Author Topic: A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?  (Read 10359 times)

Offline leanora

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:15:31 PM »
Hello
;)

I would want to know if there are biographies of the GD individually (except for Anastasia of course)... I have never seen a book which woud have been titled "Olga Nicolaevna: the story of a short life" for instance or "Tatiana: the mysterious daughter of the last tsar"...Even the excellent book of Arturo beeche "the grand duchesses" doesn't give a lot of details on the GD individually...I know the poor young girls had short lifes.. but I think that with all the things we know about the IF, it would have been possible for a writer to publish books on each of them..

Offline dac87

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:39:49 PM »
That would be cool... I think it would be even better for four seperate authors to write them that way you can get different styles for the different GD.  Kinda like the classic tv miniseries "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" which was split into six seperate parts for each wife written by six seperate historians!

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 08:23:31 PM »
While something like this would indeed be nice, almost no publisher would ever consider publishing it. Unfortunately, the only Grand Duchess who most people fixate upon is Anastasia, while the rest are just "there" basically. No publisher is going to publish something very few people will buy or want to read. Also, much of the information that we have about the Grand Duchesses is repeated continuously, so it would be extremely hard to create a whole book on one Grand Duchess. Perhaps a publisher specializing in the publication of historic or royal works might consider it, like Royal Digest or EuroHistory, but it's highly unlikely.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:03:07 PM »
^ I agree 100%....there is not much that hasn't already been written about the other three Grand Duchesses, and the information about them that isn't entirely speculation is, unfortunatley, scant.  :-/

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 12:14:10 AM »
On the other hand I do think a small book (on the Anastasia's Album model) could be written focusing only on the daughters of NII as a whole (though not individually). Perhaps a chapter or two devoted to each and with lots of pictures.

Offline Jane

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 02:53:36 PM »
While something like this would indeed be nice, almost no publisher would ever consider publishing it. Unfortunately, the only Grand Duchess who most people fixate upon is Anastasia, while the rest are just "there" basically. No publisher is going to publish something very few people will buy or want to read. Also, much of the information that we have about the Grand Duchesses is repeated continuously, so it would be extremely hard to create a whole book on one Grand Duchess. Perhaps a publisher specializing in the publication of historic or royal works might consider it, like Royal Digest or EuroHistory, but it's highly unlikely.

I agree.  I think as much as can be known about them is already known.  Their short lives were very sheltered.  They did not leave behind voluminous levels of correspondence.  I don't see them as remotely viable subjects for a serious scholarly work, but the suggestion of a type of children's book, like the one Jackie3 made, would make more sense.

Finelly

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:45:39 PM »
Agreed.  There's not much evidence about the girls' internal lives.  They didn't have a lot of life experiences since they were so sheltered.  They didn't leave behind much of a record.

In addition, because they were OTMA instead of being counted as individuals, much of the info we have is about them as a quartet.

Even a childrens' book would be rather insipid.  

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 05:09:54 PM »
I think if a book about them were to be published it would need to be 'fleshed out' with a lot of photos. I think a reasonable book could be pulled together of the lives of the five children, not necessarily a big one, nor even perhaps an interesting one but it could be done, esp. if someone had access to GARF and what written records (diaries, correspondence) remains. However like I've pointed out elsewhere - diaries in those days were purely a record of what one did with very little in the way of thoughts and inner personality coming through. There should be  areasonable amount of stuff about concerning Olga, Tatiana and Alexei - the big pair in view of their war work, and Alexei because he was heir. I don't think you'd find too much about Maria and Anastasia though.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 05:12:38 PM »
How could one possibly write a children's book about this family without coming to a less-than-fairy tale ending ?  The only reason they are known at all is because of their deaths. Is this the sort of thing you would want to send your child to bed with ?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 05:29:32 PM »
No, you couldn't really do it as a children's book. But as a biography i don't think it a bad idea, but like I say it would need to be about all the children to have any sort of length to it. (And even then it wouldn't be a weighty tome).

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »
Exactly, there is not a great deal to say about them without turning them fairy tales. Even the little religous "saints" books would emphasise their "passion bearing" I would think.
I would say that Arturo's book The Grand Duchesses with the article on OTMA by Grant Menzies says about all there is to say about them. That is 24 pages of text and bibliography.
On another thought, a coffe table picture book might be viable, IF the copyrights could be worked out and IF new, unseen or rare pictures were used. But even this would be too costly for a "children's book".
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2005, 06:23:33 PM »
In line with what most people say here, I think that a coffee table book with five sections with pics and captions, the way Charlotte did in her photo books, of each child might be good.  There are SO many photos of each, and it might be very nice....
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 01:13:08 AM »

I agree.  I think as much as can be known about them is already known.  Their short lives were very sheltered.  They did not leave behind voluminous levels of correspondence.  I don't see them as remotely viable subjects for a serious scholarly work, but the suggestion of a type of children's book, like the one Jackie3 made, would make more sense.

I agree. I think that everything that has been written already is all that can be said. I can't imagine how many other ways there are to describe them or what their personalities/habits were. Due to the shortness of their lives, there is not much to record, as mentioned, in terms of life experiences, as there clearly would be for Alix or Nicky. I'd imagine that most people are not interested in the daily doings of their lives anyway, but would rather focus on the survival/discovery of the bones issue. Their deaths, as Finelly mentioned, is primarily the only reason they are famous.

A children's book like Anastasia's Album would probably be the way to go, but the lack of exposure the public has had to the other three would, I imagine, affect how many people actually buy the book. And as the target audience would mainly be children, who I'm sure have largely never heard of Olga, Tatiana, or Marie, I sincerely don't think it would sell well. Anastasia has had enough exposure to the world through movies etc. that it could succeed with her. I also believe that it would have to be full of pictures, because their truly wouldn't be that much left to say if Anastasia is removed. Anastasia generally takes up a large chunk of any biography on OTMA, and without it, it would be a very small, short book.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

bluetoria

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 11:57:32 AM »
...I think that a coffee table book with five sections with pics and captions, the way Charlotte did in her photo books, of each child might be good.  

At risk of revealing my ignorance  ::) please can someone explain what exactly is a coffee table book? I imagine it to mean the kind of things you pick up in a doctor's surgery (I don't mean diseases!!  ;D) or dentist's waiting room??

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
Re:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 12:03:27 PM »
From my understanding. A coffee table book is mostly filled with pictures and little quipits on information. So that one can drink their coffee while flipping through the book, and then go on their way once the coffee is done.
In other words, just a book to flip through that will give you info you can digest in little bits. So that the reader isn't commited to reading everything all at once.
I am horrid at discribing what I am trying to. Sorry  :-/