Author Topic: Hessian Plane Crash 1937  (Read 62857 times)

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Hessian Plane Crash 1937
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2007, 05:22:15 AM »
The airplane accident is discussed in Hugo Vickers "Alice: Princess Andrew of Greece". The accident was weather related. From memory, I believe the plane struck a building (a factory chimney) in fog on its descent to the airport. As mentioned previously, the family were traveling to a wedding. Tragically, all were killed in the crash.

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2007, 06:08:21 AM »
The plane was a Junkers Ju 52 owned and operated by Sabena. The flight from Cologne to London was scheduled to stop at Brussels, but bad weather forced the pilot to continue to Ostend. Unfortunately, conditions were little better at Ostend, and the aircraft hit a factory chimney while circling to land at Stene Airport.

The plane was piloted by Tony Lambotte, one of the most senior and experimented pilots in Sabena service. In his crew were an engineer, a wireless operator and a mechanic.

As Lambotte brought the plane in over Steene to land, the tip of a wing touched the chimney's top. The wing and an engine were ripped away and, in a mass of flames, the Junkers crashed into the works below. All 11 passengers and crew lost their lives in the accident.

Louis' wedding was celebrated, as scheduled, the following day, and immediately he set off with his new wife, Margaret Geddes (1913-1997), daughter of Lord Geddes, to Belgium to visit the crash site. The funeral took place in Darmstadt, Hesse a few days later. Attending were Prince Philip, Gottfried, Prince of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, Prince Philip of Hesse-Kassel, Berthold, Margrave of Baden, Prince August Wilhelm of Prussia and Lord Louis Mountbatten, among others.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2007, 08:05:07 AM »
I hadn't heard that one. If you want to talk conspiracy theories, maybe the plane was sabotaged by Anna Anderson's supporters, since the Hesse family was so against her claim! :o I don't really believe that, I just brought it up because if the AA supporters can make up conspiracy theories, it goes to show you could make something out of it the other way too. I did also hear that the plane was provided by a Nazi, I'll post it if I find it. Anyway, interesting topic, thanks for posting.

As for the jewels, it is true the famous Hessian pearls and lace, worn by Princess Alice, Alix, and Ella (among others) at their weddings, was lost in the crash.

I also read a story that said Cecile was always terrified of planes, and always wore a black dress when she flew  in case she died.

I hadn't heard the story of it crashing while circling to land, I read that the plane hit a smokestack in the fog, on takeoff after a stop for refueling in Belgium. (but again I forgot what book this was in)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 08:12:36 AM by Annie »

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2007, 08:29:59 AM »
The Ostende trajedy was compounded two years later when the only surviving child of George Donatus and Cecile died of meningitis. She remained at home at the time of the wedding due to her young age.

Annie, Do you recall the source where you read the Hessian jewels were destroyed in the crash?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 08:58:49 AM by rgt9w »

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2007, 09:11:48 AM »
There have been differing theories surrounding the circumstances of the crash. Weather seems to be the predominant and most likely cause. However, it has been suggested that the Grand Duchess had gone into labor and the plane was trying to make an emergency landing. There was an aricle in the New York Times ( Nov. 23, 1937) that expressed this theory. To my knowledge this was never proven beyond all doubt. According to some media accounts at the time, the baby was found at the accident site. I don't know if this is true or unsubstantiated rumor.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2007, 12:48:43 PM »
There was already a thread on the crash so I merged the 2. Here's a bit of info on the baby from a prior page:

I have said this numerous times.  Cecilia's pregnancy was announced sometime before the crash.   The news accounts -New York Times and Washington post - among others - that the body of a stillborn child was found at the crash site.  The child was buried with its mother.

Marlene not only wrote Queen Victoria's Descendants but she also helped David Duff on his work for Hessian Tapestry (which contains some good information on the crash). If the child was indeed buried with Cecile, it would seem to definitively prove that the remains were found in the wreckage.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2007, 09:13:06 PM »
Here is an online article from TIME magazine titled "Curse of Hesse"

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,758458,00.html

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2007, 12:08:24 AM »
Yes...A lot of peope believe in that one.  :(

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2007, 08:18:29 AM »
The Ostende trajedy was compounded two years later when the only surviving child of George Donatus and Cecile died of meningitis. She remained at home at the time of the wedding due to her young age.

Annie, Do you recall the source where you read the Hessian jewels were destroyed in the crash?
It is mentioned in David Duffs "Hessian Tapestry".However not all the gems were lost....Firstly not all had been taken for the wedding...Queen Victoria's wedding gift tiara to her daughter had at least been left behind...Secondly another tiara of turqouise & moonstones survived and has been exhibited scince...

ImperialHighness

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2007, 09:25:58 AM »
From the old news archive of our newspaper:

November 16, 1937: The Grand Duke and Duchess of Hess were among 11 people killed when a Sabena Junkers JU-52 airplane crashed near Ostende, Belgium.

