Author Topic: SOLOVKI and GD Elizabeth  (Read 4243 times)

Offline Adele

• View Profile
SOLOVKI and GD Elizabeth
« on: June 14, 2004, 06:17:03 AM »
On Saturday, I stopped by a bookstore near my home.  I wasn't looking for anything specific---just browsing---when I came across an amazing book:

SOLOVKI:  The Story of Russia Told Through Its Most Remarkable Islands.
By Roy R. Robson
Yale Univeristy Press.  New Haven and London.  2004

I looked at the blurb on the cover.  On the fly leaf on the back it has a photo of the author and it states that he teachers here in Philadelphia!!!  (University of the Sciences).  I'm going to see if I can find an email address for him, and tell him what a remarkable book this is.  

Since I admit I know close to nothing about the Romanovs (and other things, I'm afraid!!!), I purchased the book, sat in Rittenhouse Square since it was a gorgeous day, and read parts of the book.  It's very well written.

I soon came across something about GD Elizabeth that I wanted to share with everyone on this wonderful Discussion page:

On page 195, I read the following about GD Elizabeth:

(I'll paraphrase).  On 25 June 1913, GD Elizabeth arrived on Solovki for a 4-day Pilgrimage. (arriving on the new steamship VERA from Archangel).   Her visit was timed to celebrate the three-hundreth anniversary of the Romanov dynasty.  This visit was a chance to highlight Solovki's mix of work and piety.
Archimandrite Ioanniki (from the monastery there) met her and presented her with the traditional bread and salt (of welcome).

She ended up spending 5 days on Solovki, in order to pray at the outlying hermitages.  

I thought that was an interesting tidbit on Elizabeth, and maybe someone here can add to this information.

Warm regards,
Adele

P.S.  Unfortunately, later, the Soviets used the Islands as a prison.

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: SOLOVKI and GD Elizabeth
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 07:29:55 PM »
C'mon, he had his moments. ;)

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »
...Yes, but what kind of moments ?  :)

Sunny

Offline JM

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 07:50:06 PM »
Memorable ones.   8)

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 07:58:17 PM »
.....Great sense of humor  ;)

Sunny

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 12:25:57 AM »
It was still sweet of him to go with her. He seems to have had quite the "crush" ( if you go by his memoirs )from childhood. It's probably the reason he went.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Adele

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 07:00:42 AM »
Not only did GD Ella visit Solovki in 1913, she was accompanied by Felix Yusupov who didn't care for it all.  His letters to Irina Alexandrovna detail his long list of complaints, and I believe he left the island before he planned to.  I've written to Roy Robson about Felix's role in the trip and he's quite interested in the correspondence.  It may have been a spiriitual journey for Ella, but for Felix it was a journey into the world of inconvenience, spartan existence, and bad food.  Pity.

Elizaveta

Thanks for this information.  I had no idea Felix went with her.  See, I just knew people on this great discussion group could add to the information!!!

And I have been enjoying the funny back and forth  re: Felix's attributes.  (In his photos, he did have a great haircut!).   Poor Felix!  Poor Elizabeth!  Opposites attract, I guess!

You know Robson?  Do  you feel comfortable giving me his email address off-line?  I want to send him a note; I am enjoying his book very much.

Warm regards,
Adele

Offline stepan

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 03:08:35 PM »
I remember that Felix bought a bear somewhere along the trip and had it transported in a railway wagon to St petersburg.Just one of his whims!  Ella laughingly told him he was crazy!  They seem both to have enjoyed this trip a lot.