Author Topic: Your Personal Top Ten Favorite Royal List  (Read 42248 times)

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
Re: Your Personal Top Ten Favorite Royal List
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2006, 10:17:52 AM »
7. Queen Mary--long list of reasons (many of which I've gone over on various threads) but I admire a good number of her qualities and think she's more complex than given credit

8. GV--I admire the devotion to his country, his wife and understand his faults, though I don't excuse all them; like QM I think underappreciated for what he contributed to his country; outpouring at his Jubilee & funeral were immense even by today's standards

I certainly agree with these.  I almost included them on my list.  Queen Mary continues to fascinate, I think because there is that tantalizing feeling that there is so much more to her than we really know...just beneath the surface, almost seeable but wafting away in a lazy column of smoke if looked at directly.  People will always be wondering "What was she really like?", as they do and will of her granddaughter the present Queen.

I think George V's grasp of constitutional matters has been overlooked or underestimated.  I get the feeling that he was a wise old bird in this way.

Yes I'm sure Janet could. I saw the use of the  >:( as rather a jumping on though. .

:D  Yes, you are right, I could.  Truthfully, though, I didn't take it as any kind of attack or anything.  I thought it was just conversation.  

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2006, 05:41:56 AM »
my choice:

1. Marie ,Queen of Romania-no further comment,i could write 100 pages of qualities yet all were already mentioned :)

2.Elisabeth ,Empress of Austria,Queen of Hungary-"a seagull entraped in a gilded cage"-also intelligence,beauty,grace+100 more qualities

3.Daisy of Sweden-most of the reasons were already listed:pretty,kind,she spread  love and she was rewarded with love.a very lucky lady IMO

4.Ena ,Queen of Spain--lovely character,stylish person,kind,elegant,beautiful+...

5.Ella,Grandduchess of Russia--beautiful,faithful,interesting even when she became a nun and... my only Hessian option :-/

6.King George V --devotion +grandduchessella's reasons; ... aaaa + "the Missy thing":)

7.Queen Elizabeth,the Queen Mother--wonderful consort,lovely mother,grandmother and greatgrandmother.

8.Princess Diana:many faults but:beautiful,modern,charitable,she would have made a wonderful and beloved Queen.

9.Queen Alexandra:beautiful,beautiful,beautiful representative of what was called "the Belle Epoque "

10.Maud of Norway: most reasons listed before:elecance,a wonderful Queen in a new monarchy etc

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Laurra »

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2006, 07:09:17 AM »
Lovely list Laura and great reasons!! :) :-* :-*
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2006, 04:42:24 PM »
thank you Eddie :) :-* would love to see your choice!...of course if this is not too hard,since i find this thread quite difficult.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2006, 05:08:06 PM »
Your welcome Laura :)  :-* I couldn't make a list, I just have so many favourites....ok let me try  ;D ;D

1. Queen Victoria - very shrewd, know one got the better of her, and was very funny even though she didnt mean to be!! Once she was hissed at Ascot by a couple of Duchesses. She said they "aught to have been flogged!!!" that sort of thing makes me laugh! Also very loyal to her family. I love reading how she looked after Vicky.

2. Queen Mary - just wonderful. Very keen on history like me. A great Queen and looked wonderful in her jewels. devoted to her role and excellent at it. Sad she outlived so many but did so well to live until 1953!

3. Queen Alexandra - very kind! Sweet, loved animals like me. Very beautiful.

4. Dagmar - Knew how to be an Empress, and was tragic how her life turned out  :'( :'(

5. Vicky - very nice, annoys me she had such hard time. Wrote beautiful letters and was very shrewd and kind. Wanted ALL her daughters to marry and be happy. Sad she died after such suffering and so soon after her mother.

6. Quen Elizabeth - A  splendid Queen, now almost 80, still going strong and long may she. She's wonderful.

7. Empress Alix - well...just amazing! Love the fact that she never stopped acting like an Empress after 1917, call it arrogant, but I find that appealing!! She was a Princess from Hesse and had such a huge impact on the world. Was a great wife and mother in my opinion. So good to Nicky.

