The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 21, 2014, 05:06:22 AM
462913 Posts in 9007 Topics by 14527 Members
Latest Member: Scamall
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Their World and Culture (Moderators: Martyn, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Romanovs at Play--Entertainments and Hobbies
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Romanovs at Play--Entertainments and Hobbies  (Read 37198 times)
Reply #150
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz
May I interest you in a grain of salt? Posts: 6444

View Profile WWW

Tatiana has a folding model here:

Not sure if the officer is holding a camera or some other type of box apparatus -- it seems rather large:

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King
Reply #151
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »
sgc Offline
"Everyone can master a grief but he that has it." Posts: 96

View Profile

Great pics! A few (like Alix in the nursing uniform holding her camera) I've never seen before. Have the photo somewhere on my PC that was taken of AF lining up everyone sitting on a stairwell on the deck of the Standart in order to take her snapshot.
Reply #152
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:22:33 AM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Great pics! A few (like Alix in the nursing uniform holding her camera) I've never seen before. Have the photo somewhere on my PC that was taken of AF lining up everyone sitting on a stairwell on the deck of the Standart in order to take her snapshot.

I think I have the same one as well. Unfortunately, the photo is taken from behind the empress and her camera isn't visible at all.

"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King
Reply #153
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
nena Online
Velikye Knyaz
But every spring smells like you. Posts: 2833

View Profile

If I may add, I noticed most often taken pic. of IF with camera is - Tatiana Nicholaievna. I wonder why?

Also, I've seen some pic. of Tsarevich holding camera-I believe it was taken in 1906, at Alexander Park.

(Thanks to Emily!)
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥
Reply #154
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:26:47 PM »
sgc Offline

View Profile

If I may add, I noticed most often taken pic. of IF with camera is - Tatiana Nicholaievna. I wonder why?

Also, I've seen some pic. of Tsarevich holding camera-I believe it was taken in 1906, at Alexander Park.

I've found it seems to be Anastasia who is the one to incessantly have a camera in her mischievous hands. Smiley
Reply #155
« on: August 04, 2008, 04:40:39 PM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

While I have a hunch that it was in fact Maria Nikolaevna who took the most snapshots, though she was rarely photographed with her camera in hand. She is by far the least photographed of her sisters, and I've noticed that published photos are often credited to her personal albums.

For example: Maria is the only GD who doesn't appear at all in the short series of photographs taken when OTMA played with peasant children in Mogilev. Doesn't it seem odd that the girl who so loved children was not captured on film with her sister on this rare occasion when they were allowed to mix with common people?

Also, look at the photos of the family in captivity. Again, Maria is the least photographed GD, and I believe it's because she was the one taking the pictures.

Reply #156
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:00:52 PM »
sgc Offline

View Profile

Also, look at the photos of the family in captivity. Again, Maria is the least photographed GD, and I believe it's because she was the one taking the pictures.

You bring up some interesting points and certainly they are quite plausible. Let me throw in another idea, and pure speculation on my part: Maria could be the one who took the most photos because she herself might very well have wished to be the least photographed.

I gravitate to Maria as my personal favorite of the OTMA quartet due to the fact she just appears at times in many of these surviving photos of the IF to be so lost in the shuffle. In other words, she simply didn't seem to possess the self-confidence the others possessed and (to me at least...) it shows occasionally on film. Perhaps the letter this lovely girl sent to Alix asking if she was really loved by her parents is a perfect example of what I'm trying to convey.
Reply #157
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:19:46 PM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I think that's a reasonable argument, but I hope you won't mind if I steer us back to topic. 

I've found what looks like a much more extensive list of the Kodak products that were in production during NII's reign than is given on The Brownie Camera site:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/aa13/aa13.shtml

Reply #158
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:33:59 AM »
nena Online
Velikye Knyaz
But every spring smells like you. Posts: 2833

View Profile

Yes, Maria was least photographed(I noticed it) , but she toke many pic. at Tsarskoe Selo, in 1917.

All pics. from their captivity at Home came from her personal albums...But I didn't see Tatiana in these series with children at Mogilev, only OMA.  Wink

(Thanks to Emily!)
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥
Reply #159
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:50:17 AM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

But I didn't see Tatiana in these series with children at Mogilev, only OMA.  Wink

Olga, Tatiana, Anastasia:

Reply #160
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »
halen Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Saint Sarushka...-)

, I don't know if you had time to research Nicholas and Alexandra: The Last Imperial Family of Tsarist Russia, so I thought I would post this little blurb from the chapter, Photographs in the State Archives of the Russian Federation of the Last Tsar and his Family.

Pg. 236.

"The identity of the manufacturer of the Imperial Family's first camera is not known, but is it probable that it was Kodak. Proof that the imperial family used the camera is found in Tsarevich Alexei's personal effects: negatives of amateur photographs have survived for the period 1911-1912, preserved in Kodak packets. ...Thanks to the investigation carried out between 1918 and 1919 by N.A. Sokolov into the assassination of he imperial family there is documentary evidence to show that in the final years the Romanovs used a US made camera"

I'll keep reading to see if there is anymore information on what camera they used...

Louise

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
Reply #161
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

*snork*

Yep, I had a look last night as well, but decided to knock off at quarter to 2 in the morning. Owing to the time, I didn't retain much of what I read, so I'd love it if you'd post any relevant info you've come across.

Blessings be upon you, my child. ; )

Reply #162
« on: August 05, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »
halen Offline
Boyar

View Profile

*Snork* back to you. I thought my brother and I were the only people to snork each other...

I came across a couple of paragraphs I thought would be inspiring, as well as to remember why we are here...from Nicholas and Alexandra: The Last Imperial Family of Tsarist Russia[/i.

It is a collection that lets us study the "original" in all his guises: emperor, husband and father. Everyone who looks at these photographs will see the last tsar of Russia in their own way.  One feeling, however, unites us: These photographs attract us because in them we see a human life. And regardless of the time and tragedy that separates us from that life, we can comprehend it and identify with it.

The personal photographs, diaries and letters of the emperor complement one another, and enable us not merely to reconstruct and understand events more clearly, but to identify the entourage of Nicholas and his family, to see their characters, moods and attachments.

Louise, the blessed

There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?

When he shall die
Take him and cut him out into stars
And he shall make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
Reply #163
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:11:21 PM »
pastpalacelife Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Hope its no too off subject, but I haven't understood how all these pictures came into anyone's possession.  Did Anna sell hers or was it confiscated, and how did the IF get the photo's developed while in captivity. I hope there isn't a big thread on this subject that I've missed, if so, I apologize.
Reply #164
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:32:46 AM »
Sarushka Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Here's a thread that will answer part of your question:

Film developed while under captivity

The family's photo albums were certainly confiscated after their death and sent to Moscow to be archived. This article will tell you how Vyrubova's albums ended up at Yale Unversity:

Golden Hours of the Romanovs

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: