Author Topic: Armenian Genocide  (Read 40788 times)

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
Re: Armenian Genocide
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »

An Armenian Orthodox priest swings an incense censer as part of a blessing during a service marking the 90th anniversary of the mass killing of the Armenian people, at the Armenian Patriarchate in Jerusalem's Old City, Monday, April 25, 2005. Armenians accuse the Turks of genocide in the killings of up to 1.5 million Armenians during World War I as part of a campaign to force them out of eastern Turkey. (AP Photo/Kevin Frayer)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 12:18:21 PM »

Armenian children carry signs and photographs as the take part in a march to mark the 90th anniversary of the mass killing of the Armenian people, in Jerusalem's Old City, Monday, April 25, 2005. Armenians accuse the Turks of genocide in the killings of up to 1.5 million Armenians during World War I as part of a campaign to force them out of eastern Turkey. (AP Photo/Kevin Frayer)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 12:19:20 PM »

Leader of Turkey's Workers Party, Dogu Perincek, gestures in front of a Turkish flag and a portrait of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881-1938), the founder of the Turkish Republic, during a demonstration to commemorate the 82nd anniversary of the 1923 peace treaty of Lausanne, on Sunday July 24, 2005 in Lausanne, Switzerland. The treaty established a political balance between Turkey and Greece and established the independence of the Turkish nation. The public Ministry of Winterthour, Switzerland, has opened an investigation against Dogu Perincek after he had denied the Armenian genocide of 1915 during a press conference last Friday in Glattbrugg near Zurich. (AP Photo/Keystone, Fabrice Coffrini)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 12:20:02 PM »

Armenians from all over Europe demonstrate in front of the Kiem conference center, in Luxembourg, Monday Oct.3, 2005, calling on Turkey and the EU to recognize the mass killings of Armenians around the time of World War I as genocide. British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said Monday that crisis talks between European Union foreign ministers over how to bring Turkey into the EU were in trouble, suggesting entry talks with Ankara may not start as planned later in the day. (AP Photo/Yves logghe)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 12:20:41 PM »

People stroll past a giant poster commemorating the 1915 Armenian genocide on the square of Paris city hall (background) Friday, April 22, 2005. Turkey never acknowleged the massacre which has left some one million five hundred thousand dead, Armenians claim. France and Russia have already declared the killings a genocide and there is strong pressure from Armenian Diaspora groups on the U.S. Congress to do the same.Turkey denies a genocide was committed, saying the death count is inflated and insisting that Armenians were killed or displaced as the Ottoman Empire tried to secure its border with Russia and stop attacks by Armenian militants.(AP Photo/Jacques Brinon)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 12:21:26 PM »

An anti-Turkey billboard is seen in Bourj Hammoud, the Armenian neighborhood of Beirut, Lebanon, Thursday, April 21, 2005. Turkey's mass expulsion of Armenians during World War I, which Armenians say was part of a genocide that claimed 1.5 million lives, is a dark chapter rarely discussed in Turkey. The approach of April 24, the 90th anniversary of the date Armenians mark as the start of the killings, is focusing attention on the issue. Turkey denies a genocide was committed, saying the death count is inflated and insisting that Armenians were killed or displaced as the Ottoman Empire tried to secure its border with Russia and stop attacks by Armenian militants. (AP Photo/Murad Sezer)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »

A worker installs an anti-Turkey banner in Bourj Hammoud, the Armenian neighborhood of Beirut, Lebanon, Thursday, April 21, 2005. Turkey's mass expulsion of Armenians during World War I, which Armenians say was part of a genocide that claimed 1.5 million lives, is a dark chapter rarely discussed in Turkey. The approach of April 24, the 90th anniversary of the date Armenians mark as the start of the killings, is focusing attention on the issue. Turkey denies a genocide was committed, saying the death count is inflated and insisting that Armenians were killed or displaced as the Ottoman Empire tried to secure its border with Russia and stop attacks by Armenian militants. (AP Photo/Murad Sezer)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 12:22:45 PM »

Marchers carrying a banner calling on Turkey to acknowledge the Armenian genocide walk past the Capitol in Sacramento, Calif., Thursday, April 21, 2005. The march, which started in Fresno and covered 215 miles over 19 days, ended in a rally were more than 500 people commemorated the 90th anniversary of the Armenian genocide. Nearly 1.5 million Armenians were killed between 1915 and 1923 by the Turkish Ottoman Empire. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »

Arshalous Dadir, 93, center, listens as a speaker talks about the mass killings of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire during an event commemorating the 91st anniversary, Sunday April 23, 2006 in New York. Dadir is a survivor of the mass killings where Armenians say up to 1.5 million Armenians died or were killed over several years as part of a genocidal campaign to force them out of eastern Turkey. France, Russia and many other countries have already declared the killings were genocide; the United States, which has a large Armenian diaspora community, has not. (AP Photo/Tina Fineberg)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 12:24:29 PM »

Eva Loosigian, 91, left, and Alice Shnorhokian, 93, hold back tears during an Armenian Genocide 91st anniversary commemoration in the House Chambers of the Statehouse in Boston Friday, April 21, 2006. Both women are survivors of the genocide. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2006, 12:25:17 PM »

In this photo provided by PhotoLur, US Ambassador to Armenia John Evans, right , attends a memorial in Yerevan, Armenia to mark the 91st anniversary of mass killings of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire, Monday April 24, 2006. (AP Photo/PhotoLur, HO)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2006, 12:27:48 PM »

Two Armenians walk past a memorial in the capital, Yerevan, Monday night, April 24, 2006. Armenians marked the 91st anniversary of mass killings of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. Armenia accuses Turkey of the massacre of up to 1.5 million Armenians between 1915 and 1919. (AP Photo/ Hakob Berberyan)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2006, 12:31:20 PM »

Armenians grieve at a memorial in the capital Yerevan, early Monday, April 24, 2006, marking the 91st anniversary of mass killings of Armenians in the Ottoman Empire. Armenia accuses Turkey of the massacre of up to 1.5 million Armenians between 1915 and 1919. (AP Photo/Karen Mirzoyan)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 12:32:04 PM »

Armenians Caspar Jibalagian, 19, left, and Razmig Denbekjian, 20, shout for the United States recognition of the Armenian genocide in 1915 on the commemoration anniversary outside the Hyatt hotel in Irvine, Calif, where President Bush spoke to Orange County business leaders Monday, April 24, 2006. (AP Photo/Branimir Kvartuc)
I, Claudius

Offline palimpsest

• Velikye Knyaz
  • nulla dies sine linea
    • View Profile
    • CERHAS
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 12:33:07 PM »

Lebanese Armenians wave a banner and hold Armenian flags as they march on the main coastal highway in Beirut, Lebanon, Monday, April 24, 2006, to mark the 91th anniversary of massacres in Turkey that began in April 1915 and in which hundreds of thousands of Armenians died. Armenian communities around the world mark the killing of up to 1.5 million Armenians, on April 24 each year with marches, vigils and rallies to demand recognition from the world community, and reparations from Turkey. Turkey claims the number of deaths is inflated and says the victims were killed in civil unrest. (AP Photo/Mahmoud Tawil)
I, Claudius