8. Marie Antoinette - Great Queen. Knew how to die when the time came. Saddens me she had such grief. love everthing about her life. Like her sister Maria Carolina too. :)

9. OTMA - Beautiful Grand Duchesses. Loyal to each other. Love looking at their photos. Coped well with hardship. Managed so admirably with their change of fortunes. Call it hero worshipping but they deserve to be saints. So much potential wasted...

10. Princess Marie Louise - It was this lovely princess that first got me interested in royalty after I found a picture of her, and i will never forget that.

Is that my ten already?? ;D ;D

Also my other favourites are..Edward VII, George V, Leopold, Beatrice, GD Xenia and Olga,  Queen Mother, Madame Elisabeth (wonderfully loyal), Toria, Maud, Louise of Wales and Eddy (found their pictures in the barn and hung them on my wall)!! Victoria and Irene of Hesse. Princess Alice of Hesse - wonderful very humane.
Queen Sophie of Greece. Missy, amazing Queen. Ena. Ella!!

And dozens of others. All fascinating and all wonderful.

Still awake??  ;D ;D

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eddieboy_uk »

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2006, 05:16:25 PM »
Great list Eddie!  :D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »
lol, thanks prince!!  ;)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2006, 06:09:57 PM »
i can't build a top ten, the order changes all the time. so here's a list of favorite royals, in no particular order:

henry 7th of england: i know, a very unlikely choice and no-one will ever agree with me, but he simply fascinates me. he was descending from a bastard, with no right to the throne, and yet he won it and kept it. and he managed to bring peace to his country, he raised it higher on the european diplomatic table after the so devastating wars of the roses... i could go on, he just seems like an amazingly interesting person... i've always been after the ones where there seems to be more than meets the eye

elizabeth 1st of england - so much like her grandfather, mentioned above, so much better known. tolerant, inteligent, a wonderful queen. i find it hard to imagine england being what it is today without her.

napoleon 2nd - such a sad short life. such prommise. such a shame.

prince alfred of edinburgh - everyone describes him as kind of rude. but my impression in missy's book was of a solitary man who had many interesting things to say when he actually wanted to (very rarely apparently). another 'more than meets the eye'

henry 4th of france - another king who brought peace to his country after devastating wars. everyone calls louis xiv the best french king. i disagree, i think henry was what france needed when it needed him, he made it stronger and louis xiv would have been nothing without him. also, a very interesting fellow, if you read about his personal life

queen victoria + prince alfbert - i just love their love story, their children, themselves

queen marie of romania - for my country, because she did so much good to it, for her fascinating life

it's kinda late and i can't think of any more royals. i would make an honourable mention with the borgias. they're not royals (unless you count lucrezia's marriage into the d'este family), but they are amazingly fascinating.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2006, 04:02:32 AM »
wonderful list Eddie,that's a hard work there! :-*--the truth is that i find it so hard to chose just 10 Royals :)

Still awake??  ;D ;D

lol,  NO! i read it this morning -a very pleasant surprise ;D :D :D

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2006, 04:04:53 AM »
Thank you Laura!!  :-* :-*

Yes, i just find them all fascinating in their own way! Royalty is always interesting IMO!

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »
henry 7th of england: i know, a very unlikely choice and no-one will ever agree with me, but he simply fascinates me. he was descending from a bastard, with no right to the throne, and yet he won it and kept it. and he managed to bring peace to his country, he raised it higher on the european diplomatic table after the so devastating wars of the roses... i could go on, he just seems like an amazingly interesting person... i've always been after the ones where there seems to be more than meets the eye

Don't be so sure no one will agree! That's a great choice ilyala! :D I agree 100%.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Agneschen

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2006, 07:23:09 AM »
My top 10 favourite list :

1. King Ludwig II of Bavaria - My absolute favourite ! Haunting, fascinating & unhappy at heart. Disappointed with the world that surrounded him he took refuge in his own dream world, got caught and could never escape from there. And last, a very feminine reason, his beautiful haunting eyes !

2. Empress Carlota of Mexico - She was born the beautiful, clever, cultured daughter of a wealthy & respected King and yet her life was an endless succession of dramas. A truly tragic character !

3. Kaiser Karl I of Austria-Ungary "der Friedenskaiser" - The noblest of men at heart. He inherited a situation no one could have handled & yet did his utmost to stop WW1. Devoted to his country & fellow countrymen, exile killed him at the young age of 35. He died like a true Christian. I also greatly admire his wife Zita, a strong woman, who knew how to keep her head high & retained her dignity when humiliation & poverty looked at her in the face.

4. Sophie Charlotte, Duchess of Alençon - Heaven & earth fought for her possesion. Another great tragic character !
I am also a great admirer of her elder sister Marie Queen of Naples.

5. Queen Margherita of Italy - She truly was a born queen, knew her job & did it wonderfully well. I also admire her beauty & flamboyance.

6. Princess Clémentine of Saxe Coburg - Quite a character !

7. Queen Marie Amélie of the French (Clémentine's mother) - A loving wife & a caring attentive mother, she was the mainstay of her family who simply worshipped her. Talleyrand called her "la dernière grande dame d'Europe" and so she was !

8. King Louis XIV of France "the Sun King" - THE embodiment of greatness & power ! He showed all the others what "to be a king" meant.
I have a soft spot in my heart for his handsome great grandson Louis XV in spite of all the mistakes he made.

9. King Louis XVI of France & wife Marie Antoinette - Louis XVI was not the silly obese fool history wants to make of him but a good man, clever & well educated together as a good king. Marie Antoinette revealed her true self after the revolution had started. Her wonderful dignity in the face of adversity cannot but arise respect.

10. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany - I devoted long chapters of my university thesis to Wilhelm & did a lot of research about him. I cannot help seeing the  complexed, little boy asking for love behind all his actions as a man.

Offline Tdora

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2006, 03:36:40 AM »
In no order:

Marie of Battenberg (Erbach-Schonberg) - four larger than life brothers yet never eclipsed.

Empress Michiko - now thats what I call courage.

Henry V - read the play, see the film.

Elizabeth I - "...and I think foul scorn that any Prince... should dare invade the borders of my realm."

Vicky - "Vicky had an incurable tendency, one that experience failed to alter, to do exactly what she pleased and to speak her mind with arresting bluntness, indifferent if not oblivious to the consequences of her behaviour. She was charming and impressive but tryingly difficult."
From Cecil: Prince and Emperor

(According to my nearest and dearest, that also describes this contributor so accurately as to be uncanny - especially as we share the same birthday!)

Peter the Great - Colossus of history

The late King Hussein of Jordan - swoon

Fat Mary - irresistably endearing

Helen, Duchess of Albany - reasons as given elsewhere

Irene of Hesse - ditto. Probably my favourite of all QV's Gds.
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

WH Auden: The Ascent of F.6

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2006, 04:33:06 AM »
Great list Tdora! Why Irene? I like her too!  :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2006, 09:55:23 AM »
Well, here is my list and I've tried to be a bit different. I've chosen personality over "niceness" in some cases 8)
Oh, and they aren't in any particular order;
1) Fat Mary; So she was fat, who cares, you go girl.
2) Anne Boleyn; darkly intelligent,sexually alluring, mysterious and truely fascinating.
3) Katherine Duchess of Kent; a sweet and beautiful Lady.
4) Isabeau of Bavaria,wife of Charles VI of France; incredibly powerful due to her husband's frequent bouts of insanity. Nothing "nice" about her but fascinating nonetheless.
5) Elizabeth II; in spite of her offspring :D and she looks like she is having such a wonderful time in Oz.
6) Christian IX of Denmark; The grandaddy of European Royalty.
7) Edward VII; he just makes me smile. :D
8) Henri IV of France; what a mother in law from hell he had! King of the "one-liners".
OK I am a Yorkist 8)
9) Edward IV; Randy, handsome and god-like but extremely shrewd.
10) Who else but Richard III of blessed memory; dark, mysterious,tragic and very much maligned.
Cheers Kim.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kimberly »
Member of the Richard III Society