Author Topic: Atlantis Magazine  (Read 16684 times)

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
Re: Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »
Where can one get the back copies of the magazine?

A lot of the articles are available online now: -

www.kingandwilson.com

and

www.directarticle.org.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »
Thank you Janet
Are all the articles on line?
How long was the magazine in print and how many issues were printed?
Thank you

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 11:14:49 PM »
Not all issues or articles are on line. We published it from 1999-(I think) 2005, and generally (though not always) with four issues a year of about 75-150 pages each. Unfortunately Penny lost many of the saved file copies in a computer crash, though we may attempt at some point to reassemble and scan something from the surviving hard copies and make it available on line, but would have to check first with the multitude of people who wrote for us to get clearance. Possibly something for the future.

Offline Zella

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 08:59:45 PM »
what is online is great.  wish there was more.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:43 PM »
The articles online make me wish I had known Atlantis Magazine earlier. They are really wonderful, entertaining & informative reads.

Constantinople

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 05:21:26 AM »
The article on Imperial yatchs is absolutely fascinating but difficult to read (white is difficult to read).  Where did you source your research from?

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 06:26:10 AM »
Re Reply #19 and "ashanti01":   You are absolutely correct, "ashanti01" !  I read and re-read the articles that I could/can access online quite frequently.  Best regards,  AP.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 06:32:38 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Constantinople

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 06:37:28 AM »
I just read your footnotes so I answered my own question.  Do you know much about the post revolutionary history of Polar Star?

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 06:47:49 AM »
I don't know much re: Polar Star other than what went in to the article or into that section of my book The Court of the Last Tsar-just, I believe, that it was used by the Soviet Navy, as was Standart. I thought it had been scrapped at some point-I seem to recall reading this, but I cannot remember the details, unfortunately.

Constantinople

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 06:57:25 AM »
Well it is obvious that it would have been scrapped at some point but it would be interesting to know the details.  The Marti was not very effective as a naval ship.  I think it is a shame that neither yatch was preserved and used as a floating museum.  Perhaps someone in St Petersburg with access to the Naval Museum there might be able to find something.

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
I believe I read (but cannot confirm or say where now) that Marti ended up in an Estonian yard to be scrapped. I am pretty sure this is what took place though I cannot recall the year of place.

Constantinople

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
that is correct about the Marti.   I think this happened in the 1960s. My gut feeling about the Polar Star is that it was used as a floating detention centre for a while and maybe the fittings were taken off and used by high level communist officials to refurnish apartments and dachas and then it was left to rot  or the materials taken but this is just a hunch.  But perhaps someone at the St Petersburg naval museum has records of it.

Offline Dominic_Albanese

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 09:07:51 PM »
I must say that I miss Atlantis.  I have the whole series and still go back and read them on occasions.  I understand there was an incredible amount of work (especially for two people) to coordinate, write and manage a magazine of that size and that depth - but can't help wishing it had continued to be printed. 

dca

Offline Annette

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 08:42:28 AM »
In my opinion Atlantis was the best ever royalty "magazine" (the word doesn't do it justice), and I mean no disrespect to the other magazines by saying that.  Penny and Greg have much to be proud of.  I constantly refer back to my copies and can still remember the excitement when a new publication arrived!

Offline newfan

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
Love to get some issues of this magazine , if anybody knows where to get them plz PM me
Thank you