The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
July 25, 2014, 06:39:03 AM
460826 Posts in 8940 Topics by 14534 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about Russian History
| |-+  Russian Imperial Medals, Orders, Uniforms & Militaria (Moderator: Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Tsars Medals
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Tsars Medals  (Read 3740 times)
« on: July 21, 2005, 03:43:49 PM »
sckkr Offline
Do not allow others to set your limits Posts: 15

View Profile

Hi can anyboby tell me what awards the Tsar Nicholas 11 wears in most of the official portraits. I know he had the st Vladimir order 4 class also reign of his Dad and coronation of Alexander 111 also the order of the redemer Greece olso the danish order of Dannebrog. Its the later 2 the I am keen to know what class the were and what Danish king the where awared under? Smiley
Reply #1
« on: July 24, 2005, 07:03:48 PM »
Daniel Briere Offline
Graf

View Profile

Hi scckr!

Here is the « kolodka » (medal bar) Nicholas II wore during the War :

From left to right : St. Vladimir 4th class, Croix de Guerre (France), Coronation of Alexander III, Death of Alexander III, Bicentenary of Battle of Poltava, Centenary of War of 1812, Tercentenary of the Romanovs, Bicentenary of Battle of Gangut, Order of Danneborg Denmark), Order of the Redeemer (Greece).

Missing is the Order of St. George (4th class) he wore in captivity and which was probably stolen in Ekaterinburg by his murderers. I don’t recall having seen photos where he had the Croix de Guerre on but he did wear it, as the French Ambassador recalls in his memoirs. Oddly enough he didn’t give himself his own Coronation medal, and it seems the other medals which bore his profile (Poltava and 1812 War) were worn turned around showing their reverse. Maybe it was out of modesty or it was the tradition, I don’t know.

The Order of the Redeemer had 5 classes, the lowest of which (Silver Cross) had a silver cross with white enamel (the others had gold). So it looks like he got the lowest one. I suspect he received it when he stopped in Athens in Autumn 1890 on his way to the Far East (as he can be seen wearing it afterwards). The King of Greece was then his uncle, George I, the father of his cousin George who accompanied him on his trip to the Middle and Far East.

As for the Order of Dannebrog, it looks rather like the Cross of Honour of the Dannebrog which, unlike the badge of the 4 classes of the Order, is all silver (the Order itself has a white enamel cross lined with either gold or silver cross). From what I have read it seems this Cross was bestowed to people who already had the Order or to members of the Danish Royal Family. Either he was considered as a member of the Family (he was the King’s grandson) or he may have received a Knight’s Cross earlier and only wore this « higher » cross. I don’t know when he received his Danish medal but photos show he got it while he was still Heir to the Throne, so he certainly received it from King Christain IX his grand-father, as the monogram on top of the cross shows.

As Emperor, he was awarded a number of high Foreign orders, including the French Legion of Honour and the British Order of the Garter, which he received in 1893 (he is Knight No. 802). He probably received the highest Greek and Danish orders too. He only wore these orders for State visits but he probably wore his Greek and Danish medals all the time because he saw them as family orders.

Maybe someone from the Danish & Greek Royal Families sections, or the Militaria one, would know more about these medals.

Daniel Briere
Reply #2
« on: July 25, 2005, 04:23:24 AM »
sckkr Offline

View Profile

Thank you very much for your kind reply just what I needed. Good to be a member.
Reply #3
« on: July 26, 2005, 12:10:08 PM »
Romanov_Fan19 Offline
Boyar
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 239

View Profile

What  Medals did other  Romanovs  have  like  Grand  Duke  Michael  Alexandrovich  and his brother George  for example ??   what  about  Alexei
Reply #4
« on: July 26, 2005, 09:46:07 PM »
Daniel Briere Offline
Graf

View Profile

According to Law, on the day they were baptized, all grand-dukes were awarded the following Russian orders: St-Andrew, St-Alexander Nevsky, White Eagle, St. Anna (1st class), and St. Stanislas (1st class).Almost all the Romanov grand-dukes had other medals. I will try to write about Michael and George’s later. Here is what I know about Alexei’s:

Besides the orders he got when he was baptized, he later received the following medals: Centennial of the Battle of Borodino (1912), Tercentenary of the Romanovs (1913), Bicentennial of the Battle of Gangut (1914). In 1915 his father brought him along to inspect the  troops. They came so close to the Front that they could have been hit by enemy fire. Impressed by their “courage”, the Council of the Order of St-George (highest military order of Russia) voted to award the Emperor the Cross of the Order of St. George (4th classs) and a Medal of St. George “For Bravery” (4th class) to Alexei. The Order of St. George had to be worn at all times. Therefore, if Nicholas II or Alexei are seen wearing it on photos, it means the photo was taken after October 1915.

