Author Topic: Peter the Great and William III  (Read 12594 times)

palatine

Peter the Great and William III
« on: February 15, 2006, 03:18:17 PM »
Peter visited England for a few months in 1698 at the invitation of William III.  Since he was officially incognito, he did not stay at any of the royal palaces, but rented rooms in London.  Peter paid a call on William and also had a meeting with Princess Anne.  Anne made an excellent impression on him.  Although she was a firm Anglican, Peter wrote home that she was a “true daughter of our church.”  He spent his time sightseeing, visiting the Mint, the Royal Society, and the Observatory before moving to Deptford to study shipbuilding.  William arranged for Peter and his staff to live in the home of John Evelyn while they were there.

Peter spent his time working in the shipyards as well as recruiting shipbuilders to come to work for him in Russia.  Peter and his staff drank and partied when he wasn't working.  They discovered a wheelbarrow in Evelyn’s garden; it was a fascinating new toy in their eyes.  They played a game where one person rode in the wheelbarrow while it was pushed at high speed, ideally crashing into or through one of Evelyn’s beautifully kept hedges.  

After Peter returned to London, Evelyn inspected his house.  He discovered that most of the furniture, doors, and picture frames were missing, evidently having been smashed up and used for firewood.  The tapestries and carpets were fouled due to the blissful ignorance of Peter and his attendants about remedial potty-training.  Last but not least, Evelyn’s beloved garden was a wreck.  William reimbursed Evelyn for the costs of having his home cleaned and repaired.

When it came time for him to leave, legend says that Peter presented William with a large uncut diamond wrapped in a piece of dirty paper.  

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
Re: Peter the Great and William III
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:54:45 AM »
Peter was in England from 11 January to 21 April 1698. He was accompanied by his close friend Alexander Menshikov. William seems to have hit it off with them, though there were obviously political reasons for the favour shown to the Tsar. William gave him a ship on which he sailed back to Europe.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Vasaborg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 03:15:51 PM »
In his biography the late actor Oliver Reed claims to be descended from a child Peter the Great had by a woman while in England.

Offline Modena1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
Peter visited England for a few months in 1698 at the invitation of William III.  Since he was officially incognito, he did not stay at any of the royal palaces, but rented rooms in London.  Peter paid a call on William and also had a meeting with Princess Anne.  Anne made an excellent impression on him.  Although she was a firm Anglican, Peter wrote home that she was a “true daughter of our church.”  He spent his time sightseeing, visiting the Mint, the Royal Society, and the Observatory before moving to Deptford to study shipbuilding.  William arranged for Peter and his staff to live in the home of John Evelyn while they were there.

Peter spent his time working in the shipyards as well as recruiting shipbuilders to come to work for him in Russia.  Peter and his staff drank and partied when he wasn't working.  They discovered a wheelbarrow in Evelyn’s garden; it was a fascinating new toy in their eyes.  They played a game where one person rode in the wheelbarrow while it was pushed at high speed, ideally crashing into or through one of Evelyn’s beautifully kept hedges.  

Anne would have "hated" the fact that Peter the Great went to France 20 years later and went to see Madame de Maintenon and Queen Mary of Modena.
After Peter returned to London, Evelyn inspected his house.  He discovered that most of the furniture, doors, and picture frames were missing, evidently having been smashed up and used for firewood.  The tapestries and carpets were fouled due to the blissful ignorance of Peter and his attendants about remedial potty-training.  Last but not least, Evelyn’s beloved garden was a wreck.  William reimbursed Evelyn for the costs of having his home cleaned and repaired.

When it came time for him to leave, legend says that Peter presented William with a large uncut diamond wrapped in a piece of dirty paper.  

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 07:01:08 PM »
[

Anne would have "hated" the fact that Peter the Great went to France 20 years later and went to see Madame de Maintenon and Queen Mary of Modena.

Although this was not the main purpose of Peter's visit to France, I don't see why Anne would have "hated" the respect paid to her brother and step mother( in 1717). She had every intention of making James her heir, and it was only the circumstances of her early death which made this impossible.

Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Modena1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 08:26:07 PM »
[

Although this was not the main purpose of Peter's visit to France, I don't see why Anne would have "hated" the respect paid to her brother and step mother( in 1717). She had every intention of making James her heir, and it was only the circumstances of her early death which made this impossible.

Anne was dead by this time and her actions towards her family showed that she didn't have much love or respect for them. Anne was a vengeful type easily manipulated by others. Anne looked out for Anne.

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 03:33:19 PM »
I read an excellent book called "Ungrateful Daughters" by Maureen Waller which described the lives of Anne and her sister Mary.  In the book, Anne came across as a rather spiteful and two faced individual.  If I remember rightly, she was one of the first to jump on the rumour that her stepmother Mary of Modena (who had always been very kind to her) had tried to pass an imposter baby off as her newborn son James.

I don't remember anything about Anne intending to make James her heir but it is a while since I read the book.  I guess that even if she had wanted to do so, the government would never have allowed it. 

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:24:47 PM »

I read somewhere that Anne tried to make James her heir once she became aware that she would be unable to bear a healthy child herself... I imagine that would be a few years after the Duke of Gloucester died in 1700. I think she did it because she hated George of Hanover (for some reason unknown to me... maybe because he had rejected her as a bride years before?) and because she probably felt that what belonged to the Stuarts should remain in Stuart hands. I don't think she ever thought James Edward wasn't her half-brother... she was just selfish and betrayed her father because having her sister at the throne would bring more benefits for her. Furthermore, she second in line to the throne until James's birth, and Mary had been married for 11 years and still didn't have any progeny. So, Anne supported Mary to be nearer to the throne, but once she saw she herself would die without issue, she would probably prefer her half-brother on the throne rather than a hated second cousin. The reason why her intentions didn't come to a good end is unknown to me.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 05:57:21 PM »
Umigon is right. Anne's dearest wish in her last months was to make her brother her heir. It didn't work out because Louis XIV was still alive so that James seemed to be the French king's puppet. If Anne had lived a year longer (when James was no longer in favour at the French court), it would have been no problem. Unfortunately Anne was very obese and had a heart problem. The stress of arguing about the succession sent her to an early grave on August 1 1714.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:50 PM »
Peter was in England from 11 January to 21 April 1698. He was accompanied by his close friend Alexander Menshikov. William seems to have hit it off with them, though there were obviously political reasons for the favour shown to the Tsar. William gave him a ship on which he sailed back to Europe.

William hit it off with Peter?No way.William kept Peter and his entourage at arms length,friendly yes,but at a distance,as the whole lot smelled,spit on the floors,did whatever nature demanded them to do wherever they were standing at the time,and the stench was unbearable to William et all,both in the UK and at Het Loo Palace in The Netherlands Peter and his gang were not given quarters at the Palaces because of this.Besides that they pinched anything and everything they could lay there hands on,from silver to bedpans,which they probably used for cooking.
Je Maintiendrai

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:28:24 AM »
 "Hit it off" was maybe an exaggeration then.  :)

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 07:53:16 AM »
Yikes!!!

Cooking in a bedpan leaves me with an unfortunate and disagreeable image....  I may never eat again!!!

I believe Anne would not have been successful in arranging for her brother, James, to succeed her - - Parliament would have vetoed that.  Wasn't "The Act of Succession" in place by then?

Larry

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
Yes, I'm sure it was.  I know the Act of Union was passed in 1707, uniting the thrones of England and Scotland.  I think that Parliament was worried that when Anne died the Scots might refuse to be ruled by a German Hanoverian and instead invite the Old Pretender to become King of Scotland - something the Act was intended to prevent.