Author Topic: Duke Philippe d'Orléans (brother of Louis XIV), and his family  (Read 58504 times)

palatine

Re: Duke Philippe d'Orléans (brother of Louis XIV), and his family
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »

Don't think this is Liselotte - maybe her daughter in law, the Duchess of Orléans?

It's a portrait of Liselotte's daughter Elisabeth Charlotte, Duchess of Lorraine.

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2006, 09:18:53 AM »
That makes sense to me - there is a sort of facial resemblance to her mother!  8)
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2006, 09:54:58 AM »
It´s strange with this picture, because sometimes I saw it identificated as Liselotte and sometimes as her daughter, but in the most cases it was her daughter, who was the mother of Franz Stephan of Lothringen, husband of empress Maria Theresia ;)
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »
I´m sure she´s Elisabeth Charlotte ;) By the way, another portrait of Liselotte´s daughter with her little son Franz Stephan:

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2006, 02:21:52 AM »
That´s a wonderful picture, and it´s very similar to the first. Where can it be found? Do you have it (or the link for it) in a bigger size?

Thanks ;)

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2006, 04:11:51 AM »
It's also quite sad, because Elisabeth Charlotte Jr. lost many of her children in infancy - Franz Stefan being one of the few survivors.
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2006, 06:00:51 AM »
That´s a wonderful picture, and it´s very similar to the first. Where can it be found? Do you have it (or the link for it) in a bigger size?

Thanks ;)

So sorry, britt, but I don´t know where I found this picture. I´m always searching through the websites and I collect images, but it´s not easy to remember where I found this or that... I just have two images of Elisabeth Charlotte with her son, the one that I posted and another that I will post right now.

PD: By the way, I hope you had a merry christmas and I wish you a new year fullfilled with happy moments ;)

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2006, 11:30:47 AM »
Thanks very much for the greeting ;)

I wish you the same :D

This picture is very nice, too. I never saw pictures with Elisabeth Charlotte and her children or her son Franz Stephan. He looks very much Bourbon on this picture, it´s fascinating. But it´s tragic, if once consider that his daughter Marie Antoinette, who wasn´t very famous in France also because of her austrian roots had so much Bourbon blood herself and descended from many Bourbon kings, and from the brother of Ludwig XIV.
It would really be interesting to have the pictures in a bigger size, I will try to find them. If you remember any source please post it. This portrait of young Franz Stephan also reminds me of the young Philippe V., the first Bourbon king of Spain, and grandson of Ludwig, the sun king. Interesting ;) Since I had an interesting lesson about that topic at the university  some years ago (about the spanish war after the death of Karl II. ) I am very interesting in that figures.

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2008, 11:28:23 AM »
Actually in her letters Liselotte states many times that she knows that her letters are being read. Some of them even have a preface to the French government saying something along the lines of [PLEASE NOTE: following is not an exact quote] "please read this letter quickly and then send it along to final destination."  She also says how when the government was run by a different man her letters were read and re-sealed quickly but the new postmaster took too long to read them and then send them along to Germany. In some of her letters she even says something like [PLEASE NOTE: following is not an exact quote] "if you are reading this king's old whore...)

-Duke of NJ

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2008, 02:05:49 PM »
At the very beginning of this topic someone wrote that Philippe's first wife Henriette Anne had 8 and his second wife Elisabeth Charlotte had 3 three children. Could you please give me there names and dates? I had a look at Theroff's sites and he only listed the following:

Henriette Anne:

1b) Marie Louise (Palais Royal 27 Mar 1662-Madrid 12 Feb 1689); m.by proxy at Fontainebleau 31 Aug 1679 and in person at Quintanapalla 18 Nov 1679 King Carlos II of Spain (Madrid 6 Nov 1661-Madrid 1 Nov 1700)

2b) Philippe Charles Duc de Valois (Fontainebleau 16 Jul 1664-Palais Royal 8 Dec 1666)

3b) Anne Marie (St.Cloud 27 Aug 1669-Turin 26 Aug 1728); m.by proxy at Palais Royal 10 Apr 1684 and in person at Chambéry 6 May 1684 Vittorio Amedeo II, King of Sardinia, Duke of Savoy (Turin 14 May 1666-Moncalieri 31 Oct 1732)

Elisabeth Charlotte:

4b) Alexandre Louis Duc de Valois (St.Cloud 2 Jun 1673-Palais Royal 16 Mar 1676)

