Author Topic: Your Personal Top Ten Favorite Royal List  (Read 42672 times)

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Your Personal Top Ten Favorite Royal List
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2005, 09:30:30 AM »
1. Queen Victoria - maybe the last monarch who dabbled in politics?
2. Prince William of Orange - just to plunge myself into controversy
3. King George III - so what if he has a nasty reputation?
4. King George VI - wasn't really suited to be king but made a good job of it anyway
5. Tsar Alexander III - tried his best for his people
6. Queen Elizabeth I - she had character ;)
7. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother - she had a faults but she is, IMO, much to be admired
8. Empress Marie Feodorovna - I just like her ::)
9. Queen Mary (wife of George V) - a true lady; I think her efforts during the war years are admirable
10. Queen Alexandra (wife of Edward VII) - sister to Dagmar lol :P

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2005, 09:33:12 AM »
Which Prince of Orange do you mean, lass?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2005, 01:48:25 PM »
Husband of Queen Mary, King William III (I think ::)).

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2005, 01:49:26 PM »
Why is it you like him?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2005, 02:39:35 PM »
I just do. ;) Well, I like the way he and Mary were equally King & Queen instead of a monarch and a consort. That's one thing.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2005, 07:26:28 PM »
I just do. ;) Well, I like the way he and Mary were equally King & Queen instead of a monarch and a consort. That's one thing.

Express you opinions and ideas!  We all learn from each other on this thread and the Forum as a whole.  "I just do" is an Ok answer but I know you have greater thoughts on the matter.  Please share your thoughts on William & Mary and facilliate the exchange of ideas and debate.

Respectfully yours,

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2005, 12:19:03 AM »
Express you opinions and ideas!  We all learn from each other on this thread and the Forum as a whole.  "I just do" is an Ok answer but I know you have greater thoughts on the matter.  Please share your thoughts on William & Mary and facilliate the exchange of ideas and debate.

Respectfully yours,

TampaBay

Was that a formal reproof?! ;D Probably my main reasons for liking him are that he was Protestant & he rescued us from the House of Stuart. :D

8. Empress Marie Feodorovna - I just like her ::)

I think that is worse. :P But then, perhaps, you can relate to that better! :D

bluetoria

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2005, 04:40:12 AM »

Probably my main reasons for liking him are that he was Protestant & he rescued us from the House of Stuart. :D

Did we need rescuing from the House of Stuart?
It has always seemed to be a very odd thing that we found it necessary to have William as King. Why didn't we just have Mary as Queen and her husband as Consort? I mean, Anne became queen in her own right...

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2005, 05:18:39 AM »

Did we need rescuing from the House of Stuart?
It has always seemed to be a very odd thing that we found it necessary to have William as King. Why didn't we just have Mary as Queen and her husband as Consort? I mean, Anne became queen in her own right...

Blue,

Here's the deal!

Mary was in line for the crown!  The third in line for the crown (behind her sister Anne) was...Low and Behold....Prince Willaim of Orange.  Now who do you suppose Mary was married to but....Low and Behold...William of Orange.  Mary did not want to be Queen, for what reason I did not know.  So to make a short story even longer, Mary agreed to accept the crown if her husband was crowned as a co-soverign.

I hope someone has more information.  It is my conjecture that Mary wanted to be a wife, Queen & mother and let her hubby see to the day to day soverign duties.  It really turned out for the best and was a good compromise to get Protestant Mary on the throne.  William was a good King from all I have read and they both were protestant to their last ounce of bone marrow & blood.

Tampabay

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2005, 05:34:32 AM »
Mary had no interest in politics. She was completely dominated by William, who was 11 years her senior, and he didn't just want to be 'his wife's lackey'. So, they became co-monarchs, though William had all the real power, which suited Mary fine, though she was regent when he was abroad. as for Anne, her husband was not only not in the line of succession, but very dull and a little stupid - he wouldn't have cut an imposing figure as King Consort.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2005, 05:50:42 AM »
Prince,

Do you agree William III was a descent King.  I believe I read somewhere that Mary wanted to be a mother and raise "Royal" children.  Of course this did not happen. I always had a soft spot for her.  

Also, William III knew alot about the milliatry if I am not getting my Williams mixed up.  The co-soverign deal worked and that is what is important.

William & Mary College in Virginia USA is named after them.  Americans have alweays loved the British Royals!  ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2005, 05:55:30 AM »
William was a good king, but he was never popular in England (unlike Mary, who was loved) and had a tendency to invlove England in costly foreign wars, but on the whole a good king. If you're interested, TB, pop over to the Stuart board and tsaria and I will give you a warm welcome.  :)
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2005, 07:29:54 AM »

As for Anne, her husband was not only not in the line of succession, but very dull and a little stupid - he wouldn't have cut an imposing figure as King Consort.

From my studies I conclude,  Anne really loved old George of Denmark.  

Though stupid, I understand him to be remembered as a "very good man and husband".  Anne had 17 pregancies so there was something to their realtionship.  He also gave her two killer necklaces of pearls if my memory is correct.

TampaBay

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2005, 07:33:53 AM »
I don't know about the necklaces, but yes they were happy. Charles II, Anne's uncle, said of George - 'I have tried him drunk and I have tried him sober and there is nothing in him.' Mind you, Charles also said this when Mary and William were being 'bedded': 'Now nephew, to your work, St George for England! Hey!' so he wasn't known for his tact!
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline KatieAnn

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2005, 09:52:57 AM »
Ok, here's my Top 10 favourites.

1.  Diana, Princess of Wales - a star that shone too brightly and too briefly.  Often imitated, but never eclipsed.
2.  Princess Eugenie of York - a stunner in the making.
3.  The Queen.  Well, she's been doing the job for 50+ years now, without a blooper, so she deserves to be this high in the ranking.
4.  GD Anastasia Nicholaevna - the Imp of the family.  As I was nicknamed the Holy Terror as a child, I know we'd have been great friends!
5.  The Duchess of Kent.  A Yorkshire Beauty whose style and gentle nature make her much loved.
6.  Princess Alexandra (Ogilvy).  Relaxed, calm and unstuffy.
7.  Princess Victoria, The Princess Royal.  A treasure that went to Germany, adored by Fritz and briefly Empress, she died in agony, despised by her son - but much loved in Britain.
8.  Catherine the Great of Russia - killed her husband, took control of a huge country and ruled it all.  Wow!
9.  Empress Carlotta of Mexico.  Beautiful but tragic - such a sad story.
10.  Lady Louise Windsor (Wessex).  A 2 year old pretty girl happy to toddle along beside her Mum on holiday.  And, she's never given an interview ...!
Kathleen