The Tsesarevich also received a number of Foreign orders and medals. I unfortunately don’t have a full list. Apparently he received the Legion of Honor from the French President shortly before the War began. During the War, he was awarded a Serbian military medal and also a Belgian one. This was to be his last: on February 24, 1917 his father wrote his mother that he was sending her and Alexis “each a decoration from the Queen and the King of Belgians – in commemoration of the war.” He added: “you better thank her yourself. Won’t he (Alexei) be pleased to have a new medal!” Little did they know only a week later Alexei would no longer be Heir to the Throne and would never have an opportunity to wear his new medal…

Daniel Briere
Reply #5
« on: July 27, 2005, 10:28:23 AM »
Romanov_Fan19 Offline
Boyar
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 239

View Profile

Thank you just the info I needed
Reply #6
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:21:35 AM »
sckkr Offline

View Profile

Thank you again for getting that information to me . I,ve been interested in the Romanovs and Russia since I was a young fella me lad and that was a few years ago I can tell you. I have started to put together the Tsars Kolodka to add to my Tsar and Imperial Russia collection I still need one or.e two medals but its coming along just fine. I hope to post a pic soon. One thing puzzles me Ref the Tsars medals what is the chain for looks the part can you help.
Reply #7
« on: July 29, 2005, 08:19:35 PM »
Daniel Briere Offline
Graf

View Profile

Great project you have there of replicating the Tsar’s kolodka!

The chain belongs to the medal commemorating the Bicentennial of the naval battle of Gangut (Cape Hankö) awarded to Navy officers in summer 1914.Sailors received an identical medal (light bronze too) but without the chain over the sky blue ribbon.
http://www.anythinganywhere.com/commerce/military/rus-gangut-w130-1.jpg

This medal was struck shortly before WWI began (it was the last Imperial Russian medal to be awarded in peace time) and few books even mention it, probably because only Navy personnel received it. The gold chain is highly unsual as no other Russian medal has such a device attached to it. I was unable to find any information about its meaning. The only explanation I could think of would be a reference to the hauling of the lighter Russian galleys over land ordered by Tsar Peter to take the Swedish Navy by surprise. I have rarely seen photos of this medal  with its original ribbon and chain so I don’t know if the one on the Tsar’s medal is original or not. I have a feeling the one below might well be, although the ribbon is a replacement.

Daniel Briere
Reply #8
« on: July 29, 2005, 09:19:43 PM »
David_Pritchard

I found this image of the Gangut Bicentennial medal in the book Nagradnaya Medal Tom 1 by A Kuznetsov and N. Chepurnov. There is a page or so of text describing the medal and the circumstances of its bestowal. If anyone would like to take the time to translate the text, I will scan it for them.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by David_Pritchard » Logged
Reply #9
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:26:25 AM »
sckkr Offline

View Profile

Well the news is good on the replicating project Danial. I got the order of Dannebrog and the savior today somthings are on the up. Bit disapointed with the Coronation medal of Tsar Alexander III I found out that manufacture varied from manufacturer to manufacturer and mine just happens to be bronze plated. Never mind I,m still Glad to have it. The next topic is how to mount them I,m looking for the suspension bar that will include the order of st George. or to mount the as individual medals desicions descicions. Thanks for getting back I keep you guys posted. Stu
By the way great picture of the Bicenteenery of Gangut I may have that one soon fingers crossed any Idea on current imperial medal prices???
Reply #10
« on: July 30, 2005, 08:33:21 AM »
Daniel Briere Offline
Graf

View Profile

Thanks David : I don’t have the book from Kuznetsov &Chepunov, so you might scan what they have on the Gangut medal. I can’t promise I’ll translate it all, but I could check if there’s more to what we already know. I should add that the 1914 Gangut medal was similar to the 1714 one granted to officers (gold) and sailors (silver) who participated in the Battle. Interestingly enough, I just found that the original medal which was awarded to officers was worn suspended either to a St. Andrew ribbon, a gold chain, or to a ribbon with a small gold chain (for captains, majors and colonels) . Here is an excellent  French link about the 1714 medal :
http://81.80.104.182/embleme/medaille/pierre1/1714gangut.htm

Why the chain, it doesn’t say unfortunately . So I guess the chain was added in 1914 to replicate the original one…
On this pageabout the 1914 medal  there is a photo of the medal with its ribbon and gold chain :
http://81.80.104.182/embleme/medaille/nicolas2/1914gangut.htm

Sckkr : congratulations for your foreign orders! As how to mount your medals, it depends how you want to display them. Originally they were mounted on metal suspension devices of course. I have seen some old – and new (inexpensive) devices for sale. The modern ones seem to be almost identical to the old Imperial bars. I have a few, but I gave up mounting ribbons on those multiple ones for now : it isn’t as easy as it seems… Here’s the reverse of the Navy officer medal bar :

As for medal prices, I haven’t been shopping for some for a long while, but from what I see, they go for anything around $100 to a few hundred dollars, depending on the medal. Beware of replicas and recasts sold as genuine though : they are all over the place! If they look too good, they probably are…fakes!  

Daniel Briere
Reply #11
« on: October 11, 2005, 05:02:12 PM »
sckkr Offline

View Profile

Hello Danial
The Medals are finished Ive done them all they look great. The Kolodka I made is slightly larger and done in the British court style. Again slightly than N 11 because I used the standard 25mm as the ribbon size dictates. If you look at the Tsars it is a lot Narrower but longer. I hope to post them on this site soon. Just one question its about Alexys medals was his medal of st george for bravery or was it a 4 cl I am not to sure about the difference?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: