The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 31, 2014, 08:34:54 AM
462252 Posts in 8977 Topics by 14524 Members
Latest Member: venus48220
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Hesse-Darmstadts (Hesse and by Rhine) (Moderators: BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Hesse
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author
Locked Topic Topic: Victoria Melita, Grand Duchess of Hesse  (Read 93853 times)
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:42:57 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz
Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D Posts: 13173

View Profile WWW

In between the time that VM & GD Kyril married and the Tsar reinstated Kyril's rights and rank & sanctioned the marriage, what was she known as? She couldn't technically be called "GDss Kyril" as she was later known--does anyone know what it was in those few years?

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/
Reply #1
« on: June 17, 2004, 11:56:56 PM »
nerdycool Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I don't know for sure... I'm just making an educated guess...

I have two guesses actually, 1. she would still be referred to as "grand duchess" from a hold over from her marriage with Ernie, or 2. she would revert back to "princess"... the title she held before her marriage to Ernie.
Reply #2
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:39:22 PM »
TampaBay Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job. Posts: 4223

View Profile

Why did Ducky marry Ernie?  What were Ducky's thoughts and comments?

Does anyone have any documentaion from her letters/corespondence or "reliable" hearsay?

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by TampaBay » Logged

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.
Reply #3
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:03:27 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I know QV was directly involved. She thought they would be well-matched as they were both interested in the arts and music and entertaining. She thought their personalities would balance and compliment each other--wrong! Both seemed amenable to the situation--I don't think that Ducky formed her tendre to Kyril until 1896 (2 years after her marriage). At first it seemed that the flurry of entertainments they put on in Darmstadt showed how well they got along but it looked via hindsight that the frenetic activity was just a 'band-aid' to cover their differences.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by grandduchessella » Logged

Reply #4
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:39:38 PM »
TampaBay Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job. Posts: 4223

View Profile

Gd Ella!!

Thanks!!!

I have read the Ernie and Ducky were Known as the Party Givers of Europe.  Of course, they both ascended to the Dukedom of Hesse before the age of 23.  

Correct (on the ages of ascent)?

TampaBay

"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.
Reply #5
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:41:32 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

There are letters from QV to Ernie's sister Victoria that detail some of the beginning of the relationship.

Back in 1891 she was already formulating plans noting how funny they were together. By 1892 when the GD Louis died she kicked it up a notch writing to VMH in May that when 'Sir Wm. Jenner [QV's physician] was here I spoke to him abt the possibility of Ernie's marrying on of the Edinburgh Cousins, & he said there was no danger & no objection as they are so strong & healthy & Aunt Marie also. He said if the relations were strong intermarriage with them only led to gter strength & health. I have written this to Ernie himself & I hope you will also tell him...' [QV was worried at this point about hemophilia being passed on and Irene & Henry's son was a hemophiliac. She had also previously ruled out Maud Wales for Ernie because she felt worried about health reasons.] Matters didn't progress very far and in Sept 1893 she wrote that 'I had it out with Aunt Marie having written kindly but strongly to her. She is most anxious abt Ernie & Ducky & I have written _twice+ to Ernie abt the _necessity_ of his showing some attention & interest. Pray tell him it & say he _must answer_ me--Aunt Marie fears _he_ no longer wishes it, wh. I am sure is not the case.'

Reply #6
« on: March 24, 2005, 07:58:50 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

In the Mountbattens:

Later in that same year [1891] chance brought...Ducky and Ernie close together. They laughed at the same jokes, rushed about together in a private, carefree world of their own. They both came to stay at Balmoral in October and the Queen was enchanted at the colour and liveliness they created wherever they went. Here, she thought, was a marriage made in heaven and she encouraged the couple to be together as much as possible. 'Ernie looks very well & is in high spirits' the Queen told Victoria [Battenberg] and added that the two of them 'are very funny together.' Victoria [Battenberg] was not the only one to worry about this affair. They were too much of a likeness, this pair, for her taste. Together they might be too feckless and eccentric for the responsibilities that still rested on the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Hesse. Other doubts were expressed in Darmstadt. Another doubly-related marriage?...A year later the Queen was suffering from doubts of her own, and as usual expressed them to Victoria and at the same time gave her instructions. In January 1893 the Queen arranged for Dukcy and her parents, and for Ernie, to come to Osborne. Victoria was to 'hint' to Ernie 'to be very kind and pose [sedate] & not teaze [sic] Ducky or make silly jokes, wh might destroy our _hopes_ and _wishes_ .'

