Author Topic: Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovitch, his family and descendants  (Read 71137 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovitch, his family and descendants
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2006, 12:59:02 AM »
While the legend of Nadezhda's adoption is very charming (though reminiscent of dozens similar throughout time), how did the baby REALLY come to live with Stieglitz?   No doubt, he was a trusted financial associate of the Tsars, but was he also a special friend of Mikhail's and thus also to be trusted in this matter, or a relative of the mother's?  

Who WAS the girl's mother, and is it known whether she consented to this, and/or her attitude towards losing her child this way, or did she just die in childbirth, thus her feelings were moot?

I'm assuming the whole "baby found in basket" scene, if it actually happened, was pre-arranged.  It seems the people around would have been rather jaded even by then to accept such a staged discovery.  Yet in the end, the child Nadezhda won the jackpot.  Good for her!

The girl's mother was unkhown. And that Mikhail was a father of Nadejda looked like more a family legend  than truth.

Offline joye

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2006, 07:01:40 PM »
I agree, there is not a lot of information on GD Katarina Mikhailovna 1827 1894. I have done a personal project on the Grand Duchesses,  and found a photo of her and her spouse. She died age 66, and is buried  in the Peter and Paul Cathedral St Petersburg,  grave no. 44  reference  http://www.royaltyguide.nl/families/romanov/romanov3.htm
Signed   HRH
YaBB 1G-SP1!

Offline Nadya_Arapov

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2008, 09:20:47 AM »
I haven't been able to visit the board often over the last two or three years, unfortunately, until now, and wasn't aware of that. Since I saw mulitiple posts referring to them I assumed it was acceptable to post information about them in this thread.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2008, 03:49:28 PM »
I know that Alexander II ws killed after a visit to his first cousin Ekaterina Michailovna...but what to know about the relations between the dauhgters of Emperor Nikolai I Olga,Maria and Alexandra with their cousins Maria,Elizabeth and Ekaterina...were they close or or maybe not so close etc.Reasons?Anyone?

Offline gem_10

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2008, 08:47:19 PM »
Yeah I also want to know that..  :)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2009, 03:27:53 PM »

Actually the cousins were not very close esp. in the case with Maria and Elizaveta who died young and had been very often absent from Russia travelling with their mother or courtiers for cure in the Europe. If speaking about GDss Ekaterina M. then she was highly respected by Alexander II and his family though they considered Ekaterina (Aunt Cathy) quite dull but anyway a pleasant woman.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:05:33 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:21 PM »
I also noticed now this thread and thought:"Hmmm,intersting thread..." and then realized I started it ;-)

Anyway,I wanted to know this because they were first cousins but never read anything in particular about their relations except the fact that the Emperor was visiting his first cousin before the murder...

Also,their relations were interesting to me because their mother Elena Pavlovna was at that considered "Grand lady" of St.Peterburg,something like Michen was in her time and we know what kind of relations did she have with other cousins..that's why it was interesting for me and wanted to know more...

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 12:46:28 AM »
For all that I knew from the books on the Romanovs Emperor Nicholas I was very tender with his nieces, daughters of GD Mikhail, and respected Mikhail's educated and sophisticated wife GDss Elena Pavlovna. Emperor Alexander II and his brother GD Konstantin were also  of a high opinion on Elena Pavlovna and liked to be in her society, after all they shared liberal ideas.

GDss Ekaterina M. was not like her mother, of course most of the life she was living in the mother's shadow though she had been well-educated and nice person. But she had not the personality of her mother and was really talented only in music. After Elena Pavlovna's death Ekaterina tried to continue the tradition of the mother's sophisticated "fetes"  in her salon in the Mikhailovskiy Palace but certainly without that success of Elena in the 1840-1850s. Alexander II liked his cousin and respected her, her family was in his private family circle, Ekaterina's name usually can be found in the Romanovs diaries when they told about family meetings and court officials.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »
So,it seems it was an other way around in case of Elena Pavlovna,I mean the opposite situation to the relations between Michen and other cousins...

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2009, 06:39:12 AM »
Maria Feodorovna was also very fond of GDss Ekaterina and her family, and they are often mentioned in letters. Ekaterina's husband was also a cousin of Queen Louise, MF's mother.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2009, 07:51:45 AM »
That's good to know...Georg's mother was sister to Maria Feodorovna's grandfather...but they all had so many cousins...I wonder did they all knew each other...?For example Imperial family and Barons von Blixen-Finecke who were their relatives?

alixaannencova

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »
Silly question perhaps but I was under the impression that the children of Frederick HC and Caroline Polyxene, including the father of Queen Louise of Denmark and the mothers of Augusta Mecklenburg Strelitz and Mary Adelaide Teck and of Ekaterina M's husband George Mecklenburg started the tradition of mass reunions at Rumpenheim. Does anyone know whether George M and Ekaterina M made annual visits to Rumpenheim?

I have always been fascinated by Ekaterina M and I was rather disappointed to note that her old thread was lost ages ago and no new one has been started. I would love to know more about her and her husband and their dealings with the rest of the IF. I often forget just how interestingly connected George M-S was! What with an aunt married to George III's youngest surviving son, and such a huge amount of interesting and diverse cousins on the Hesse Cassel side through his mother!

Also, I was wondering if Ekaterina M was in receipt of an annuity of 50,000 rubles. On the Romanov fortunes and annuities thread it says that daughters of Emperors received that sum but it does not clarify whether male line grand daughters, as Grand Duchesses also received a similar annuity from reigning Emperors. Furthermore I assume Ekaterina M as the only surviving child of Michael P and Elena P inherited their entire fortunes which would have presumably made her own of the wealthiest members of the IF, if her parents didn't dissipate their fortunes that is!!! I know that Mecklenburg Streliz family was well known for its vast family fortunes too, but wonder if George M ever got more than a simple 'settlement' at the time of his marriage to Ekaterina M. 

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 01:25:51 PM by alixaannencova »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »
Very interesting point alixaannencova...it would be good to know more about such things!

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2009, 03:45:33 AM »
Silly question perhaps but I was under the impression that the children of Frederick HC and Caroline Polyxene, including the father of Queen Louise of Denmark and the mothers of Augusta Mecklenburg Strelitz and Mary Adelaide Teck and of Ekaterina M's husband George Mecklenburg started the tradition of mass reunions at Rumpenheim. Does anyone know whether George M and Ekaterina M made annual visits to Rumpenheim?

GDss Ekaterina M. really visited Rumpenheim as often as he could. Empress MF mentions the GDss in her letters to Alexander III when travelling abroad to the Hesse-Kassel relatives.

Yes, the old thread on EM is indeed lost with all the info, though there is a thread on the Carlows, her descendants where some info can be found.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2009, 12:05:05 PM »

GDss Ekaterina M. really visited Rumpenheim as often as he could. Empress MF mentions the GDss in her letters to Alexander III when travelling abroad to the Hesse-Kassel relatives.

Yes, the old thread on EM is indeed lost with all the info, though there is a thread on the Carlows, her descendants where some info can be found.

The old thread was merged with The Mikhailovichi thread around the time of the upgrade. All the info is still there.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/