Author Topic: Pfff what I can't understand.  (Read 7281 times)

Offline grandduchess_sofia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Pfff what I can't understand.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2005, 02:45:35 PM »
did they have nail varnish then?  ;) ;D ;D ;)
sopsxx

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2005, 05:00:47 PM »
Leave Anna alone!

Just don't read what you don't like.  Try to find something interesting yourself, to add to and make the postings worth reading.

Most of us are here to LEARN only.  Isn't it fabulous to be able to pick our author's and learned guests brains...the possibilities are endless.  Lets not abuse it.

..Arleen

Offline etonexile

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2005, 11:08:02 AM »
did they have nail varnish then?  ;) ;D ;D ;)
sopsxx

only "fast" women used nail enamel and obvious make-up before the 20's...ironic how the pendulum swings...my mummy was a "hippie" in the 60's/70's...she never wore make-up....it was a form of "explotation" for women...she now wears make-up...t-heezer... ;D

Offline grandduchess_sofia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2005, 02:13:13 PM »
i wonder if will ever swing back and people will not wear make up again? i doubt it, i for one couldn't live without my presed powder!  ;D
sopsxx

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2005, 03:14:25 PM »
I hope Prince William will mary me, so I could be Queen of England (so stupid).

Lol. I think somewhere in the Windsor thread there's something to that effect which I posted. Yes, I was joking. ::)

Anyway, I agree to the original post. The ones that really irritate me the most is the amount of "pretty" threads. All we need is one... MAYBE two if the first one got too long. Also, as much as I am a part of it, I feel there are far too many colored photo threads. What are we on now... the 6th? And that's just in the IF thread. There are others in various other threads. With learning how to post pictures comes responsibility, and some members post irresponsibly...and not just in the colored photos threads either. Perhaps if everyone would just post a link to their picture instead of actually posting it, it wouldn't tax computers so much so the thread could go more than 8 pages long.

i wonder if will ever swing back and people will not wear make up again? i doubt it, i for one couldn't live without my presed powder!  ;D

Believe it or not, it's a rare day indeed when I wear makeup. I've almost always been like this, but I guess when your skin rebels when you do wear it, it's just incentive NOT to put it on! I feel that society puts too much emphasis on stuff like made up beauty, so it'll be a very happy day for me when it becomes the fashion not to wear makeup.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by nerdycool »

Alixz

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 09:47:54 AM »
Teddy  I have only been posting for a short time, but I have been reading (lurking) a while longer.

I just told my husband last night, that this site confuses me.

I love the new information and (to me) new photographs I have now collected for my own enjoyment.

However, I too have noticed the one word answers and "dead end" questions with subjective answers.

I so enjoy the international composition of the forum and the age range.

It often amazes me to find that someone I took for an "adult" turns out to be a teenager with incredible knowledge and insight.  Of course not only adults are entitled to incredible insight and knowlegde on any subject.

I am humbled by the icons of authorship who post here and after my first stumbling mis-posts highly aware that some may be posting under a user name and I might be discussing an author's point of view with that author!  It is intoxicating!

I have mentioned in another thread that it takes me forever to correct and edit my own posts.  I try not to "type and run".  

I hope everyone will take your advice and Anna's, too.
I don't think that anyone is being overly critical of anyone else.

As for me, my main complaint is the starting of "new" threads that are dead end or unnecessary because the thread starter has just not read the Forum user tips.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alixz »

AlexP

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2005, 10:07:10 AM »

Just don't read what you don't like.  Try to find something interesting yourself, to add to and make the postings worth reading.

Most of us are here to LEARN only.  Isn't it fabulous to be able to pick our author's and learned guests brains...the possibilities are endless.  Lets not abuse it.

..Arleen
[/color]

I agree with Arleen here completely.   This Board is like a well-stocked and multi-storied department store.  There is everything that one needs here and it caters to all ages, as it should.

I work with little children professionally here in China and I never, ever, ever refuse a little child an answer to a question.  A child's mind is an object of wonder and we should not expect it to be on an adult-level but we should encourage them to ask questions and to seek answers so that in turn they may encourage their children.  A very wise man once : "Suffer not the little children for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven".

When I come across a posting on this site that belongs to the little ones, I take extra care and extra patience in answering their question because another and a different wise man said "It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness".

So please, all, tolerance, kindness and generosity.  As one gives, so does one receive.

Thanks, Arleen, for the great posting.

