The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 23, 2014, 01:07:52 PM
460769 Posts in 8928 Topics by 14536 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Their World and Culture (Moderators: Martyn, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Crowns and Tiaras of Russia and Europe
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Crowns and Tiaras of Russia and Europe  (Read 36548 times)
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:07:24 AM »
James_Davidov Offline
Boyar

View Profile WWW

I was unsure where to place this, as it’s a very broad question, but here goes… Do any photos exist of Nicholas II wearing his crown?  Naturally I’v seen the distant photo of him underneath the ceremonial canopy, and understand the issue of photographs being taken during orthodox ceremonies, but I thought, Nicholas, who so often utilized photography as a P.R tool during his reign, would have had a portrait with him wearing the crown, whether it be a photo or a painting...  

Secondly (this was a part I was unsure of where to post as it’s pretty broad) but I’m really interested in the “crowns” of the different monarchy’s .  I was wondering if someone could post images of Europe’s different royal crowns.  The English, Austrian, Russian and Danish crowns are quiet easy to find, but I’m constantly trying to find quality pictures of the different crowns of Italy, Germany Belgium, Greece, the Scandinavian kingdoms, etc etc etc.  

If anyone has any images of the crowns (especially on the heads of their monarchs) I’d love to see them!

James.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:48:14 PM by Alixz » Logged

You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary
Reply #1
« on: March 23, 2005, 01:52:57 AM »
londo954 Offline
Graf
Live Long and Prosper Posts: 347

View Profile

There is a photo I have seen of Nicky and Alex on their coronation. Nicky is seated on the throne of Alexis with Alexandra next to him and they are wearing the traditional crowns
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:50:32 PM by Alixz » Logged
Reply #2
« on: March 23, 2005, 02:43:06 AM »
Mia Offline
Boyar
'Princess of Genovia' Posts: 100

View Profile

Well, I don't know either where to put this topic...

Anyway, about crowns. I think that most of the Scandinavian monarchies today are just displaying their crowns and other regalia in museums. Many of the Danish and Swedish crowns are very old, some even dating from the 16th and 17th C, and therefore technically very interesting.

DENMARK

The Danish crown regalia are on display in Rosenborg castle. There is just one picture of a crown (Christian V's) on the following site.

Christian V's crown was worn by kings from Chr 5 to Chr 8. It was made by Paul Kurtz in Copenhagen 1670-1671. The crown weighs 2080 g, and is of gold and enamel and table cut diamonds, 2 garnets and 2 sapphires.

http://www.kongehuset.dk/gallery.php?dogtag=k_dk_samlinger_rosen_fo&id=18

This site is in Danish, I'm afraid, but it shows also other Danish crowns and shows in pictures how the crown as a symbol is worn in Denmark.

http://www.gladsaxegymnasium.dk/2/meyer/kronebog2.htm

SWEDEN

Oscar II is the last Swedish king who had the crowning ceremony in 1873 and was crowned as the king of Sweden and Norway.

Oscar II. Painted by Oscar Björck.

There is also a picture of crown prince Gustaf of Sweden, later King Gustaf V, wearing the crown of the CP (oops, apparently it is called The Crown of the Heir Apparent). I remember reading that he wore the regalia very reluctantly...and he refused to be crowned when succeeding his pompous father Oscar II.

I'm sure somebody will find that picture in their archives and post it on this board.

You've probably found this site by yourself already. It tells something of the crown regalia:
http://www.royalcourt.se/monarkinisverige/kungligasymboler/arvfurstekrona.4.53abbbfd7ffdfa677fff888.html

Errors, like straw, upon the surface flow,
He who would search for pearls,
must dive below.
John Dryden
Reply #3
« on: March 23, 2005, 03:21:10 AM »
Mia Offline
Boyar
'Princess of Genovia' Posts: 100

View Profile

And the crown of the king who never ruled... a bit of a curiosity.

The original Royal crown of Finland

In October 1918 the convoked and bit confused Finnish parliament surprisingly decided to proclaim the Prince of Hessen, Friedrich Karl from Germany to King of Finland.

Right after that many Finnish artists began to design all kind of clothes, furniture, precious articles, decorative royal items, paintings and a crown for the newly proclaimed King of Finland.

But as we know, Germany was defeated in the WW and Friedrich Karl abdicated.

