Author Topic: Surgery  (Read 11237 times)

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Surgery
« on: July 08, 2005, 03:33:15 PM »
I wasn't gonna post about it until the end of the month, but I am so nervous and freaking out about it I thought I'd just share with you guys a little early (as to why I will not be around much come the first week of August).

I'm going in for surgery on August 3rd to correct my underbite.  I saw the oral surgeon yesterday and next week I see him and the other surgeon that will be operating on me.  I'm in a lot of pain consistently in my right jaw joint, and I cannot bite into food anymore.  I was supposed to get this done at the end of May, but it got post-poned (for the third time!).   I get to go have all sorts of tests and a physical done soon.  Thank God for my dad, who has agreed to donate blood for me (the crazies want two units; and I am severely needlephobic and I would probably punch out the nurse), so I don't have to!

Anyhow, it's a five hour surgery.  I'm getting my upper jaw broken (a LeFort 1 they call it) from the rest of my face and it will be repositioned using plates, screws and cadaver bones (yuck!).  They're moving it out about 2mm.  My lower jaw is having bone removed on both sides so they can reattach it with plates and screws so I have a normal bite; the lower jaw is being moved back about 3 or 4mm.  Good times.

I'll be wired shut for three weeks (I'm praying that this is just an exaggeration and worst case scenario!) and I'll be in the hospital overnight to a few days depending on how I heal.  As I'm young and I healed very quickly from my wisdom teeth my surgeons are quite sure it'll only be overnight and I'll be okay to start eating normal foods (like pastas, mashed potatoes, etc) in mid to late August depending on when I get the wires cut.

Prayers, good wishes, blah blah needed as I firmly believe they help a lot, esp. prayers!  Hopefully things will go smoothly and I will show you terrific pictures of me in a few months.  I hopefully will be feeling well enough to go back to school on August 17th (my last year at this dratted community college, yay!).  I should get my braces off around December thru February, I'm not too sure; it all depends on how I heal and if my front teeth cooperate and close the gap there which is all the work that remains on my teeth to straighten them out.

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
Re: Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 03:37:49 PM »
dearest Lanie, I'll think about you (and pry, why not?)...
my vrey best whishes  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 04:01:15 PM »
Lanie - its a daunting prospect, but you'll be fine.   With all the members of this Forum rooting for you - of course you'll A1 before long.

We'll all be thinking and praying for you.   Please keep us informed of progress.

tsaria

Offline grandduchess_sofia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 04:08:28 PM »
Good luck!! Us british are well know for our nasty teeth so ive seen friends go through lots of oral opertaions! you'll be fine in no time!  ;D
sopsxx

Offline Rijio

• Boyar
  • ~Oosaka Koi no Uta~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 06:59:53 PM »
GOOD LUCK for your surgery
everything will go well, sure!  :)

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 07:54:50 PM »
Lanie you will be in my prayers and I'll definitely send good thoughts for you as well.  

*Hugs* and try not to worry, though I know it's not exactly the easiest thing to do right now.  

*Hugs* again
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 07:56:54 PM »
Lanie,
Good luck. I will keep you in my heart and in my prayers. I think you will do just fine.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline xX_Mashka_Xx

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Mashka's dedication
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 08:20:46 PM »
That sounds awful Lanie. I wish you the best of luck, and have a speedy recovery! :)

Offline Inquiring_Mind

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 09:16:55 PM »
Hi Lanie,

My son had an accident and sustained a broken jaw a few years ago. He has a metal plate and screws in his jaw. The doctor did a wonderful job. You cannot tell and he is as beautiful as ever. (That's the mom in me ) He doesn't set off metal detectors. (that's the comedian in me).

I know your surgery will be more involved. But I was amazed at what they were able to accomplish. He was medicated and didn't complain about much pain and he was able to eat sooner than we expected.

Hang in there. After it's all over you will be the better for it.

I was going to wish you all the luck in the world but I think I will wish for you peace of mind.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Inquiring_Mind »
I chose the road less traveled and now...where the heck am I????

Offline Donielle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2005, 09:47:12 PM »
Good luck Lanie,My prayers for your surgery and recovery.You are so brave and wise to share your concerns.By making others a part of your life you recieve great energy and comfort. Thank you for your trust.  :)-D

Offline otmafan

• Knyaz
  • In Loving Memory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 09:47:17 PM »
I'm thinking about you Lanie. I'm sure you will do fine. Try not to be nervous and remember this will help you.   ;)

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2005, 09:58:08 PM »
Hey Lanie!
I do hope things go well. I know all of us here will be giving you good wishes or prayer. I really do hope things turn out for the best. *hugs*  :-*

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2005, 10:09:30 PM »
Lanie, everything will be good.
(I have to go in 4 days in Russian Mecca - Troitse Sergiev Monastery , so I will pray for you too)

bluetoria

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 11:30:34 AM »
Lanie, I hope your recovery is very speedy.  :)

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 01:19:13 PM »
My dearest Princess of Wales,  (I call Lanie that because she has a boyfriend named David and her favorite Romanov is Olga Nikolaievna)

I hope you're surgery and recovery goes well. Your in my prayers.

your faithful friend Mandie
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Maria_Pavlovna »