The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 31, 2014, 04:32:19 PM
462259 Posts in 8977 Topics by 14524 Members
Latest Member: venus48220
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  French Royals (Moderators: grandduchessella, Prince_Lieven, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Emperor Napoleon III and his family
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Emperor Napoleon III and his family  (Read 67562 times)
Reply #120
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:38:47 PM »
Princess Susan Offline
Graf

View Profile

With parents...

Reply #121
« on: December 25, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »
jgutmaker Offline

View Profile

It's great to see these photos/portraits and to find out more about the Prince Imperial.  Smiley

Would anyone be able to recommend a good book where I could learn more about his life?

Eugenie's memoirs were published, and there's a memoir of her life in exile by Agnes Carey

I have not read the following, but there's a book called Captain Carey's Blunder and another one called With His Face to the Foe by Eurec Agency. They're on my to-read list.
Reply #122
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
Bourgogne Offline
Boyar

View Profile

I was looking for Photos of Prince Imperial , son of Napoleon III. His tragic death in the Zulu war (being speared to death and mutilated) brought a tear to my eye. He died like a true hero. May his soul rest in peace!

Yes, he really was the type of the ideal french prince. His tragic death always makes me very sad too... And for his poor mother it was awfull. She said "I'm dead since 1879"...

Louis-Napoléon in 1863, in Compiègne. He's wearing the french hunting suit (the difference with the english hunting suit is in the hat ; the french hat is the three-cornered hat, the english is the riding hat, but today everybody even in France wears the riding hat for hunting).

Louis-Napoléon ca. 1875

Reply #123
« on: January 01, 2009, 01:01:35 PM »
Bourgogne Offline
Boyar

View Profile

He was such a cute boy!
What outfit is he wearing?

Here, it's the uniform of the Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard ("petite tenue")...
Reply #124
« on: January 05, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
britt.25 Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Is there any good book on him in English or German to recommend?
I would be interested, but the most I saw were in french, which I unfortuntely do not speak....Thanks!!!

La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)
Reply #125
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »
Princess Susan Offline
Graf

View Profile

Yes, that would be indeed nice to find any book about him in English.
Reply #126
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
Royal Bulgaria Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Hm.. can you give me some little part of his biography?

Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.
Reply #127
« on: January 05, 2009, 04:07:02 PM »
rgt9w Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 456

View Profile

There is an english language book titled: "With his Face to the Foe: The Life and Death of the Louis Napolean, the Prince Imperial, Zululand 1879" by Ian Knight. Ian Knight is a famous Zulu War historian, so much of the focus of the book is about how the Prince Imperial ended up in South Africa with the British miliary and the circumstances of his death.
Reply #128
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:01:13 AM »
Mari Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Ebay and Alibris both have this book for under $20 right now!
Reply #129
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:32:25 AM »
Royal Bulgaria Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I see thank you!

Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.
Reply #130
« on: January 06, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
rgt9w Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 456

View Profile

I took out my copy of "With his Face to the Foe" today. Here is the description from the jacket cover:

On the afternoon of 1 June 1879, in a muddy gully in the heart of Zululand, the ambition of France's Bonaparte dynasty came to a tragic end.  A patrol of British troops, in the vanguard of an invading column, was ambushed by the Zulu, and fled, leaving three men dead on the field.  Among them was Prince Louis Napoleon, the exiled heir to the Imperial throne in France, the last of the Bonapartes.

What curious combination of circumstances had brought the Prince Imperial to southern Africa wearing the uniform of --of all things-- a British officer?  His was a romantic and melancholy story.  Chased out of France after the debacle of the Franco-Prussian War, the Emperor Napoleon III had sought refuge with his family in England, where they were befriended by Queen Victoria.  Napoleon's son, Louis, had grown to manhood in exile, succeeding on his father's death to the title of Napoleon IV, and awaiting a call to reclaim his throne, which might never have come.  Raised in the shadow of the reputation of the great Napoleon, he hungered for military glory, and by special dispensation was allowed to train as a British officer.

As a foreign Prince, however, and a Bonaparte, there was never any hope that he might serve in the British army, but when the Ango-Zulu War broke out in 1879 he was allowed to go to Africa as an observer, attached to General Lord Chelmsford's staff. The war seemed to offer him the perfect chance for military experience without European political repercussions, and with an minimum danger.  This was not to be.
Reply #131
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:52:33 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

wasn't there talk of him marrying Queen Victoria's daughter, Beatrice?

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #132
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Princess Susan Offline
Graf

View Profile

Eugene in 1864
Reply #133
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:15:57 PM »
PrinceEddy1864 Offline
Knyaz
lovely louise. Posts: 892

View Profile WWW

Since his thread kinda got bumped back up..
Some of my faves

from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.
Reply #134
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »
PrinceEddy1864 Offline
Knyaz
lovely louise. Posts: 892

View Profile WWW

wasn't there talk of him marrying Queen Victoria's daughter, Beatrice?

Yes, their mothers were very close and it seemed a likely match following NIII's death. They were well suited to one another in personality, both shy and gentle, etc.. As marriage between the two would have made it quite difficult if the Prince was ever to return to the French throne, it was not openly discussed.

Then of course he was killed, putting the issue to rest.

from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: