Author Topic: discussion about Orthodoxy (2)  (Read 109120 times)

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
Re: discussion about Orthodoxy (2)
« Reply #360 on: January 01, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

Patriarch Bartholomaios I, Pope John Paul II , Pope's aide Piero Marini, and Anglican Bishop Richard Garrard, from left in front of the altar, pray in Assisi's St Francis lower basilica, central Italy, Thursday, Jan. 24, 2002. (AP Photo/Plinio Lepri)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #361 on: January 01, 2006, 05:03:26 PM »

Russian Orthodox Patriarch Alexy II releases white doves in Donskoi Monastery in Moscow, Saturday, April 7, 2001, to mark Russian Orthodox holiday of the Annunciation. (AP Photo/str)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #362 on: January 01, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »

Ethiopian Orthodox priests hold the image of late Emperor Haile Selassie atop a casket containing his remains at the beginning of a ceremony Sunday, Nov. 5, 2000 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Ethiopian Patriarch Paulus sits in the background. Bells tolled and thousands of Ethiopians wailed and applauded Sunday as Selassie, their last emperor, was finally laid to rest 25 years after his mysterious death. (AP Photo/Boris Grdnanoski)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #363 on: January 01, 2006, 05:11:55 PM »

Pope Shedouh III throws holy water on the site of the future St. Mary and St. Mena Coptic Orthodox Church Wednesday, Aug. 25, 1999 in Cranston, R.I. Egyptian Pope Shedouh, the patriarch who leads an estimated 10 million Coptic Christians worldwide, was on a pastoral visit of churches in the United States and Canada. (AP Photo/Matt York)

Scott Carroll, the head of an archaeological expedition from Michigan University, holds up an icon found in the ruins of the 1000-year-old Coptic Christian monastery of Short John near the village of Waady Al-Natron in the Western desert of Egypt, some 100 kilometres, (62 miles) northwest of Cairo Sunday March 31, 1996. The expedition has been working in this site for the past year. Some 50 other monasteries are believed to be submerged in the same area. (AP Photo/str)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by palimpsest »
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #364 on: January 01, 2006, 05:21:16 PM »

Walters Art Museum curator C. Griffith Mann stands next to the icon of "Saint George on Horseback" which is part of the new exhibit "Sacred Arts and City Life : The Glory of Medieval Novgorod" at the Walters Art Gallery Nov. 18, 2005, in Baltimore. (AP Photo/Gail Burton)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #365 on: January 01, 2006, 05:32:14 PM »

Christie's employee Sandra Nedvetskaia looks into a silver gilt and enamel Russian triptych icon that was formerly in the possesion of Tsar Alexis, son of Tsar Nicolas II, at a press preview for the Christie's Russian Works of Art auction sale in central London, Monday Nov. 28, 2005. The icon is estimated to reach between GBP220,000-280,000 (US$358,380-456,120) at the sale on Nov. 30, 2005. (AP Photo/Jane Mingay)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #366 on: January 01, 2006, 05:48:16 PM »

The icon of Virgin Mary is seen at the Nicula Monastery some 450 kilometers (280 miles) northwest of Bucharest, Monday Aug. 15, 2005. More than 100,000 believers flocked to an ancient monastery in the hills of northwest Romania on Monday to kiss an icon believed to have miraculous healing powers. According to legend, the icon of the Weeping Virgin, painted in 1691, wept for 26 days in 1699. The first recorded miracle occurred in 1701 when it is said to have cured an army officer's wife who was going blind. (AP Photo/Simion Mechno/ROMPRES)

Crowds of Romanian Orthodox worshippers wait for their turn to kiss the icon of Virgin Mary at the Nicula Monastery some 450 kilometers (280 miles) northwest of Bucharest, Monday Aug. 15, 2005. More than 100,000 believers flocked to an ancient monastery in the hills of northwest Romania on Monday to kiss an icon believed to have miraculous healing powers. According to legend, the icon of the Weeping Virgin, painted in 1691, wept for 26 days in 1699. The first recorded miracle occurred in 1701 when it is said to have cured an army officer's wife who was going blind. (AP Photo/Simion Mechno/ROMPRES)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #367 on: January 01, 2006, 05:56:58 PM »

Pilgrims make their way to the Church of Panagia Evagelistria, (Our Lady of Good Tidings) Saturday, Aug. 13, 2005 in Tinos, Greece. Every year, thousands of the devout crawl up a hill _ for a kilometer, on their hands and knees _ in a pilgrimage to a church where a revered icon is believed to have the power to perform miracles. Tinos, also called the the island of `Our Lady', is where a yearly pilgrimage takes place at the date of the ascension of Virgin Mary on August 15. (AP Photo/Dusan Vranic)

ADVANCE FOR SUNDAY FEB 24--Rev. Marian Zalecki stands in the sanctuary with the Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa's most sacred posesion, a copy of the venerated icon of Our Lady of Czestochowa, right, Friday, Feb. 15, 2002 in Doylestown, Pa. The shrine is visited by close to 500,000 people annually.(AP Photo/Chris Gardner)

