Author Topic: Owen Tudor  (Read 10787 times)

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
Owen Tudor
« on: July 17, 2005, 12:44:46 PM »
I thought Owen worthy of discussion, since he is credited with founding the Tudor dynasty. Owen was from a Welsh family and served as a squire in the court of Henry V. After Henry's death, Owen married his widow, Catherine of Valois. Together they had five children, which began the Tudor Dynasty.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Owen Tudor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »
Very little known about him, I thought. Executed, wasn't he? Around the same time as Richard Woodville?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »
He was beheaded by the Yorks after their victory at Mortimer's Cross.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »
Mortimer's Cross . . . wasn't that 1461?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 04:20:13 PM »
He was taken prisoner at the Battle of Mortimer's Cross (February 1461) and, by the order of young Edward IV, he was beheaded in the market-place at Hereford. His head was put on the market cross where a woman, whom a contemporary calls mad, had his hair combed and face washed, and set round many lighted candles. His body was buried in a chapel of the Church of the Grey Friars at Hereford.
Source: Dictionary of National Biography

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 04:45:09 PM »
There is a really well researched (fiction) book aout this by, I think, Rosemary Hawley Jarman. Unfortunately, my copy fell in the bath when i was reading it and it got totally wrecked. Cannot remember what it was called but her depiction of Katherine's mad father was excellent. The poor man thought he was made of glass.Anyone help me out here,i really want to read it again.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2005, 05:04:47 PM »
There is a really well researched (fiction) book aout this by, I think, Rosemary Hawley Jarman. Unfortunately, my copy fell in the bath when i was reading it and it got totally wrecked. Cannot remember what it was called but her depiction of Katherine's mad father was excellent. The poor man thought he was made of glass.Anyone help me out here,i really want to read it again.

'Crown In Candlelight'. :) I just requested it from the library myself.

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2005, 05:07:34 PM »
Yeah great, try We Speak No Treason too  ;)Whoops .....book thread
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 06:40:46 PM »
Just wondering if anyone else has noted the similarities in the lives of Owen Tudor and Richard Woodville?

**both born non-royal, of the same era

**both married far above themselves

**their wives were both foreign princesses who were widows of royals

**their children married back into royalty (Edmund Tudor m. Margaret Beaufort and Elizabeth Woodville m. Edward IV)

**both managed to live long lives for the time, but were executed in the end

**Owen's son Jasper married Richard's daughter Catherine

Their irregular marriages actually changed the course of history.

I wonder if they knew each other?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Prince_Christopher »
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 07:32:07 PM »
I don't know a lot about Richard Woodville, care to share some information? Wasn't there more than one???? (Did he have a son by the same name?)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 07:42:18 PM »
He did indeed. In fact, he had loads of children (off the top of my head I'd say about 15), most of whom survived infancy. Elizabeth was the eldest, Martha the youngest I think.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 07:56:51 PM »
Richard Woodville's father was a chamberlain or something like that in the household of the Duke and Duchess of Bedford.  When the the duke died, Richard married his widow, who was Princess Jaquetta of Luxemberg. They had 16 children. They were considered the most attractive couple of their time.

Woodville was a Lancastrian at first but switched to the York side. His son-in-law, Edward IV, made him Earl Rivers. He was executed by the Lancastrians after the Battle of Edgecote More.

He did have a son named Richard, but I believe he was succeeded in the earldom by his son Anthony Woodville.

They were a very ambitious family.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2005, 08:07:44 PM »
Thank you Prince_Christopher,

It is coming back to me now...I have a few cobwebs in the old noggin. Was it Henry VI that made the first Richard a Baron of Rivers?
Why did he switch to the York side during the War of the Roses??? Ambition?

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2005, 08:25:14 PM »
Thank you Prince_Christopher,

It is coming back to me now...I have a few cobwebs in the old noggin. Was it Henry VI that made the first Richard a Baron of Rivers?
Why did he switch to the York side during the War of the Roses??? Ambition?

Simply, Elizabeth Woodville married Edward IV. That's why the Woodville family switched allegiances. Elizabeth had two sons, Richard and Thomas Grey, by her first husband, a man who died fighting for Lancaster. Interesting, no?

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2005, 08:28:44 PM »
Woodville was a Lancastrian at first but switched to the York side. His son-in-law, Edward IV, made him Earl Rivers. He was executed by the Lancastrians after the Battle of Edgecote More.

What Wikipedia didn't tell you is that George of Clarence and particularly the Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker, made that decision. Richard Woodville was executed along with his son, John, for which Elizabeth NEVER forgave Warwick or really any of the Nevilles.

Regards,
Arianwen