The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 28, 2014, 07:13:01 PM
462602 Posts in 8998 Topics by 14528 Members
Latest Member: CalvinKl
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Tudors (Moderators: Kimberly, Prince_Lieven, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Anne Boleyn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Anne Boleyn  (Read 163319 times)
Reply #30
« on: July 18, 2005, 09:10:52 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

i think she grew used to the idea and started to like it. but i don't think she set out to be a queen from the start

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #31
« on: July 18, 2005, 01:59:24 PM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Ask about my upcoming book on Grand Duchess Olga Posts: 7400

View Profile WWW

Thanks for the pictures of Hever Castle, Helen!  Is the furniture from the 1500s, or is it later or just re-created? Smiley  I'm curious as to what things would have looked like in Anne's time.

Lanie, it's a little bit of both. There are some restored pieces from the 16th century, most notably Henry VIII's bed. Others are from different time periods, the legacy of various owners of the castle throughout the centuries. In the early 20th century the castle was owned by the Astors, who put in the gardens. Currently it is owned by John Guthrie.

Here is the Hever Castle website:

www.hevercastle.co.uk

Reply #32
« on: July 18, 2005, 02:03:56 PM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Do we really think that Anne had no aspirations to be queen?  That she was trapped into marrying Henry?

IMO, she didn't want to marry Henry in the beginning because she wanted to marry Percy. When she saw that this was impossible, and Henry continued to pursue her, she probably started to warm up to the idea. I am sure that the thought of getting back at those she perceived as her enemies (like Wolsey) didn't hurt... Maybe she started to feel her own power and wanted more. Power can do strange things to people.

But no, she wasn't trapped into marrying Henry. By the time they married, I think that she wanted it as much as Henry, if not more! She was also already pregnant with Elizabeth by the time they married  Wink.

Reply #33
« on: July 19, 2005, 06:23:07 AM »
Martyn Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Martyn's Chips Posts: 7022

View Profile

Thanks for that Helen - that seems like a very logical explanation.  I was going to add that I am sure that Anne enjoyed the power that came with being queen, plus the opportunity to settle some old scores.

How I envy you the visit to Hever.  I have always thought it such a romantic place, from the images that I have seen.  Your photos suggest a place of great charm; in some respects a typical English country establishment that has evolved over the centuries, retaining a little of each century in its style.  Very lovely.

'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV
Reply #34
« on: July 19, 2005, 07:06:43 AM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

How I envy you the visit to Hever.  I have always thought it such a romantic place, from the images that I have seen.  Your photos suggest a place of great charm; in some respects a typical English country establishment that has evolved over the centuries, retaining a little of each century in its style.  Very lovely.

Yes, it was a great place to visit, the gardens are beautiful too, although not part of the 16th centrury backdrop. Martyn, you can probably go down there for a weekend one of these days. I think you live up north whereas Kent is south, but it's not too far if you stay over a night or two. There is nifty little inn near the castle, called - what else - "Henry VIII Inn"  Smiley. Hever is a quaint little town, pretty small it seems. We took the train, and had to walk along a country road for about 1.5 miles from the train station to the castle as there was no public transportation. There were no signs for the castle until later on, so for a while we weren't even sure if we were going the right way! Luckily, we were. But it was nice to walk it because you really got to see the town that way. I would imagine it doesn't look all that different than it did 500 years ago when the Boleyns lived there: houses with thatched rooves, fields and lots of sheep. I bet the road we took was the same road (more or less) that Henry VIII used when he went there! You also get to go inside the chapel where the Boleyns went, still pretty much intact.

I'll see if I can post some of my pictures of the town later...

Reply #35
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:46:32 AM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Some more pictures of Hever, the castle and the gardens...

King Henry VIII Inn:

Entrance to Hever Church:

Thomas Bullen's tomb:

Another view of the castle:

View from the castle window:

The Hever Gardens:

Tudor chess set:

The lake:

Reply #36
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:54:04 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

was their name actually bullen?  Huh

ilya

Reply #37
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:55:32 AM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

was their name actually bullen?  Huh

Yes.

Reply #38
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:57:46 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

so where does boleyn come from?

ilya

Reply #39
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:00:21 AM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

so where does boleyn come from?

It came about later, maybe to make it sound more French, less "merchant" (?). I think that in the 16th century the spelling of words and names was flexible.

Reply #40
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:03:03 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

bullen doesn't sound very noble Grin

ilya

Reply #41
« on: July 20, 2005, 10:44:51 AM »
TampaBay Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job. Posts: 4223

View Profile

Hi there,I have always pondered wether Anne was RH  negative so that after the birth of a first healthy child she became "sensitised" and her blood cells "attacked" every foetus she carried from then on. So she never really stood a chance. Of course,these days RH negative mums get an injection of Anti- D after the birth  of each child thus preventing the problem. ( well thats my two penny worth anyway)

This has been studied by many historical pathologists, written up and published in several medical/ pharmaceutical journals. I myself have read several of these journal articles.

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TampaBay » Logged

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.
Reply #42
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:34:40 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Loyaulte me lie Posts: 3117

View Profile

I dont think the Bullens were particularly noble to begin with were they?I think one of Anne's forebears was a Mayor of London. They "frenchified" the name to make it sound "up market"

Member of the Richard III Society
Reply #43
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:37:31 AM »
Helen_Azar Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I dont think the Bullens were particularly noble to begin with were they?I think one of Anne's forebears was a Mayor of London. They "frenchified" the name to make it sound "up market"

On her father's side, Anne descended from a family of merchants. On her mother's side she descended from the Howards.

Reply #44
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:37:59 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Loyaulte me lie Posts: 3117

View Profile

This has been studied by many historical pathologists, written up and published in several medical/ pharmaceutical journals. I myself have read several of these journal articles.

TampaBayWow,thats very interesting.I only wondered because I come across a lot of RH neg. mums at work and it is no problem thanks to anti-D.Would love to read some of those articles. Would a google search do it ( i am a bit of a computer Luddite)

Embarrassed Embarrassed

Member of the Richard III Society
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: