Author Topic: What Romanov wuold you invite to dinner?  (Read 26031 times)

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
Re: What Romanov wuold you invite to dinner?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005, 04:34:14 PM »
Well, I was also thinking that I wouldn't mind inviting Peter I, but he may get too drunk and rowdy!  ;)

LOL!!!

Offline ptitchka

• Oblazhayu Tsesaryevicha Aleksiya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005, 04:36:12 PM »

Be careful that he will not put a strawberry in your'e shoe...lol

Poor little Tsarevich!  Would he ever have lived that down?  But just to be on the safe side, strawberries would not be on the menu.  The boy did like raspberry jam, though....

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 04:48:25 PM »
I'm not sure if the best dinner guests are necessarily the people you'd most like to know on a long term basis. If I was hosting a small dinner party I'd want to invite a raconteur type with great stories, and for right now I'm thinking Felix and even of one of my least favorite Romanovs, Grand Duke Alexander. Since both were continental types, they'd have no problem fitting in with a group of people and would undoubtedly take over the whole evening . . . but, after all, that would be the point!

In terms of a light meal with light conversation? If I wasn't aware of his awful fate, dining with Nicholas would be, I think, a very pleasant tete a tete. (Though I might be a bit sensitive to his post meal smoke.  ::) )

If I was to choose a Romanov to "hang" with, though, it would definitely be Olga Nicholaevna. I think we'd have good conversations, and she seems to have been the sort of well-read, considerate person who could be, as the situation required it, either light-hearted or serious, and had a real potential for long term friendship.

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 05:28:38 PM »
This is a very interesting question indeed.  I'm not sure whom I would choose, and picking just one is rather difficult.  I would love to talk to Nikolai II and his wife and children.  I would also add Elizaveta Fyodorovna and Ol'ga Alexandrovna to the group.  I would avoid cooking, because I'm a spaz in the kitchen even on a good day.
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 06:21:13 AM »
Okay, here is the start of my list.  Alexandra Iosifovna, Gand Duke and Duchess Vladimir, Sandro, KR, GD Paul and Princess Paley, Misha and Countess Brassova and the incomparable Felix.  Catered, full dress, tiaras and orders, dancing to follow...Do you think it would be an interesting evening?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2005, 07:38:59 AM »
Okay, here is the start of my list.  Alexandra Iosifovna, Gand Duke and Duchess Vladimir, Sandro, KR, GD Paul and Princess Paley, Misha and Countess Brassova and the incomparable Felix.  Catered, full dress, tiaras and orders, dancing to follow...Do you think it would be an interesting evening?

that sounds lovely! I wish I had a REAL tiara!  :) ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Maria_Pavlovna »

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2005, 08:15:26 AM »
I have some wonderful tiaras at work; sadly none of them are real....Good enough for the stage though!

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Val289

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2005, 09:22:28 AM »

Ohhhh!!!  Very interesting, indeed - Martyn  ;)

bluetoria

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2005, 10:45:01 AM »

Tiaras for Felix perhaps? (And don't serve him melon, but that's another story :)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2005, 11:31:45 AM »

Tiaras for Felix perhaps? (And don't serve him melon, but that's another story :)

Don't be silly.  It would not be necessary.  Felix would not sport a tiara unless he was entertaining a gentleman, and was incognito and 'en travestie'......In such mixed and  illustrious company, to all of whom he would be known, he would simply fall back on his devastating charm and original conversation.....

bluetoria

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2005, 11:42:05 AM »
 ;D Clearly, I'm not very 'au fait' with the ways of these fascinating characters!

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2005, 11:59:25 AM »
Martyn, I'm a bit too much like Alexandra to enjoy an evening with such sparkling company . . . unless you want me there as a journalist, ready to write up the event for the next day's society pages, in which case I'll check my inhibitions at the door and don one of those spare tiaras!  ;)

Offline Kätlin

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2005, 12:28:24 PM »
I would definately invite Felix (because he is absolutely fascanating and one of my favourite characters from all history) and Irina, and also Dmitry Pavlovitch, Sandro, Nikolai Michailovitch, Michael and Natasha

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2005, 12:39:44 PM »
Dear Martyn

Cooking wasn't the point - merely a 'throw-away'.   What I thought interesting would be a menu to match the dinner party companion  - I'd take out a mortgage if necessary to employ caterers.

tsaria

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2005, 04:20:23 PM »
I'm wondering what would happen if Alexandra, the Dowager empress and Grand duchess Vladimir shared one table.

Definetely wouldn't serve the meal on my finest china or wedgewood!

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.