Goldsmith Teuvo Ypyä from Kemi found Eric Ehrström's original plans and drawings of the Royal crown of Finland in the 1980s, after a long time of searching. He got so interested about the crown that he made it. The crown weighs 2 kg and is made of vermeil (gilded silver). There are also four large mabe pearls and 4 serpentine beads.

On the bandeau part of the crown are the enamelled coat of arms of Finnish provinces and on the top of the blue-white orb is the lion from the coat of arms of Finland which symbolizes the power of the government. This makes the crown different from the usual cross symbols on crowns.

http://www.kemi.fi/jalokivigalleria/index.html

Errors, like straw, upon the surface flow,
He who would search for pearls,
must dive below.
John Dryden
Reply #4
« on: March 24, 2005, 02:15:39 AM »
James_Davidov Offline
Boyar

View Profile WWW

Arrrrrrgh

thnxs guys!

This is all great!

Mia - I never knew about the Finnish "crown", lol

and 'brnbg aka: liljones1968' - Your pictures are amaZING!!! I know its really nerdy, but i got all excited when i saw the photo of the Greek crown, other than in the corner of the family's official website iv never seen an image of it!!!  The crowns of Baden and Bavaria are such pieces of art!!!  ....I must say im not particularly impressed with Wilhelms crown, its a bit plain.  Im guessing that its the prussian crown...??  Because as Kaiser didn't he wear that special Germanic Crown??(y'all know the one im talking about).

Anywai - thnxs heaps for the pics, keep em coming! Smiley

You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary
Reply #5
« on: March 24, 2005, 02:21:21 AM »
James_Davidov Offline
Boyar

View Profile WWW

Ohhh,

BTW - look at the size of the Pearls on the Consort crown of Bavaria - the are MASSIVE...  Also, allthough i called it boring, its covered with some pritty chunky diamonds.  I think the worst is the crown of Yugoslavia...it looks very tacky with the coloured bits and pieces.

James
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by James_Davidov » Logged

Queen Mary
Reply #6
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:28:28 AM »
Lisa Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Alix & Ella Posts: 1464

View Profile

Charlemagne (Carolus Magnus) crown, actually a false recreated for Napoléon I's coronation in 1804:

King Louis XV of France, 1722 by Claude Rondé:

Reply #7
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:35:35 AM »
Lisa Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Duchess of Angoulème diadem, by Frédéric BAPST, 1819-20

Reply #8
« on: March 24, 2005, 03:38:59 AM »
Lisa Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Empress of French Eugénie, 1853 by Gabriel LEMONNIER

all the crowns I posted are in the Museum Louvre in Paris (with the other of Empress Eugénie posted by Brian)

Reply #9
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:10:19 AM »
brnbg aka: liljones1968 Offline
Knyaz
<-------------------------------- YUP, THAT'S ME. Posts: 770

View Profile

There is a phot I have seen of Nicky and Alex on their coronation. Micky is seated on the throne of Alexis with Alexandra next to him and they are wearing the traditional crowns

i'm pretty sure the photo you're referring to, was taken on the occasion of the 1903 costume ball and not on for their coronation..  

N&A didn't wear traditional Russian costumes for their coronation.      N was crowned w/ the enormous diamond crown of Catherine II (the Great), wore a uniform and an long velvet & ermine mantle.

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous
everything we see hides another thing,
we always want to see what is hidden by what we see.

- René Magritte
Reply #10
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:54:51 AM »
brnbg aka: liljones1968 Offline
Knyaz
<-------------------------------- YUP, THAT'S ME. Posts: 770

View Profile

Empress of French Eugénie, 1853 by Gabriel LEMONNIER

all the crowns I posted are in the Museum Louvre in Paris (with the other of Empress Eugénie posted by Brian)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 09:52:21 PM by Alixz » Logged

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous
everything we see hides another thing,
we always want to see what is hidden by what we see.

- René Magritte
Reply #11
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:45:51 AM »
Olga Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 0

View Profile

The Imperial State Crown
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by olga » Logged
Reply #12
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:47:50 AM »
Olga Offline

View Profile

Ekaterina the Great's crown, made especially for her coronation.
Reply #13
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:49:15 AM »
Olga Offline

View Profile

Coronet of the Prince of Wales
Reply #14
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:10:39 AM »
darius Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 336

View Profile

I believe I read that the orb on top of the Prince of Wales crown is actually a table tennis ball sprayed gold!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: