Author Topic: Christian VII  (Read 19098 times)

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Christian VII
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2005, 05:58:04 PM »
Anytime. ;)
Very little was mentioned or discussed about his behaviour in  his reign. According to the law he was the absolute king, and he could't be insane. For instance the later Christian VIII never mentions anything about his uncle being literally crazy. It was tabu.
I think it is quite certain that he suffered from schizophrenia. It is belived, that it most likely was partly inherited and partly his upbringing that caused it. But I don't know from whom he could have inherited the gene. Porphyria was brought up as a cause in some elder books, but it has since been dismissed.

Offline Rosamund

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2005, 04:40:07 AM »
Many thanks for your answers!!

What was then the explanation given for the regency to the general public?  

According to 'Georgian Princesses', by John van der Kiste, Christian was deformed and very small, barely reaching his wife's shoulder.  What was the deformity and were any other members of his family described as being deformed?    

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 11:25:53 AM »
Many thanks for your answers!!

What was then the explanation given for the regency to the general public?  

According to 'Georgian Princesses', by John van der Kiste, Christian was deformed and very small, barely reaching his wife's shoulder.  What was the deformity and were any other members of his family described as being deformed?    

There wasn't a regency. A state council was established under the kings authority, where the hereditary prince Frederik participated. Guldberg and Juliane Marie however ruled the country in effect.
I don't think he was deform, just really short! His half brother was also desribed as being somewhat deform...

Offline Rosamund

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005, 05:05:18 AM »
Then how did the State Council explain the King's illness to the public?

Was Christian well treated after he became incapable of relating to the world?

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2005, 11:53:06 AM »
It wasn't explain to the public. His ilness was not mentioned, and he continued to function as the absolute monarch. Every document was signed by him, but after the coup by crown prince Frederik (VI), he also had to sign the document before it was valid. But nothing was said to the public, but a a lot of people of course knew it.
Well, I think he lived a very secluded life, watched over b courtiers, but wasn't ill treated.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »
Is there anywhere a state portrait of Queen Juliane?I was searching the web and I only found some very small portraits witch were already posted...she seems to be very strong minded person!

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »
This is the only one I have at the moment.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2005, 03:09:35 PM »
Thanks Kmerov,it seems you really have everything :) She looks very regal on this portrait!

Offline Daniela

• Boyar
  • Castle Rihenberk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 07:57:48 AM »
I'm reading Robert Neumann's book on Queen Caroline Mathilde and Struensee.

There is mentioned that Queen Juliana didn't liked British royal family, because King George III didn't choose her sister as his bride [ch8211] don't remember which sister - she had two or three unmarried sister. Was that so? And which sister he turned down?

Daniela
Izberi svojo ljubezen, in ljubi svoj izbor!

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2006, 01:57:14 PM »
More info about Juliana, please?

IŽd like to know if she was good with the two children of Carolina Mathilda, little Frederick and Louisa Augusta, when they lose their mother...

Offline Zanthia

• Boyar
  • "She always made other women look common"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2006, 03:44:15 PM »
She never liked Caroline Mathilde, and as for her children, she saw them as a threat towards her own son, the hereditary prince Frederik and his chances to become king. In Frederik's case of course, since he was the heir to the throne after Christian VII. As for Louise Augusta, she always refered to her as "La petite Struensee", and by saying that we can clearly see, that even though Christian VII accepted Louisa as his daughter, Juliane never her saw as anything else but the bastard child of Caroline and Struensee. I'm certain it would have killed Juliane, if she had lived to see her grandson Christian (VIII) marry Louise's daughter, Caroline Amalie, and thus making Struensee's granddaughter Queen of Denmark.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Zanthia »
Of Alix: "I was raised in an age of beautiful women, and the two most beautiful was the Empress Elisabeth of Austria and my own mother"  George V

"We've invited all the beautiful women we know, but the Princess of Wales in the most beautiful of them all"  Bertie