Author Topic: Anne Boleyn  (Read 272529 times)

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #210 on: August 20, 2008, 09:38:13 PM »
I' ve got to Admit since watching Season 1 of The Tudors im crushing on Natalie Dormer do you think hers is an accurate protrail?

Apparently She had "great charm of manner" and sex appeal. Her greatest Asset might have been her black eyes although the French fashions she wore and perhaps even a slight  French Accent would certainly have helped. 

And strangely at her death She refused to wear a blind. The best She would do is close them but as she kept opening them the Executioner could not stand the look in her eyes and had a plan. He had someone appear to walk very heavily on the opposite side and he took off his shoes and approached silently enabling him to strike the fatal blow.

http://books.google.com/books?id=B-AsAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA342&dq=anne+boleyn%27s+eyes&ei=CNasSIuzHojcygSs9e3-Bg#PPA342,M1

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 09:52:13 PM by Mari »

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »
I finally saw "The Other Boleyn Girl" in which Anne is portrayed as a real scheming bitch along with her family.

I checked back the last few pages and saw nothing about the movie and this version of Ann as an evil woman. Any comments anybody?

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2008, 05:56:31 AM »
Some months ago I began the book and I couldn't stand it. Gregory uses too much gossip and to few history books, to put it midly.

Some weeks ago I saw the film. It gave me the same impression that the book caused me. Also it all looked so unreal, so out of context so, in a few words, so false that I can only say "if it could have been worse, I don't dare to imagine how". Catherine Scott Thomas, as it is usual, was superb, the only thing about the film I can cheer about.

Offline boleynfan

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »
I thought Natalie Portman was ok as Anne, too pretty for the part, but she was better than I expected.  Eric Bana was disappointing, but the role wasn't written very well.

I was most offended that they showed her trying to actually seduce her brother.  Aside from the "ick" factor, it is widely held that this never happened. Just another falsehood that I'll have to debunk over and over thanks to Ms. Gregory.

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2008, 05:46:23 AM »
I agree. The so-called "seduction" scene is pitiful, to be polite. It's, in short, a quite irregular film, with some good moments, but, all in all, not quite remarkable.

Oh, by the way, I must confess that I'm awfully happy. Why? Because, after barely two weeks waiting, I finally got my copy of Mr. Ives' The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn. Just to good to be true to me, so I cannot skip looking at the book to be sure I'm not dreaming. Silly, but true.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2008, 01:28:03 AM »
After you read it maybe you could share one description of Anne Boleyn. I have read She was witty but I would like to find an example of it! :)

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2008, 04:11:41 AM »
After you read it maybe you could share one description of Anne Boleyn. I have read She was witty but I would like to find an example of it! :)

I'll do it, I promise. I'm just in the beginning of the 2nd Chapter, which deals about her European education. The style of Mr Ives is simply outstanding.

Offline libgirl2

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2008, 06:13:56 AM »
I agree. The so-called "seduction" scene is pitiful, to be polite. It's, in short, a quite irregular film, with some good moments, but, all in all, not quite remarkable.

Oh, by the way, I must confess that I'm awfully happy. Why? Because, after barely two weeks waiting, I finally got my copy of Mr. Ives' The Life and Death of Anne Boleyn. Just to good to be true to me, so I cannot skip looking at the book to be sure I'm not dreaming. Silly, but true.

I could not bear to read the book or see the film.

I have Mr. Ives book on my to read list.

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 27, 2008, 03:06:20 AM »
Well, I'm back. I've finished Mrs Ives' book and I agree. It's excellent. I must say that my impressions and ideas about Anne Boleyn have changed as I've discovered a very different person -more active, more "alive", so to speak- that I thought she was. If before reading the book I was fascinated by Anne, now it's a bigger affaire, so to speak.

However, as all the good things, this reading has its bad side, of course. Even if the book more than 450 pages long -if you include footnotes-, to me it's a bit "short". Ok, it's a joke. I'll ahve to reread it again, because I stil lwant more. Now the real negative point. It's neither Mr Ives' fault nor the book, let's make it clear. After reading how the coup against Anne was prepared, staged and carried out, I cannot avoid feeling a great distaste for Henry VIII -he wasn't my favourite English king before, but now even Shakespeare's murderous Richard III seems to be a kinder fellow than Henry- nor a deep disliking of Cromwell. Ok, Anne wasn't a saint herself, but the whole affair of the funeral and getting rid of those who were on Henry/Cromwell way, well, it's sickening.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 28, 2008, 02:54:25 AM »
Was Anne witty as described in other documents?

Offline Kurt Steiner

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 28, 2008, 07:01:30 AM »
As I understood, Anne was more than witty. She was clever, intelligent, with a good measure of cold calculation, which doesn't mean she never made a mistake, of course.. However, even if this sounds a bit contradictory, her passion was what doomed her, as it has been stated before.

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2008, 09:42:51 PM »
I finally saw "The Other Boleyn Girl" in which Anne is portrayed as a real scheming bitch along with her family.

I checked back the last few pages and saw nothing about the movie and this version of Anne as an evil woman. Any comments anybody?

Natalie Portman was quite good as Anne IMO. Scarlett Johansson was fantastic as Mary.
And I don't think Anne was much of a bitch in the movie... I actually sympathized with her. But I think the problem was Mary's: she was too innocent. And Anne's "bitchiness" was sometimes directed towards her 100% innocent sister (which in my opinion was inaccurate)...

Offline Royal Bulgaria

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 17, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
Well i mostly like Anne Boleyn in the SHOWTIME production "The Tudors" and how Helena Bonham Carter portrayed her in "Henry VIII"  And Anne Boleyn as historical figure i must say that she was pretty smart and beautiful ofcourse.... she knew very well what is doing when she got marry to Henry.... about the troubles and about her duty to give a heir.... She couldn't give him and she suffered inside her.... I don't think it was fair to cut her head....
Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.

Offline tom_romanov

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2008, 03:10:49 PM »
i've read that Anne had an eating disorder ( Bulima i think) is this true?

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
Thats a new one on me where did you hear that?
Member of the Richard III Society