5b) Philippe Duc d'Orléans, Regent of France 1715-1723 (St.Cloud 2 Aug 1674-Versailles 2 Dec 1723); m.Versailles 18 Feb 1692 Françoise Marie de Bourbon, called Mlle de Blois, legitimated daughter of King Louis XIV (Château de Maintenon 4 May 1677-Paris 1 Feb 1749)

6b) Élisabeth Charlotte (St.Cloud 13 Sep 1676-Commercy 23 Dec 1744); m.Fontainebleau 23 Oct 1698 Leopold Joseph Charles Duke of Lorraine (Innsbruck 11 Sep 1679-Lunéville 27 Mar 1729)
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2008, 05:48:09 PM »

I am not at home right now, so I don't have my information, but Minette had several stillbirths and miscarriages: a total of 5.

Whenever I'm home I'll post the info here!
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2008, 10:32:56 PM »
This is what I found for Henrietta Anne:

A daughter born July 9, 1665 ; died after.
Not unusually for the era, Henriette had four miscarriages 1663, 1666, 1667, 1668.[5]

(5)  Royal Genealogy, Information on Stuart, Henrietta Anne

Offline HSH The Duchess of Bourbon

• Boyar
  • HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2009, 10:53:57 AM »
Anne Marie d'Orléans (Saint-Cloud, 27 August, 1669 – Turin, 26 August 1728) was the Queen consort of Sardinia and the maternal grandmother of Louis XV of France. She was the first Queen Consort of Sardinia under the House of Savoy.

Does Anyone Know Anything Interesting About Her?! She Seems Rather Ignored If You Ask Me LOL

HSH The Duchess of Bourbon, Princess of the blood

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:04 PM »
I have three images of Anne Marie d'Orleans:

and

Her Wikipedia article:
"Anne Marie d'Orléans, Queen of Sardinia (Saint-Cloud, 27 August, 1669 – Turin, 26 August 1728) was the Queen consort of Sardinia and the maternal grandmother of Louis XV of France. She was the first Queen Consort of Sardinia under the House of Savoy.

Her descendants include the present members of the royal Houses of Savoy, Parma and Spain.

Biography

Anne Marie d'Orléans was born in the Château de Saint-Cloud. Her parents were Philippe de France, duc d'Orléans and Princess Henrietta Anne of England. Her paternal grandparents were Louis XIII of France and Anne of Austria. Her maternal grandparents were Charles I of England and Henriette Marie de France. Her elder surviving sister was Marie Louise d'Orléans, who became the Queen of Spain when Anne Marie was ten years old. Their mother died at the Château de Saint-Cloud ten months after Anne Marie's birth. Her mother had collapsed at Saint-Cloud and died at the age of 26;

At the time of her death, it was widely believed that Henrietta-Anne had been poisoned by friends of her husband’s jealous lover and exiled favourite, the Chevalier de Lorraine. An autopsy was performed, however, and it was reported that Henrietta-Anne had died of peritonitis caused by a perforated ulcer.

Despite these allegations, a year later, her father married Elizabeth Charlotte of the Palatinate who became very close to her stepdaughters. The plain looking German women was 21 at the time of the marriage. Like Anne Marie's mother, Elizabeth Charlotte would be known as Madame. Three children were born from that marriage.

* Alexandre Louis d'Orléans, Duke of Valois (2 June 1673 – 16 March 1676);
    * Philippe Charles d'Orléans (2 August 1674 – 2 December 1723);
    * Élisabeth Charlotte d'Orléans (13 September 1676 – 24 December 1744).

After her sister Marie Louise were married, Anne Marie was addressed to as Mademoiselle. This denoted her status as the most important unmarried lady at Court. Anne Marie was also known as Madame Royale and Mademoiselle de Valois. (Continued in another posting.)

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2009, 12:53:44 PM »
Finishing her Wikipedia article - "Marriage

On 10 April 1684, Anne Marie was married at Versailles, by proxy, to Víctor Amadeus II, Duke of Savoy and future king of Sicily (1713) and Sardinia (1720), and the only son of Charles Emmanuel II, Duke of Savoy and his second wife, Marie Jeanne of Savoy-Nemours. The newlyweds met at Chambéry on 6 May of the same year to have another marriage ceremony in Turin, capital of the Duchy of Savoy. Her father accompnanied his daughter as far as Juvisy-sur-Orge not far from Paris.

Known as Anna Maria in Savoy, the arranged marriage was not very happy. They had eight children, two of them stillborn.

At the age of ten, Anne Marie's eldest child, Marie-Adélaïde, was betrothed to the son of her cousin Louis, Dauphin of France; the eldest son of Louis was the Duke of Burgundy. This match was decided as part of the Treaty of Turin, which ended Franco-Savoyard conflicts during the Nine Years' War, and Marie-Adélaïde was sent to Versailles in order to learn her role as the future Dauphine and eventual Queen. By 1711 Marie-Adélaïde was the Dauphine of France but she died in 1712 of smallpox.

In June 1701 her father died at Saint-Cloud; her half brother and his wife Françoise-Marie de Bourbon thus became the new Duke and Duchess of Orléans. In the same year on 2 November, Maria Luisa, (Anne Marie's third daughter) then barely thirteen years old, married, the French born prince Philip, duc d'Anjou who had just become Philip V of Spain. The young princess would become Regent of Spain while her husband was away campaigning in Italy; she was a favourite with the Spanish court and would make Anne Marie the maternal grandmother of the Louis I of Spain and Ferdinand VI of Spain.

In 1706, Anne Marie's uncle, Louis XIV of France (along with Spanish forces from Anne Marie's second cousin Philip V of Spain) besieged Turin during the Battle of Turin. French troops were under the control of Anne Marie's half brother, the Duke of Orléans. She and her sons, Victor Amadeus and Carlo Emanuele, were forced to flee Turin. The Savoyard consort had the use of the Royal Palace of Turin and the vast Palazzina di caccia di Stupinigi outside the capital.

As a result of his aid in the War of the Spanish Succession Victor Amadeus II was made King of Sicily in 1713 under the Treaty of Utrecht which ended the war. When her step mother Madame heard of the news back in France, she wrote:  ' I shall neither gain nor lose by the peace, but one thing i shall enjoy is to see our Duchess of Savoy become a queen, because I love her as though she were my own child...'

Victor Amadeus was forced to exchange Sicily for the less important kingdom of Sardinia in 1720 after objections from an alliance of four nations, including several of his former allies. The kingdom of Sicily went to Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor - father of Maria Theresa of Austria. Due to this rise of rank, Anne Marie and her husband became entitled to the style of Your Majesty.

A favourite haunt for the consort was the Vigno di Madama.[5] This had been used by a previous French consort, Anne Marie's great-aunt Princess Christine Marie of France (1606-1663), and later on, her daughter, Maria Adélaïde recreated this little hideaway by having the Ménagerie at Versailles remodeled

Anne Marie died at the Royal Palace of Turin on 26 August 1728. Her husband, Víctor Amadeus II, abdicated in favour of his son in 1730, and died two years later in Moncalieri. She was buried at the Basilica of Superga in Turin; all her children except Marie-Adélaïde and Maria Luisa can be found there.

Her husband outlived her till his 66'th year dying in 1732 having married morganatically.

Jacobite succession

From 1714 to 1720, Anne Marie was the heiress presumptive to the Jacobite claim to the thrones of England, Scotland, and Ireland, which was held at the time by James Francis Edward Stuart, styling himself 'James III and VIII.' She became his heir on 1 August 1714, upon the death of his elder sister Anne, and was displaced as his heir by the birth of the Old Pretender's son, Charles Edward Stuart, on 31 December 1720.

Through Anne Marie descend the current post-Stuart legitimist claims of the Jacobites to the English and Scottish thrones.

In 1807, almost eighty years after her death, Cardinal Henry Benedict Stuart died. He was the last of the descendants of her uncle, King James II of England. The Jacobites viewed the legitimate succession to the English and Scottish thrones as devolving upon the senior living descendant of King Charles I. In 1807, the Jacobite pretender became Charles Emmanuel IV of Sardinia, the great-grandson of Anne Marie d'Orléans and Victor Amadeus II of Sardinia.

Issue

* Princess Maria Adelaide of Savoy (1685-1712); married Louis, Duke of Burgundy and was the mother of Louis XV of France;
    * Princess Maria Ana of Savoy (1687-1690);
    * Princess Maria Luisa Gabriella of Savoy (1688-1714); first wife of Philip V of Spain;
    * Princess X of Savoy (stillborn child, 1691);
    * X of Savoy (stillborn child, 1697);
    * Prince Victor Amadeus John Philip of Savoy (1699-1715), Prince of Piedmont;
    * Prince Carlo Emanuele of Savoy (1701-1773); the next Duke of Savoy and King of Sardinia.
    * Prince Emanuele Philibert of Savoy (1705-1705) Duke of Chablais."