Author Topic: A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?  (Read 10392 times)

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
Re: A book for each daughter of Nicholas II?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 04:49:29 PM »
I understand there are several other fictional books aimed at a teen/young adult audience about the IF not just Snow Mountain, for example "Summer's Day is Done".

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 04:58:09 PM »
Most novelizations are pretty bad--and are focused on Anastasia, especially for children/young teenagers because that's all anyone knows about.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2005, 09:28:40 PM »
Most novelizations are pretty bad--and are focused on Anastasia, especially for children/young teenagers because that's all anyone knows about.

Exactly what ticks me off so much. The other three did exist.

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 06:48:20 PM »
I would love to have a book on the Grand Duchesses, but like everyone has said, there really isn't much to say about them, which I think is very sad.

I have heard from somewhere on this site that there is a book scheduled to be published next year about the five children. I think it was going to be called something like Born in the Purple, the Five Children of the Tsar Nicholas II. Can anyone confirm this?

*~Mashka_Fan~*

P.S. Sorry if I'm mistaken! :)

Mashka,
This is indeed true, although I haven't heard anymore about the book. It is supposed to be published next year by Gilbert's Royal Books. The actual title is Born in the Purple: The Private World of the Children of Tsar Nicholas II.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2005, 08:15:40 PM »
This seems like a good book. Is there a way to order it now?

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
I have a short russian "book" (in fact a brochure) about Olga Nicolaevna. It is called "a russian girl" (Russkaia devushka). And is not of very high quality, an introduction or something like that, on cheep paper, with well known pictures and classic information(Gilliard, letters of the Empress and so on). I found also 2 or 3 interesting details. If someone is interested, I can make a copy.
Lanie, I read with great interested about your future biography of Tatiana Nikolaevna. Did you heard about the wounded Melik-Adamov? Do you know how interesting is the Diary of V.I. Chebotareva about Tatiana, and aslo shorts memories of wounded. There are anecdotes which show Tatiana in an interesting way, or, to be more clear, show her as a real person and not an icon.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »
By the way, I think a book for at least the 2 elder daugher of the last tsar would not be so stupid, IF someone had the possibily and desire 1) to study and publish their diaries, or part of them 2) find and published unknown pictures of GARF 3) the most important, would find an interesting for the history point of view. For example> I War, lazarets and hospitals in the eyes of Olga or Tatiana. Or> being daughter of the last Tsar. My imagination is poor and I have no time, but I am sure IT IS possible to find such a theme. Such a book could have some success, in Russia at the moment, orthodox people have a great interest for the imperial family. But the problem is that a lot of orthodox books about this thema are too "pink", too naive. I can understand why, but it make me a little bit nervous after 2 or 3 books of that type :-/...!

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2005, 05:37:43 PM »
I have a short russian "book" (in fact a brochure) about Olga Nicolaevna. It is called "a russian girl" (Russkaia devushka). And is not of very high quality, an introduction or something like that, on cheep paper, with well known pictures and classic information(Gilliard, letters of the Empress and so on). I found also 2 or 3 interesting details. If someone is interested, I can make a copy.
Lanie, I read with great interested about your future biography of Tatiana Nikolaevna. Did you heard about the wounded Melik-Adamov? Do you know how interesting is the Diary of V.I. Chebotareva about Tatiana, and aslo shorts memories of wounded. There are anecdotes which show Tatiana in an interesting way, or, to be more clear, show her as a real person and not an icon.

I have some information about V. I. Chebotareva from a book her son published in English, so I've got some of her diary entries.  I've never heard about Melik-Adamov though...

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2005, 10:24:46 PM »
Matushka, I would love a photocopy of the little brochure on Olga Nikolaevna. I will send you a private email!

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2005, 07:09:18 AM »
Lanie, I have very few information about Melik-Adamov, I hoped you did, but something I can say. We know about Malama, and, for Olga at this period, "Dimitri" (Malama?). But our imperial nurses had different crushes, or just friendly and close relations with other wounded: "Dimitri", Shakh-Bagov (do you heard this name?) and the mysterious Kassianov we read about in her diary for Olga, Malama, and as I guess, this Melik-Adamov for Tatiana. Some words about him in the shorts memories of Ivan Beliaev. I try to make a "translation": "grand-duchess T. N. had also "her" wounded, the ugly Melik-Adamov, who was too praporchshik (sorry, I do not know the english for this rank)  of the Erivanskogo Regiment. He was jooking all the time, and young people meet his jokes with pleasure. He was jumping on one leg (this other was in gips) and played crocket with great enthousiam".
An entry of the diary of V. I. Chebotareva, for 30 of july 1915: "... then were sitting [with us] Melik-Adamov and Chakh-Bagov." I continue in russian, I think you will understand: "skolko poeticheskoi laski vnosit Tatiana Nikolaevna! [...] Kak ona horoshaya, chistaya i glubokaya devushka! molodost tianet k molodosti, i kak svetatsia ee glazki! Ujasno horoshaya".
As you see, very poor information. And it does not changing anything, just an interesting detail. Chebotareva had a very good relationship with Tatiana, and her diary is really interesting to know the second of the 4 sisters. It was published by her daughter (Valentina Porphirevna Chebotareva-Bill) in an american journal in russian: Novy Journal, numero 181, New York, 1990. I wrote the editor (they have a site), I wanted to buy it, but had no answer. As you are in America, perhaps will you have more chance to find this numer of "Novy journal", perhaps in a library. In that case, please, tell me!
I am sorry, it is problably not the right place to post this...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by matushka »

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2005, 01:44:28 PM »

Matushka, I think I bought the same brochure/booklet last year from Tallinn (can't red russian, but it must be the same brochure!) - Does you copy have Alix & Tatiana pictured on the cover, although the booklet is about Olga? Mine does.

Katia

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2005, 02:58:51 PM »
Yes, Katia,  it is indeed the same brochure. I do not know why, the author put the famous and beautiful picture of Tatiana and her mother in 1913, even if the book is about Olga. I read it again, today: it is basic, but not so bad as I said ;)
Forgot to say that there is (in russian) a new book about the 5 children, it is called "Tsarskie deti" (Imperial children). There is some interesting documents (for example a few letters I did not know), but it is also very basic, with classic information.

Offline Katia

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2005, 01:25:00 AM »
Thanks Matushka! I always tought it must be some kind of mistake, the cover photo. But it's beautiful, one of my favorite photos of Alix & Tatiana!

Wow the new Russian book! Are there many photos in it?

Katia

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2005, 06:28:13 AM »
No, there are only a few very famous pictures.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2005, 12:28:07 AM »
.... that there is (in russian) a new book about the 5 children, it is called "Tsarskie deti" (Imperial children). There is some interesting documents (for example a few letters I did not know), but it is also very basic, with classic information.

I have seen this book on the Russian market, and was curious about it, and kept holding off in buying it. Now I won't bother purchasing it. Thanks for honest opinion.  ;D

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/