Author Topic: Anna Anderson Discussion of Evidence  (Read 95594 times)

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Anderson Discussion of Evidence
« Reply #375 on: November 10, 2007, 02:39:08 PM »
Which is evidence of Olga's feelings, not Anna Anderson. You started a thread about her feelings, and in fact have posted it there.
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2007, 03:02:28 PM »
Well, in the end none of us will know of course what anyone was feeling or not feeling at the time since we can't read their minds. We can perhaps interpret documents/letters/archives/memoirs in conjuction with common sense, which is what most historians do, but ultimately history is not like hard science or math, and in the end it's all more or less speculation, as it is in this case... We can only come up with reasonable conjecture.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #377 on: November 10, 2007, 03:16:13 PM »
ultimately history is not like hard science or math, and in the end it's all more or less speculation, as it is in this case...

Unfortunately, there are still those who put hard science in the category of speculation and conjecture; sadly some of these same people will not allow anyone to speculate any deeper on whether or not someone actually knew FS's height, shoe size, etc., that remains a 'fact'... This is why they prefer no discussion not based on something they can't put a Kurth page number to, and do not like anyone delving into the 'maybes' of why it wasn't exactly so, and questioning supporters' motives...that is, unless they choose to question the motives of detractors such as Gilliard, Olga, her biographer, etc....and of course the validity of hard science... then I guess speculating is okay...and so it goes..and here we are....and it's a beautiful day..
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 03:34:16 PM by Annie »

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »
Annie,

Scientists themselves put "hard science" in the realm of "conjecture" or "best guess", since you never know what might turn up.

Is it necessary to take cracks at Peter Kurth?  If it makes you feel better, sweetheart, I would raise the same concerns about his book The Riddle of Anna Anderson as I did about Vorres' biography of Olga. Peter Kurth is also emotionally involved with his subject --- something he freely admits, by the way --- and so his conclusions should be rigorously examined to make sure they are correct. And there are more conclusions in the book about Anna Anderson than whether she was the Grand Duchess, so while you can disagree with him about that, it doesn't mean he got other things wrong. I didn't dismiss the Olga biography in toto, either. Or James Lovell, or anyone else who wrote about the case. I have corresponded with Shay McNeal, dear, and while I think her conclusions about the survival of the family are wrong, there was some interesting information in the book. And guess what? I was able to speak with her without getting my knickers in a knot. We ended up talking about the possibility of meeting for a glass of wine. Shay, if you're reading this, give me a call.

And no one is stopping you from doing anything at all, Annie. You're all over this forum, from what I can tell. So you should be prepared for people to disagree with you. That is not bullying, and it is certainly not repression.

It is a beautiful day here as well. Try to enjoy it, and stop being so paranoid about the supporters of Anna Anderson.

Simon

Helen,

No, we can't read their minds. We can only read their letters or diaries, and use the brains that God gave us (if there is a God, if not, never mind). But please understand that you do not have a monopoly on "common sense", dear Helen, and it is possible to come to different conlcusions about her emotional state based upon this letter. Since we can never know for sure, how about we call it a draw?

Simon

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 04:47:49 PM by Louis_Charles »
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."