Author Topic: Hessian Plane Crash 1937  (Read 73337 times)

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
Re: Hessian Plane Crash 1937
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2007, 10:59:30 AM »
There are two books- one is by Sergey of Markov and was published in 1929 by Amalthea and the title is "How I wanted to rescue the tsarina" (I ve translated the title for their is no English edition of the book). This one is fictional. A young soldier tries to save Alix and her children. But the book contains one historical theory about Ernie visiting Alix in 1916. That made me curious and so I searched for about three years for the other book, which is based on historical facts, mainly-
B. Himmelstjerna, "Im Angesicht der Revolution", 1922, the publisher is Steeler. The book is not in good condition, the front page is torn, so I can t tell more. But it contains photos of Ernie and the family which I have never seen before. Maybe this book is just fiction and Ernie had never been to Russia in 1916, but the book shall be based on letters, diary entries, secret letters etc.
You ve asked and here is the information, whether it is true or not, so please do not blame me. ;)
There is an english edition of the Markov book !!!

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2007, 11:18:24 AM »
There are two books- one is by Sergey of Markov and was published in 1929 by Amalthea and the title is "How I wanted to rescue the tsarina" (I ve translated the title for their is no English edition of the book). This one is fictional. A young soldier tries to save Alix and her children. But the book contains one historical theory about Ernie visiting Alix in 1916. That made me curious and so I searched for about three years for the other book, which is based on historical facts, mainly-
B. Himmelstjerna, "Im Angesicht der Revolution", 1922, the publisher is Steeler. The book is not in good condition, the front page is torn, so I can t tell more. But it contains photos of Ernie and the family which I have never seen before. Maybe this book is just fiction and Ernie had never been to Russia in 1916, but the book shall be based on letters, diary entries, secret letters etc.
You ve asked and here is the information, whether it is true or not, so please do not blame me. ;)

Thank you very much for the information! No I do not blame you if it's not true, true or not, (probably not) we will never know but this is a valuable find for me because it proves there was talk of this going on as early as 1922 and in Germany so Anna Anderson COULD have known about it when she told her story, so there is nothing unique in her knowing about it! I appreciate this very much! I bet there is a lot more on AA in Germany and other countries Americans have never had access to, and a lot of it would really help to explain how she pulled off her charade if we can only find it.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »
Are we not on the topic of the plane crash ?  ???

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2007, 09:08:38 AM »
This link reproduces a picture featured in the book "Royals and the Reich". It is a photograph of Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh and other royal family members attending his sister Cecile's funeral after the plane crash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=379036&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=&ct=5
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:11:19 AM by rgt9w »

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2007, 09:29:32 AM »
Those who can read German may also find the following publications interesting:
  • Zur Erinnerung - Großherzogin Eleonore von Hessen und die Familie des Erbgroßherzogs (Wittich Verlag, Darmstadt; 48 pages), and
  • Der Großherzogin Eleonore, dem Erbgroßherzog Georg Donatus von Hessen und bei Rhein, seiner Gemahlin Cäcilie und seiner beiden Söhne Ludwig und Alexander zum Gedächtnis (6 pages).

The first publication includes pictures of the coffins at the railway station at Darmstadt, the funeral procession on its way to the burial place, the bereaved at the graves, and of course several pictures of the deceased.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »
Helen,

Are you able to post any of the picutes?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »
yes that would be very sad, but fascinating

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2007, 01:08:49 PM »
The coffins at the main railway station in Darmstadt:

Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig's son Prince Ludwig at the beginning of the funeral procession:

I think the picture in the Daily Mail article mentioned above may have been a cutout from a similar picture taken from almost the same position.

The funeral procession on its way to the Rosenhoehe through the streets of Darmstadt:

In the background, one can see Henschel's, which still exists.  This is where the funeral procession passed the Residential Palace, which is located on the right-hand side of the street.

The bereaved at the place of the burial pit at the Rosenhoehe:

The New Mausoleum with the sarcophages of Ludwig IV, Alice, Frittie and May is situated a few metres up the path in front of the bereaved. I'm not sure, but the trees in the background may be cypresses; some of the cypresses at the Rosenhoehe Park were imported from the Crimea in the 1900s.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:30:48 AM by Svetabel »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline rgt9w

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing your pictures!

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2007, 06:49:44 PM »

That's the original picture the clipping was taken.

The picture was made on 19 November 1937, the day of the funeral of Eleonore, Georg-Donatus, Cecile and their two sons, when the mourners walk through the streets of Darmstadt to Rosenhöhe.

Prince Ludwig, Ernie's second son, as chief mourner walks in front. In the first row he' s followed by Prince Gottfried of Hohenlohe-Langenburg, Princes Christorph and Philipp of Hesse-Cassel, next Prince Philip (now the Duke of Edinburgh) and Prince Berthold of Baden. In the next row the man with the naval hat is Lord Mountbatten.The third row shows George Milford-Haven, his son David and Drino Carisbroke
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:31:39 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2007, 07:23:15 PM »
I found two other interesting pictures:

This one shows the chimney of the factory. which was damaged by the plane. On the right side on the roof you can see a part of the demolished wing.

This one shows the torched wreckage of the plane.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 05:32:17 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
Thanks for the sad but interesting historical pictures. I didn't even know they existed. Ludwig must have felt so bad they all died on the way to his wedding :'(

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2007, 11:33:55 PM »
What a very interesting photo of Prince Philip at the funeral of his sister and brother-in-law and his two nephews as well as the mother of his brother-in-law .. how traumatic that must have been. I wonder whether he has ever recorded his thoughts on these losses? Certainly Prince Philip speaks fluent German which is not surprising.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2007, 12:11:16 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are very good... :)

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2007, 05:22:52 AM »
Fascinating photos and newspaper link.

Thank you both for sharing.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/