Regarding the hemophilia questions, QV had her mind put at ease by Sir William Jenner but VMH had reservations. 'Her fear of the disease, which was to endure for all her life, had increased with the discovery of the deafness of her own first-born....She wrote anxiously to her brother from London: 'I still worry rather at the thought that Ducky & you are so nearly (doubly) related. Could you not in a general way ask Eigenbrodt [Ducal physician] why he is so much opposed to relations marrying. If he has other reasons besides the fear of an illness like Uncle Leopold's, against our family especially intermarrying, it would be as well to know them, for I think it is one of the duties of a man in your position especially, to try & have healthy descendants, & I know besides from experience that to see one's children not quite strong, or with some little ailment, like Alice's hearing, is a cause of worry & pain...I so fear the newspapers will soon be discussing engagements between you & Ducky & then Grandmama etc & Uncle Affie will again try to hurry you...' Warnings like these added to Ernie's own doubts about marriage in general adn to...Ducky in particular. He was uneasy about being an adequate husband and of not being able to have children--and now perhaps of their being deformed in some way...'

Later on: '...the marriage was at first as merry and colourful and exciting as everyone had expected it would be, and they were as wayward and iirresponsible as the Queen had feared. 'Already there are gt complaints' about their failure to answer letters and even telegrams...I _do_ wish you _cld_ get Ernie to be less neglectful...But Ernie was beside himself with joy. His doubts had been settled in the happiest way possible, for within less than elevn months Ducky had given birth to a lovely little girl....'

Reply #7
« on: March 31, 2005, 06:31:01 AM »
cimbrio Offline
Knyaz
Für Ludwig II Posts: 631

View Profile WWW

Victoria Melita (named Melita because she was born on this Island of Malta, where her father was posted at the time), wasn't considered a beauty by any standards (she had "too little chin" to be considered beautiful, though I agree she 8and her sisters) were very much some of the most elegant out of Queen Victoria's granddaughters. I suppose she married because she eventually gave in to her grandmother's ideas. Also, I think she thought she might fall in love with Ernie as his sister had done with another cousin and husand, Heinrich of Prussia. However, Ernie, being  bisexual, musn't have been very easy to live with, maritally speaking), but he was, all the same, a good ruler.  Victoria melita found the Hessian lifestyle dull and monotonous, and did not even becoem president of an association founded by her aunt Alice (the role passed to Victoria of Battenberg and from her to her sister in law Eleanore of Solms-Hohensolms). I really don't like Victoria melita but I don't think she was a bad person, although she does resemble Alexandra in some ways I think.
Reply #8
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:45:28 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Actually (why I don't really agree) she was considered a great beauty in her day. There were numerous articles from the time which referred to it as well as letters from relatives. Vicky actually preferred her looks to that of Ella and Alix  Shocked . I think that her beauty mostly resided in her coloring especially her eyes which were supposedly a truely lovely color. It's more her expression that ruins it for me--I don't think I've ever seen a photo where she looked less than mopey and miserable.

the problem with thinking perhaps she'd fall in love with Ernie later is that, Irene and Henry were actually in love for a couple years before they married and well-suited in temperament to each other. (Her peaceful nature helped counterbalance his ferocious temper) Hoping to fall in love after, while not uncommon then, is that is such a gamble and in this case they both (and esp their daughter) lost. Thankfully they were able to divorce and move on to spouses they were happier with.

Reply #9
« on: March 31, 2005, 12:13:22 PM »
ashanti01 Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 1511

View Profile

I do recall reading that Victoria was considered the prettiest of  Queen Victoria's grandchildren. But I personally think Ella and Alix were the prettiest, although to be honest Victoria does come off rather pretty in some photos but not often enough to be considered lovelier than Alix or Ella.
Reply #10
« on: April 01, 2005, 06:51:39 AM »
Mandie, the Gothic Empress Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei Posts: 1971

View Profile WWW

I think Princess Victoria Melita is brat in my opinon. Never happy about what she gots, always whats more..

ROYALTY?  Roll Eyes +  Angry  
Reply #11
« on: April 01, 2005, 12:22:07 PM »
ashanti01 Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 1511

View Profile

I can't deny from what I have read, she never seemed to be happy with what she had. Always wanting more.
Reply #12
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:31:18 AM »
Marc Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 4468

View Profile

Does anybody has a colour portrait of Victoria Melita since I can't find it on the web!
Reply #13
« on: June 02, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
Svetabel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

It would be great to find out Ducky's colour potrait!

I have just dag out this photo...actually at first I can't believe is it Ducky? Very unusual impression of her face..

Reply #14
« on: June 02, 2005, 08:01:37 AM »
Speedycat Offline
Boyar

View Profile

Gorgeous dress!!  Almost "art-deco" in apearance.  Do you know the date of this photo?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: