Author Topic: A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?  (Read 11157 times)

Offline elfwine

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2005, 12:39:20 PM »
"Coffee table books" are often rather large - so they would not fit on on a standard bookshelf, rather they rest on a coffee table...
They are often full of wonderful pictures, but limited text.
Runes shall ye know and righly read staves
Very great staves.
Powerful staves.

bluetoria

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2005, 12:49:48 PM »
Thank you, Laura, you explained it perfectly!  :)
And thank you elfwine (love the name - something little people celebrate with  :)) for your explanation as to the name!

rskkiya

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »
While something like this would indeed be nice, almost no publisher would ever consider publishing it. Unfortunately, the only Grand Duchess who most people fixate upon is Anastasia, while the rest are just "there" basically. No publisher is going to publish something very few people will buy or want to read. Also, much of the information that we have about the Grand Duchesses is repeated continuously, so it would be extremely hard to create a whole book on one Grand Duchess. Perhaps a publisher specializing in the publication of historic or royal works might consider it, like Royal Digest or EuroHistory, but it's highly unlikely.

This is an idea ... is there a book dedicated only to OTMA? I feel certain that there are enough photos !

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2005, 01:23:37 PM »
The coffee table book is probably the only thing that could possibly be published, but there again, the pictures would have to be some new or rare. At the price of such [any] books, no one is going to buy one that has only pictures they have seen in a dozen other books.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline elfwine

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2005, 02:03:02 PM »
And thank you elfwine (love the name - something little people celebrate with :)) for your explanation as to the name!

it's an anglo saxon name I believe... also alfwyn
or alfvinu
Runes shall ye know and righly read staves
Very great staves.
Powerful staves.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Art in Avatar done by Lisa!
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2005, 02:34:59 PM »
I'm glad what I said made sense to someone, lol
I think publishing a coffeetable book on the GD's would be a wonderful idea. I can see it selling like hot-cakes too

Offline Jane

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2005, 04:10:49 PM »
The coffee table book is probably the only thing that could possibly be published, but there again, the pictures would have to be some new or rare. At the price of such [any] books, no one is going to buy one that has only pictures they have seen in a dozen other books.

I agree fully with you, Robert. Besides, coffee-table books are not cheap to produce (or at least, not cheap to produce well) and publish. Hence their often very expensive list price. And I cannot imagine a book of re-tread photos being all that well-received. Unless there were many rare and previously unseen photos, what's the point? Many of the standard photo books already have culled the best of the Beinecke and other collections, so that even those photos are quite-commonplace. I can't imagine there is a treasure trove of unseen stuff out there still.

ETA: Just my thoughts, mind you. No offense.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Jane »

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2005, 08:06:59 PM »
I too think it would be a rather silly idea.  A coffee table type book would be a better idea, with photographs from GARF and whatnot that have not been published and short biographies on each of the girls.  I've been working on a little biography of GD Tatiana, hoping to get it published, and I've got some interesting letters she sent from Tobolsk to a friend, and some other things but that's because I'm trying not to stick to the old "blah blah she was the Governess of the children yadda yadda" stuff.  It's really difficult, especially as I don't have access to any archives in Russia and have been to the Hoover Institution at Stanford as my only real research (though it was fun!).

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2005, 09:13:14 PM »
Dealing with copyright issues with the GARF is a major undertaking and prohibitively expensive.

How many coffee table books on NII and family can we have?  yes there is space in the market for something like it, but it would have to include some more out of the norm information so it stands on its own, and not just banking on the family's tragedy.

My two cents' worth...

Arturo Beche
--
Arturo Beche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2005, 09:22:38 PM »
Exactly Arturo, as we have been saying. Such a book would have to have unique or at least rare pictures properly and accurately captioned. As well as a LOT of them ! Then the mass market price would probably be about 65-75 $$$ ! A limited, high quality edition would be even more. Neither would recover the cost to all involved, in my opinion as the market is so limited.
Any text would just be re-hashing what has already been said and of course a treatment of their deaths to make it a "tribute" book.
I would most likely not buy it. [and as you know, I buy just about anything !]
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Ssyentz

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2005, 09:50:20 AM »
Let's use some imagination here!  For instance, one could do some contrasting regarding specific issues, concepts, people, etc.  Much relevant  information is available, but it's generally submerged within varying presentations of OTMA as a group.  

Had I the time right now, I'd be able to research and expand.  The concept of individual studies, I think, would, perhaps, be not only a terrific basis for the "coffee table" content but also a foundation for more developing valid, indepth content dedicated to each of the group.  I think the "stuff" is out there.  Remember that we have the most information (supposedly!) about the one who had the shortest life!

This idea has definitely made my "delving in the near future" list!  

Offline Mashka_Fan

• Maria Nikolaievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2005, 01:59:34 AM »
I would love to have a book on the Grand Duchesses, but like everyone has said, there really isn't much to say about them, which I think is very sad.

I have heard from somewhere on this site that there is a book scheduled to be published next year about the five children. I think it was going to be called something like Born in the Purple, the Five Children of the Tsar Nicholas II. Can anyone confirm this?

*~Mashka_Fan~*

P.S. Sorry if I'm mistaken! :)
I was always afraid of the wings growing, and I am glad to see she is only a human child. -Tsar Nicholas II referring to Grand Duchess Maria.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 08:31:40 PM »
This is random but...would there be a market for a young adult/teen book that is historical fiction about one of the girls?

Offline Mashka_Fan

• Maria Nikolaievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 02:24:07 AM »
There already is one! :D It is called The Snow Mountain, and it is by Catherine Gavin. The main character is the Grand Duchess Olga Nicolaevna. It's more of a romance story between Grand Duchess Olga and an officer called Semen Karlovich. I haven't finished it yet so I can't say much about it.

Here is the link to where it has already been discussed:

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Books;action=display;num=1089313314

In answer to your question, Margarita Markovna, I imagine there may be a market out there since a historical fiction book on one of the Grand Duchesses has already been published before. (The Snow Mountain) Why wouldn't they publish another one again? Though I'm not sure anyone would write another one, you never know! :) Were you planning on writing one yourself? If you do, I'll be one of the first to buy it! ;D Or maybe I could write one! That would be fun! ;)

*~Mashka_Fan~*
I was always afraid of the wings growing, and I am glad to see she is only a human child. -Tsar Nicholas II referring to Grand Duchess Maria.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:01 AM »
I actually was planning on writing one for each of the girls except perhaps Anastasia. I like to focus on the three daughters that don't get a lot of attention now. The other day, I was drawing and asked a friend "Which daughter should I draw?" and she said "Anastasia." I asked her why, to which she replied that it was the only one she knew about. Which is why I've been reading a lot on OTM. :)