Author Topic: Charles I and family  (Read 47968 times)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Charles I and family
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2005, 02:19:58 PM »
Well, pics are hard to come by, but regarding Elizabeth's personality - we know she was a solemn, studious girl, very devoted to the Anglican religion, and devoted to her brother Henry, who adored her. She was very much in awe of her father . . .  I don't know what her relations with her mother were like. I think she was a clever, sweet girl who might have grown up to be a very useful member of the Stuart Royal Family.

She showed great bravery, especially when she and Henry were marooned in England after Charles I's execution . . . she wrote repeatedly to Cromwell and his friends, begging for more money, clothes, and above all to allowed to go to Holland to live with their sister Mary.

Very sadly, Cromwell had finally decided to allow Elizabeth to go to the Hague when she died.   :-/
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2005, 04:11:16 PM »
Yes, sad, but appropriate given how religious she was. Henry was re-united with his family, but not for another few more lonely years.

Thanksfully, Elizabeth was always treated respectfullt by her keepers - even after Cromwell ordered that they be treated like ordinary children, Elizabeth was still addressed as 'Princess' or 'My Lady' whereas Henry was known as 'Mr Harry'.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

palatine

« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2005, 05:39:13 PM »
An excellent source of information about the Stuarts is the "Queens of England" series by Agnes Strickland.  These are old books, but affordable reading copies are available around the internet.   I am uncertain which volumes in the series deal with the Stuarts.  Strickland included biographies of Henrietta Maria, Catherine of Braganza, Mary of Modena, Queen Mary, and Queen Anne in the series.

A great site about the Jacobite claimants to the English and Scottish thrones that includes a lot of documents, including some of James II's Declarations:

http://www.jacobite.ca/

Hope this helps....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by palatine »

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
Thanks palatine.  :) BTW - some trivia. The current Jacobite claimant to the throne of Great Britain is Duke Franz of Bavaria, styled by adherents to the Jacobite cause as 'Fracis II, King of Great Britain, Ireland and France'. His niece and heiress, who will inherit the claim upon his death, is Duchess Sophie in Bavaria, married to Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechstenstein.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »
I only just found out another tidbit of info - all of Charles I's children could count Ferdinand and Isabella, the Catholic Kings, among their ancestors through Henrietta Maria's mother Marie de Medici. The more you know . . .
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2005, 07:41:15 AM »
i am also doing a project right now on royal genealogy. and i was quite amazed to find how many people were actually related to the royal family, either through ancestors or descendants...

for example, we talked in the tudor section about edward 2nd of england. his wife's lover, roger mortimer, is an ancestor of the royal family through his descendant anne mortimer who was the mother of richard, duke of york (father of edward 4th).  i find that very fascinating.
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2005, 07:43:25 AM »
Yes, it is, Ilyala! Feel free to start a thread here, or check 'Tracing the Plantagenets' on the Tudor board!  :D
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2005, 07:48:11 AM »
for example, we talked in the tudor section about edward 2nd of england. his wife's lover, roger mortimer, is an ancestor of the royal family through his descendant anne mortimer who was the mother of richard, duke of york (father of edward 4th).  i find that very fascinating.

And wasn't Edward's favourite and supposed lover, Hugh le Despencer, the ancestor of Diana, Princess of Wales?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2005, 07:50:00 AM »
i have starting using Family Tree Maker, initially to make a genealogy of the english royal family but soon discovered that that included just about every royal family in europe. which means i am now building the genealogy of european royalty :)

i have discovered a few interesting things (like this one...)...  like for example, not all henry 7th's claim was illegitimate. his grandmother was margaret holland who was, through her great grandfather, edmund of kent, a descendant of king edward 1st. a shaky claim, but legiitmate nevertheless :).

also, owen tudor is supposedly a descendant of edward 1st's oldest daughter, whose daughter married a welsh prince...

so many relations... very hard to figure them all out
ilya

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2005, 07:55:07 AM »
I don't know about that, but I can tell you that le Despenser was married to Eleanor, daughter of the Earl of Gloucester and Joan Plantagenet, daughter of Edward I. Also, Edward II's other lover, Piers Gaveston, was married to Eleanor's sister Margaret!   :o We really should take this to Tracing the Plantagenets!
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2005, 07:56:18 AM »
*goes to the tudor section*
ilya

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2005, 01:00:08 AM »
Could anyone post a picture of Henriette Anne, Minette, Madame?   I know there's a painting of her SOMEWHERE but my searchings prove fruitless.
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2005, 01:13:01 AM »
Hi LenelorMiksi!

there's a thread about Philippe of Orléans and his wives on the French forum - with a few pictures of Minette!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Modena

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2005, 09:27:31 AM »

Yes,it was a tragic family... This were James's children by Mary Beatrix:

1. Stillborn son 1674.
2. Katherine Laura 1675-1675.
3.Isabella 1676-1681.
4.Charles 1677-1677.
5. Elizabeth Laura 1678-1678.
6. Stillborn dughter 1681.
7. Charlotte Maria 1682-1682.
8. Stillborn son 1683.
9. Stillborn son 1684.
10. James Francis Edward 1688-1766.
12. Louise Marie Thérèse 1692-1712.
13. Stillborn daughter 1695.

There was a 13th pregnancy?  :o
I thought little Louisa was the last baby.  :)

Where did you get this information? I knew about the first 12, but never heard of the 13th. Very interesting!

Also, I heard about another pregnancy that ended in miscarriage in 1686, but only from one source.  :'(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Modena »

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »

There was a 13th pregnancy?  :o
I thought little Louisa was the last baby.  :)

Where did you get this information? I knew about the first 12, but never heard of the 13th. Very interesting!

Also, I heard about another pregnancy that ended in miscarriage in 1686, but only from one source.  :'(

I don't know in what exact book I read it, but it was about French queens. It said that Liselotte had gone with some other women of the French Court to see the Queen of England, who had just lost a baby girl at birth (first days of January 1695).

About the 1686 miscarriage, I already heard about it. A son, wasn't it?
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan