Author Topic: Charles I and family  (Read 48959 times)

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
Re: Charles I and family
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2005, 05:34:16 AM »
Have we got any portrait of teenager Louise Marie Stuart?
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2005, 07:15:56 AM »
The only pic I've ever seen of Louise Marie is the one I posted of her and her brother on the (I think) Queen consorts thread.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2005, 07:27:51 AM »
I've seen one of her aged about 18. I think it was in a Mary Beatrice bio.
This isn't the one I'm thinking of but:
http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs/louisastuart1692.jpg
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by bell_the_cat »
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2005, 07:35:15 AM »
Oooh, I'd love if someone could find it!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2005, 07:40:57 AM »
Yes, I found that one too Bell. She was a pretty girl.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2005, 08:58:38 AM »
Oh thanks! She was very pretty, much more Este than Stuart!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2005, 09:08:38 AM »
Yes, she greatly resembles Mary Beatrice, but I think she has something of the Stuarts in her rosey cheeks . . . If she had survived . . . perhaps she would have  married a French prince?
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2005, 09:20:49 AM »
I don't think her marriage prospects were very good. She was 20 when she died - she may have already missed the boat. She was as they say in France "sans dot" i.e. she had no dowry!

Mary Beatrice may have been calculating that her son would soon become King of Great Britain, and that it would be better to wait a couple of years and then find a good husband for her daughter after the Restoration. Between 1710 and 1714, everyone in Versailles expected Anne to nominate her brother as her successor. Alas it was not to be!
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2005, 09:23:55 AM »
Well, Louis XIV did declare the Old Pretender James III of England and VIII of Scotland . . . perhaps he would have married Louise Marie off to a minor French prince or something. Perhaps he even would have provided a dowry?

Either way, it's equally likely that Louise Marie would have entered a convent if she had survived.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2005, 09:36:56 AM »
Didn't Anne tried to wipe off the story of the warming pan and name James Edward as her heir in her last days because she disliked her Hanover cousins? I think I read that somewhere!

About Louise, she would have probably married a French noble, from the Houses of Conti or Condé, very possibly...

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2005, 09:48:45 AM »
Anne was more and more determined that her brother should succeed. She had always felt guilty about her role in deserting her father. She was supported in this by Lady Masham and Viscount Bolingbroke who was involved in secret negociations at the Court of St Germain (of Catherine de' Medici  fame!).

Unfortunately her ministers were aware that the country would not accept a creature of Louis XIV on the throne so soon after the war had ended. It would also entail changing the Act of Succession.

Anne had an emergency council meeting to debate this matter on July 31 1714. The exchange was so heated, that Anne had a seizure and expired the following day!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2005, 09:51:47 AM »
Gosh! A little post-death revenge for the Electress Sophia, who was said to be so upset by a peremptory letter from Anne that she died!

IMO, the Old Pretender wouldn't have made a good king - he was a dour, uninspiring figure. And if he had listened to James II, then he would have beleived in the Divine Right of Kings . . .
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:04 AM »
Didn't Anne tried to wipe off the story of the warming pan and name James Edward as her heir in her last days because she disliked her Hanover cousins? I think I read that somewhere!

About Louise, she would have probably married a French noble, from the Houses of Conti or Condé, very possibly...

It is generally believed that Anne disliked George of Hanover because he had rejected an offer to marry her in the 1680s. This seems unlikey though, since though Anne never forgot a slight, it seems unlikely she felt slighted here, especially given how happy her subsequent marriage became.
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2005, 09:53:17 AM »
Well, Louis XIV did declare the Old Pretender James III of England and VIII of Scotland . . . perhaps he would have married Louise Marie off to a minor French prince or something. Perhaps he even would have provided a dowry?

Either way, it's equally likely that Louise Marie would have entered a convent if she had survived.

Louis might have provided a small dowry out of personal regard for James and Mary Beatrice, but by the end of the War he was pretty broke. After the death of Louis the chance of getting money from the regent was zero. the Young Pretender had to search around in the bargain basement before he found Clementina Sobieski.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2005, 09:55:44 AM »
Apparently Louis had a great regard for Mary Beatrice . . . anyone know any more about this?
-Sherlock Holmes