The plane was piloted by Tony Lambotte, one of the most senior in Sabena service, with over six hundred thousand flying miles to his credit. In his crew were an engineer, a wireless operator and a mechanic. Among those on board were the Hereditary Grand Duke Georg Donatus of Hesse (b. 1906), his wife, former Princess Cecilie of Greece and Denmark (b. 1911) who was heavily pregnant at the time, their sons Ludwig (b. 1931) and Alexander (b. 1933), the Grand Duke's widowed mother, former Princess Eleonore of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich (b. 1871), Baron Joachim von Riedesel, and Lina Henar, the children's nurse. The group were travelling to London for the wedding of the Hereditary Grand Duke's younger brother Louis. Baron von Riedsel was to be Louis' best man.
The head of the family, Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig (who had tried to end World War I by a desperate mission into Russia to confer with the Czar in 1916) had died on Oct. 9, causing the postponing of Prince Ludwig's marriage to Margaret Campbell Geddes in London for seven weeks. Grand Duke George, the new head of the family, his wife Princess Cecilia of Greece and Denmark, two sons and the Dowager Duchess, as well as the newly born son of Princess Cecilia, were all killed. The child's unexpected arrival apparently caused the tragedy, as the pilot tried to land at Ostend, an unscheduled stop. Prince Ludwig, social attache at the German Embassy in London, went ahead with the wedding on the following day; his best man was his cousin Prince Louis Mountbatten.

About the curse of the House of Hesse:

...The Hesse-Kassel constitution was symbolic--symbolic, in 1831, of the aspirations of many German liberals; symbolic, in later years, of their frustration. Once the revolutionary fervor had subsided, the elector's government made a determined effort to whittle down the powers of the legislature. Its point man in this enterprise was Ludwig Hassenpflug (1794-1862), minister of justice (1832-34) and of the interior (1832-37). Though married to the sister of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Hassenpflug did not share the political outlook of his brothers-in-law. Instead, his name quickly became a byword for reaction, lending itself to the alliterative word play "Hassenpflug--Hesse's curse" (Hassenpflug--Hessens Fluch). In fact, one of Hassenpflug;s first targets was the principal architect of the 1831 constitution, the Marburg law professor Sylvester Jordan. The legislature fought back by bringing suit against Hassenpflug in the land's highest court--the first impeachment proceedings in German constitutional history. Hassenpflug left the government in 1837. Though the tug-of-war between legislature and various ministries took on a quieter tone over the next decade, Hesse-Kassel, when the 1848 revolution broke out in Paris, very much had the appearance of a state stranded in constitutional limbo..."

So in first way, it had nothing to do with the hemophiliac disease etc. The synonyme is based on this.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:29:00 AM by Svetabel »

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 09:39:23 AM »
There is no evidence to suggest the former Grand Duke had been to Russia in 1916. That is not proved at all and was in fact dismissed from the evidence offered at the Anna Anderson trial in Germany.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »
I think the star tiara and the high tiara were lost during that flight as it was never seen again. The turquise & moonstone tiara was meant as a gify for Peg.  :(

ImperialHighness

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2007, 02:40:35 PM »
@dmitri, well if you have read my reply carefully you must have noticed that I did not say Ernie had visited Alix in 1916, but it was said in the archive of our newspaper.
To be true, I did not believe in his attempt to help Alix, because during WW I everything changed and there was no chance for him to go there. But there is a book, very rare and it s about Ernies visit to Russia in 1916, in a conducteurs costume, he tried to get there on a train, but this attempt failed. The author published the book in the 1920s and no one really cared for the book, but it shall be based on historical facts. I keep it like that- I do not care if Ernie tried to get to Alix or King George tried to save her, forit was useless and too late after Nickys abdiction.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »
@dmitri, well if you have read my reply carefully you must have noticed that I did not say Ernie had visited Alix in 1916, but it was said in the archive of our newspaper.
To be true, I did not believe in his attempt to help Alix, because during WW I everything changed and there was no chance for him to go there. But there is a book, very rare and it s about Ernies visit to Russia in 1916, in a conducteurs costume, he tried to get there on a train, but this attempt failed. The author published the book in the 1920s and no one really cared for the book, but it shall be based on historical facts. I keep it like that- I do not care if Ernie tried to get to Alix or King George tried to save her, forit was useless and too late after Nickys abdiction.

So you're saying there was a book on him having a visit in disguise published in Germany in the 1920's? Interesting!  This could be how AA got the idea! Can you tell us more? Who wrote it and when? More details? Thanks!

ImperialHighness

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2007, 01:49:23 AM »
There are two books- one is by Sergey of Markov and was published in 1929 by Amalthea and the title is "How I wanted to rescue the tsarina" (I ve translated the title for their is no English edition of the book). This one is fictional. A young soldier tries to save Alix and her children. But the book contains one historical theory about Ernie visiting Alix in 1916. That made me curious and so I searched for about three years for the other book, which is based on historical facts, mainly-
B. Himmelstjerna, "Im Angesicht der Revolution", 1922, the publisher is Steeler. The book is not in good condition, the front page is torn, so I can t tell more. But it contains photos of Ernie and the family which I have never seen before. Maybe this book is just fiction and Ernie had never been to Russia in 1916, but the book shall be based on letters, diary entries, secret letters etc.
You ve asked and here is the information, whether it is true or not, so please do not blame me. ;)