With all of the best from Shanghai,

A.A.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2005, 10:43:06 AM »
Lol, just when I thought my day was going so well...
I opened up this site and got to the line after Anastasia,
without really reading it, ..thinking someone was addressing me, and I thought, how generous of someone to state their sentiments, [and at my advanced age to receive a lovely statement as such :)]
and I read a little more about  those being younger, and I suddenly realized, 'wake up', it's Friday, you missed a day! Their NOT talking about you [tatiana], and you certainly have gone way passed 'younger'.

But seriously, I agree with using common good sense.
I may be a little devil by posting my thoughts on this as in the above, but I just had to add some levity. Thanks for allowing me to share my thoughts. Your all always so very kind, and I enjoy all of your input, and the chance to catch up on this wonderful website of history.

Tania
TatianaA

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2005, 06:32:39 AM »
This tread is going about all the reply's with death ends and all weird/stuppid reply's who only says:

Oh Anastasia is the most prettiest.

I love Tatiana so much.  :-*

I wash wondering if Alexandra had a tooth brush.  ;D

Did Maria P and Tatiana K. had sleeping party's.

Not to mention the:

Ohs'  

Ah wat nice..

I don't know what you mean..

Alexei is so handsome.

But I was thinking. Maybe we (all Forum Members) must check all our personal "weird/stupid" reply's (such like above) and remove them with the remove button. :D

If we all do this, this website will be refreshed and cleaned up of all those answers who almost nobody wants to read. ;D

What do you think? Is this an idea?

Offline Tatia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
This tread is going about all the reply's with death ends and all weird/stuppid reply's who only says:

Oh Anastasia is the most prettiest.

I love Tatiana so much.  :-*

I wash wondering if Alexandra had a tooth brush.  ;D

Did Maria P and Tatiana K. had sleeping party's.

Not to mention the:

Ohs'  

Ah wat nice..

I don't know what you mean..

Alexei is so handsome.

But I was thinking. Maybe we (all Forum Members) must check all our personal "weird/stupid" reply's (such like above) and remove them with the remove button. :D

If we all do this, this website will be refreshed and cleaned up of all those answers who almost nobody wants to read. ;D

What do you think? Is this an idea?

Then you must delete this post of yours too :P

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2005, 07:13:38 PM »
Confusing? Sorry but this is what I mean. Everyone who don't understand something or haves nothing to say don't think, but still reply! Thats confusing.

This thread is confusing! (start with yourself please).
I read 100's of threads who only tells:

Oh...
Aaah
Anastasia was fat
Did Maria P the elder paint her nails?
Grrrrrrrr....
 ???
 :Dok

Thats is some answers who are confusing. And if you read the hole tread you know more. So please think, before you answer. :(

No, I was trying to be funny. Guess it didn't work. I will remove the offending post and leave this thread.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2005, 08:09:14 PM »
Teddy and Anna have made some excellent points. I'll reemphasize them and add my own two kopeks.

1.  Many posters need to use instant messaging instead of clogging the threads with personal and/or monosyllabic replies that have zero value for the majority of posters.

2.  Certain topics are reappearing, ad nauseum, in multiple threads. Would-be posters need to take the time to READ (now there's a concept! ;) ) previous threads before they proceed to reinvent the wheel.

3.  Certain topics are trivializing their subjects. I agree it's important--necessary, in fact--to relate our own times to historical times. But this website is not a fanzine. If some posters wish to discuss the imperial family in the same tone they use to discuss chicks called Brittney or that cute boy in their second period English class, well--again--instant messaging is the way to go.

4. Personal commentary is fine, but again, tone can make or break an entry. I have no problem with posts having to do with the types of cosmetics, personal care items, etc., that people of that time used or didn't use, or with matters of diet, nutrition, etc. But subjective opinions (i.e., so-and-so is the prettiest/handsomest/fattest, etc.) are the realm of five year olds. Those who have found this website should be smart enough and mature enough not to sound so limited.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2006, 10:40:46 AM »
1.  Many posters need to use instant messaging instead of clogging the threads with personal and/or monosyllabic replies that have zero value for the majority of posters.

We have already 8014 topics. For me thats was a reason to look trough all the Forum Announcements.
And I thought, because we have already a topic for NEW MEMBERS, I counted al the topics who were posted in the past.

There were certainly 23 other threads with the title "HI I'm a new member".  Because we have nowadays a special topic for New Members, is'nt it an idea to remove te old ones?

By the way, is the section Forum Announcements not only for FA and the moderators to start a thread?

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2006, 12:39:25 PM »
Please feel free to start any thread of your choosing!

marina

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 06:59:29 AM »
Please Teddy, I think this is FA's work; they know what they must do!