Catholic faithful from Belarus and neighboring countries carry candles during a religious festival marking the miracle-working icon known as the Mother of God of Budslav in the Belarus village of Budslav, some 150 km (93 miles) north of Minsk, early Saturday, July 2, 2005. The festival is an annual event. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)

Catholic devotees pray in front of the icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at a Catholic church in Manila, Philippines on Friday April 1, 2005. Filipinos in this predominantly Roman Catholic nation offered prayers after hearing that Pope John Paul II's frail health had worsened. (AP Photo/Bullit Marquez)

Cardinal Walter Kasper blesses the Mother of God of Kazan icon with incense during a solemn Mass in St. Peter's Basilica, at the Vatican, Thursday, Aug. 26, 2004. Cardinal Kasper, president of the Vatican office for relations with other Christian denominations, will head the delegation going to Moscow next Aug. 28 to return the Icon to Russian Christian Ortodox Church. (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia)

A reproduction of the icon of Mother of God of Kazan. In a major gesture toward Russian Orthodox Christians, Pope John Paul II will return the revered icon that the Vatican has held for three decades, the Vatican said Saturday, July 10, 2004. The icon will be taken to Russia on Aug. 28 by a Vatican delegation still to be named, said papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls. (AP Photo)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #368 on: January 01, 2006, 05:57:24 PM »

A visitor looks at a mosaic icon from Byzanz in the Wallraf-Richartz-Museum in Cologne, western Germany, Thursday, June 30, 2005. The museum presents in the exhibition "Aspects of Christ" precious works of mainly Christian art in collaboration with the Vatican, on the occation of the World Youth Day. (AP Photo/Hermann J. Knippertz)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #369 on: January 01, 2006, 06:23:43 PM »

A Russian Orthodox faithful kisses one of the most significant Russian Orthodox icons, the miracle-working Virgin of Tikhvin, displayed at the Tikhvin Assumption Monastery, 218 kilometers (135 miles) from St. Petersburg, Thursday, July 8, 2004. The icon, which according to tradition was painted by the Evangelist St. Luke, recently returned to Russia after decades in the United States. (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky)

Russian Orthodox faithful and priests greet the return of one of the most significant Russian Orthodox icons, the Virgin of Tikhvin, center,to its home at the Tikhvin Assumption Monastery, 218 kilometers (135 miles) from St. Petersburg, Thursday, July 8, 2004. The icon, which according to tradition was painted by the Evangelist St. Luke, recently returned to Russia after decades in the United States. (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky)

Russian Orthodox faithful follow priests carrying the icon of the Virgin Mary of Tikhvin, center, in downtown St.Petersburg, Sunday, July 4, 2004. The icon, which according to tradition was painted by the Evangelist St. Luke, recently returned to Russia after decades in the United States. (AP Photo/Dmitry Lovetsky)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #370 on: January 01, 2006, 06:27:54 PM »

Tens of thousands of Russian Orthodox faithful stream along the Kremlin's riverside walls in a procession honoring the icon of the Virgin Mary of Tikhvin, Moscow, Sunday, June 27, 2004 . The icon, which according to tradition was painted by the Evangelist St. Luke, recently returned to Russia after decades in the United States. (AP Photo/Ivan Sekretarev)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #371 on: January 01, 2006, 06:55:02 PM »

Worshippers of Saint Irene Chrysovalantou Greek Orthodox Cathedral in the Astoria section of Queens in New York parade the Weeping Icon of their church Sunday August 11, 1996, under the elevated tracks of the N train in Queens. The procession was part of the Divine Liturgy celebration where worshippers bowed down and passed under the Icon. The Icon is thought to have healing powers since it was believed to have shed a tear two days before the start of the Persian Gulf War. (AP Photo/Todd Plitt)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #372 on: January 05, 2006, 10:51:08 AM »

Moscow residents walk in a park enjoying the winter holiday despite temperatures dropping to -15 C (5 F) in Moscow, Thursday, Jan. 5, 2006. The New Year and Christmas holiday season lasts ten days, until Jan. 10, in Russia. (AP Photo/Mikhail Metzel)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #373 on: January 05, 2006, 10:54:16 AM »

The chapel alter of St. Sabbas, an Orthodox monastery in Harper Woods, Michigan United States, is shown Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2006, decorated for the traditional Russian Christmas held on January 7. (AP Photo/Free Press, Kathleen Galligan)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #374 on: January 05, 2006, 11:25:49 AM »

(Tarpon Springs 1/4/05)--5) Ecumenical Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox Church, Bartholomew, from Constantinople, is greeted by the faithful after his first ever service in St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Tarpon Springs, Fla., Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2006. The patriarch is in Tarpon Springs to preside over their 100th year celebration of Epiphany. (AP Photo/St. Petersburg Times Photo, Scott Keeler)
I, Claudius