Author Topic: Melusine  (Read 14662 times)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Melusine
« on: July 15, 2005, 10:45:52 PM »
I know this is only a legend, but I've read of it in several places and always wondered why it got started.

Supposedly, one of the ancestors of Henry II, one of the early counts of Anjou, went on a long journey, returning with a foreign, eastern-born wife named Melusine.  For some reason, she was tagged as being the daughter of Satan. She lived in matrimony with Henry's ancestor but refused to enter a church to take the sacraments.  She gave her husband two sons and two daughters and finally the husband was able to force her into church where she, upon hearing the sacraments, grabbed a child in each hand and flew off through the window, disappearing forever and leaving two children behind.

Thus the counts of Anjou were said to be descended from the devil himself!

I just wondered if anyone know where this started and is there an actual woman pegged as Melusine or did she just "exist" somewhere back in the early mists of time.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Finelly

Re: Melusine
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:34:39 PM »
I'll have to go back into the bios of Eleanor that I have.  It seems to me that one of the authors traced the legend back somewhat......I'll try to do it tomorrow, though I may be too absorbed in Harry Potter.....

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 11:48:56 PM »
Finelly, I know what you mean about Harry Potter, my 12-year-old son just left with his aunt to go wait in line....
--Cicero

Finelly

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 11:50:14 PM »
We have three copies reserved.  But if I go tonight, I will stay up all night, my schedule will get all messed up, and.......well......anyway, we're going tomorrow morning!

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 07:18:38 AM »
i knew the story, i didn't know her name was melusine though :)

what else have i heard? let's see... one of henry the 2nd's ancestors, called foulque the black, threw his own wife in the fire and forced his own son to beg for mercy (i don't know what for) on his knees wearing a saddle like a horse!!!  :o

richard the lion hearted once said that out of this family there could only come hatred and conflict because they all came from the devil and to the devil they'll go...

henry himself was described as a 'volcanic force'... he was one hell of a man, that's for sure :)

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline KentKim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 11:23:34 AM »
The Melusine

Among the most overtly Luciferian lore relating to the Grail bloodline is the strange saga of Melusine, a woman said to be half-human and half-serpent. Her father was reputedly Godfroi de Bouillon, former King of Jerusalem (or “Defender of the Holy Sepulcher”, as he preferred to be called), and prime mover behind the formation of both the Priory of Sion and the Knights Templar. It was due to de Bouillon - a descendant of Jesus Christ, King David, and the historical figure of Lohengrin - that the Templars adopted the Cross of Lorraine as their esoteric emblem. This symbol is known in Germany as the Cross of Lothringen, or Lohengrin (the origin of the name “Lorraine”), and was said to have been emblazoned upon Lohengrin’s shield. Godfroi was succeeded as King of Jerusalem by his brother Baldwin, who in turn was succeeded by Fulk the Black, a member of the prominent Angevin dynasty. It was Fulk who married Godfroi’s daughter, the mythical Melusine. As the story goes, upon her betrothal to Fulk, Melusine made a very unusual request. She agreed to marry him, but only upon this strange condition: that one night per week, on the Sabbath, she was to be allowed absolute solitude and privacy. On this night her husband was neither to speak to her, nor to enter her bedchambers. Fulk agreed to the bizarre codicil, and by all reports they shared a very happy union for the first several years.

In time, however, Fulk’s curiosity began to get the best of him. He wondered why his lovely bride required time apart from him, and what exactly she did on those nights. Unable to resist the temptation, Fulk burst into her bedroom one of these nights, only to be confronted by a terrifying visage. His wife had transformed herself into a figure that was half-serpent. The entirety of her lower extremities took on the appearance of a massive, bluish-white colored snake. Melusine was so horrified at being discovered that she keeled over dead. It was said that her ghost (in half-serpent form) haunted the site thereafter, and could be heard late at night, slithering about behind the locked door.

In a variation on this tale, Fulk was said instead to have peered through the keyhole of his wife’s chambers on one of her private nights. Inside he saw Melusine sitting in a bath, her body covered with scales from the waist down, her legs having turned into the tail of a fish. Deeply disturbed by what he had seen, Fulk was eventually compelled to question his wife. Upon learning that her trust had been violated, Melusine departed, never to be seen again.

As bizarre as such tales are, many European monarchs took great pride in citing Melusine in their family trees. In fact, according to Sabine Baring-Gould’s Myths of the Middle Ages, a number of royal families altered their genealogies in order to claim descent from the “illustrious” serpent lady. Her story became wildly popular in France, Germany and Spain, and for a time was seldom out of print.

In the early, happy days of Melusine’s marriage, she gave birth to a son, Geoffrey de Anjou. Geoffrey would eventually grow up to be the first Plantagenet King of England. Present at Geoffrey's birth was Bernard of Clairvaux, the famous Cistercian abbot, and yet another founding father of the Knights Templar. Upon first seeing the baby Geoffrey, Bernard made this strange pronouncement: “From the Devil he has come, and to the Devil he’ll return.” Though the Melusine saga may have been a beloved tale in parts of Europe, such was not the case everywhere. The tale seems to have been equally well-known in England, but not equally well-liked. In his book The Conquering Family, Thomas B. Costain writes:

“The counts of Anjou and their lovely but wicked wives gained such an unsavory reputation over the centuries that the people of England were appalled when they found that one of them (Geoffrey) was to become King of England.”

This notwithstanding, the House of Plantagenet provided England with some of its most noteworthy monarchs, many of whom admitted to having a soft spot in their hearts for their mythical matriarch, Melusine. Richard the Lionhearted even cited his purportedly Luciferian heritage as being the reason why his family “lacked the natural affections of mankind.”

The story of Melusine had such an impact on the French psyche that to this very day in some parts of France, “Melusines” (ginger cookies shaped like a woman with serpent’s tail) are sold on May Day. The fact that so many people have seemingly taken this unusual tale at face value seems rather unfathomable to the modern mind. Stranger still, why would a family putatively descended from Christ and King David so publicly include in their family tree the figure of a woman half-human and half-serpent?

It would appear that due to the highly improbable nature of this tale, it has been dismissed entirely by scholars and historians as pure folklore. Yet the members of this family (the Grail family) are no strangers to the adroit implementation of symbolism. Never has their use of symbolism been gratuitous. It is employed to reveal to the initiated precisely what it conceals from the uninitiated. And the imagery associated with Melusine is very specific in its connotations: it refers to the patriarch Adam’s first wife Lillith, who is depicted in cabalistic tradition as a naked human female with a serpent’s tail for her lower half. For us, this suggests that the Merovingians were consciously trying to keep alive an esoteric tradition - one which holds great secrets relating to the true nature of their sacred bloodline.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 11:50:53 AM »
Thanks, KentKim, that was the first such detailed account I've heard of the myth.
--Cicero

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 10:22:59 PM »
Kentkim,
Thank you. You tell the story well. Tell us more. I was fascinated with it all. Does any of it figure in to the Arthur lore?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 10:26:40 PM »
Here is a drawing I found. I hope you can see it. I've been having trouble with that.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 07:10:32 AM »
an interesting story but i really have to point out that geoffrey was never king of england. he was husband of maud, who was in title queen of england but who never actually ruled, just spent her time fighting with her cousin, stephen of blois, who had taken control over the kingdom.

their son, henry, ruled as henry 2nd.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »
Finelly, I know what you mean about Harry Potter, my 12-year-old son just left with his aunt to go wait in line....

lol. he'll have to do that all over again this July  ;)

Offline veu-1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 04:31:28 PM »
Melusine was partially based on Queen Eleanor of Aquitaine!

dolgoruky18

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 04:22:19 PM »
Elizabeth of Vendome, wife of Fulke count of Anjou, was burned at the stake as a witch in (I think) AD 1000. Perhaps this was the origin of the Melusine legend ?

Source: Georges Dubuy (sic ?) : "The Knight, The Priest and The Lady"

Offline veu-1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 02:50:39 AM »
Very interesting!

Have you a pic of Elizabeth of Vendome?

Do you know her life?

I read only this about Elizabeth:

Fulk III's first wife was his cousin Elizabeth of Vendome: apparently she took a lover, and when Fulk found out he burnt her at the
stake in her wedding dress (999).

I read also this about Melusine:

These stories are all distortions of a strange (in this case a non-White non-European non-Christian, or at least recently and not thoroughly converted) lady marrying an Emperor or a King. She was Morphia (d. 1127), wife of Baldwin,Emperor of Jerusalem (d. 1131) and daughter of Gabriel, lord of Melitene and Edessa. Over the years the "Melitene" slid into "Melusine", whichaccounts for the name in the stories. Melitene is now called "Malatya",and it's in northeastern Turkey. That sounds interesting, because Baldwin's daughter and only heir was called Millicent, or as it sometimes spelt Melisend. Shemarried Fulk V of Anjou (d.1143) who became the 3rd king of Jerusalem.
That seems just as likely a foundation for the legend of Melusine.

For other french author Melusine is partially based on Eleanor of Aquitaine and partially on Sybille of Jerusalem.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:17:16 AM by veu-1 »

Offline veu-1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 03:33:31 AM »
I read also this:

En 1214, Geoffroy de Lusignan rendit hommage à l’abbaye de Nouaiflé. n avait épousé avant 1200 (probablement vers 1185) Eustache CHASOT, dame de Vouvent de Mentent, fille de Thibault II et de Margue. rite Louet (Gén. Chahut). Ce serait elle qui aurait été la fée Melusine du roman de Jean d’Arras et aurait eu 9 enfant, qui toue auraient affligés d’uns marque monstrueuse en raison leur étrange origine.