Author Topic: Russian Lit. from a Russian Persepective  (Read 21614 times)

AlexP

Re: Russian Lit. from a Russian Persepective
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2005, 06:56:17 PM »
Dear All,

Thank you very much for all of your kind comments about Pushkin and Evegnii Onegin.

With kind regards,

A.A.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2005, 10:31:24 PM »
Dear Belochka,
Your own story brought tears to my eyes. It also reminded me of Tante Lilly's own stories of during the Revolutionary days in their Kidslovosk palace (where they had fled for 'safety' from Moscow)  and nightly raids by drunken bolsheviks took place on their house, her father would recite Pushkin to the children by memory, and then many years later, as her father, then in New York, was being rushed to the hospital in ambulance dying, Tante Lilly held his hand in the ambulance reciting Pushkin to him.

FA, I am very touched by your words ...

Pushkin has indeed permeated the heart and soul of so many in their most darkest hour.

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2005, 10:52:02 PM »
Svetabel wrote:

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:21 PM »

Dear All,

With the kind consent of everyone on this little topic, and with the very kind consent of Rob Moshein, please, I will enter an honoric vote for Pushkin in memory of Tante Lilly, and if there are no objections from dear Belochka, an honoric vote for Pushkin for her mother.  That will raise the tally by two and it will be reflected on the final count. "Eto prosto po-chelovechskii i tak i nada".

Alex! Spasibo za vashi slova.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:50 PM »
Svetabel wrote that they discussed moral face of Onegin.
Actually, we had to discuss the same problem too, but our teacher changed the object of discussion.
It is intresting, what Pushkin thought himself about moral face of Onegin?
Are there some evidences?

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2005, 11:08:55 PM »
Alex, I have no VOTE....I was merely voicing my personal favorites. I am not Russian and only KNOW two very dear Russians, from late in my life so I am not qualified. I merely want to quietly read what the rest of you are reading together, and read your comments.   If you will permit!

Belochka you touch my heart, you have for a long while I read all of your posts.  Hikrau you have enriched my life with all of the wonderful extra's you post about the St. Petersburg area.  Having a friend on the spot brings it all to life for me, who have never been there and is not able to in the future.

At the minute I am reading a biorgraphy of Puskin by T.J. Binyon and I am enjoying it, tho I do not know if it is a good one or anything much about it.....I'll leave that up to Alex who seems to be our CRITIC. (Tho I do not agree on FOTR, it is kind of OUR new age ikon)

Rob, I keep Miss. Lilly's photo on my computer desktop because she is so beautiful and she looks just like my Annie did at that age.  My A. is very dear to me and a big part of my life.

So having said all of this off topic (please forgive) I will settle back into own Russian dreams.....the tea is marvelous....and Alex, you are appreciated!

..Arleen    

Thank you Arleen for your generous sentiments

.... now for that rich black coffee by the Samovar.

Alex,

I may be persuaded to try some jasmin-and-gardenia leaf tea.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2005, 08:44:35 AM »
Svetabel wrote that they discussed moral face of Onegin.
Actually, we had to discuss the same problem too, but our teacher changed the object of discussion.
It is intresting, what Pushkin thought himself about moral face of Onegin?
Are there some evidences?

May we save the discussion about Pushkin's thoughts on Onegin until we get into the book? I believe that would be the better place to discuss it. Alex, I would also LOVE to try your Chinese tea! Ochyn Spasisbo.

AlexP

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2005, 09:02:31 AM »
May we save the discussion about Pushkin's thoughts on Onegin until we get into the book? I believe that would be the better place to discuss it. Alex, I would also LOVE to try your Chinese tea! Ochyn Spasisbo.

Dear Rob,
Dear Belochka,

Please note, in all sincerity, that I have taken your request for jasmin-and-gardenia tea very much to heart.  When the weather cools just a little (we have been living through 104 F. (42 C.) and 100% for the last several weeks, it will be acted upon.

Now to the topic.  Tomorrow I will put up a little list of whom has voted for what.  It will include the honoric votes that I mentioned plus one additional vote that I received ...  indirectly.

Later tomorrow, I am going to put up how we can go about this Russian Literature Perspective Forum -- I mean thematically.  I am striving to make it very, very interesting for everyone, so that everyone will learn and all will be equals.  I can only stress that I adore Pushkin but he is not my forte.  As I mentioned, Tolstoy is.

Also, Rob, I have a technical question that I wanted to ask of you, and of all those who have joined us so far.

All will be reading from a book.  All will be working together, on the same page as the French say.

I think, and this is only my opinion, AND PLEASE I WANT THE OPINIONS OF ALL HERE, that all are welcome to join in the discussion on the condition that they be reading the book and the chapter we are in, and that they just do not anonymously drop little messages here and there and break what I really believe will be an interesting thread.

I suppose what I am saying is, all are truly welcome, indeed, very welcomed, but they will need to be reading with us, to be participating with us, and not just to drop in now-and-then and offsubject us.

I think that all of you will see my point of view much more clearly tomorrow when I post the suggested approach and methodology.

With all of the best from Shanghai,

A.A.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2005, 12:34:25 AM »
Oh boy i always seem to be last in getting to the discussions, but at least I'm onboard. lol. I'm open
to anything, you all choose. As I said, don't read nor speak russian, but I look forward to joining in. Thanks for posting the free sites to follow along AlexP. Just tell me which one we will start on and I shall read along.

Tania
TatianaA

AlexP

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2005, 07:25:19 PM »
Dear All,

I will close the voting on our choices tomorrow evening at 00h00 Shanghai time which is 16h00 in Moscow, 02h00 in Sydney, 12h00 in New York.

I will then post all the results vote-by-vote and after that I will outline suggestions on how we can proceed to make this interesting for all.

With all of the very best from Shanghai,

A.A.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2005, 08:40:54 PM »
Dear All,

I will close the voting on our choices tomorrow evening at 00h00 Shanghai time which is 16h00 in Moscow, 02h00 in Sydney, 12h00 in New York.

I will then post all the results vote-by-vote and after that I will outline suggestions on how we can proceed to make this interesting for all.

Spasibo Alex for your enthusiastic efforts!

I am sure we area all looking forward to the result with intense interest.  ;D

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2005, 12:12:33 AM »
I am looking forward to this too!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

AlexP

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2005, 03:17:48 AM »
I am looking forward to this too!

Dear Lexi4,

Welcome to the Group.  I am glad that you "chimed" in.  I was hoping that you would.

Please look over all of the suggestions of the group and let me know which one you personally would like.  Remember though -- whatever is chosen has to be freely available to anyone on the Web in an online form, in either English or Russian.

Since I very much welcome your participation, I will hold the vote for another day until I have heard from you.  One of the rules of this particular group is that in order to post, and to help the momentum of the group, anyone posting must be reading along.  I think that you will see that we will bring what we read "alive".

I look forward to your vote, and remain, with all of the very best from Shanghai,

A.A.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2005, 08:37:37 AM »
Vote early    vote often   vote Pushkin,but not nescessarily in that order......

As this is my first post here,I would like to thank Alex,Cpacibo!

Dear Belochka,I'm very very moved by the story of your mother,bless you and all yours.

Tante Lilly,"stirling silver sleigh bells ringing across freshly fallen snow",   magic...

if,if I ever comprehend Russian,wouldn't it be wonderfull to make it sound the same,even with my bariton.....

Warm regards to all,Lucien.

Je Maintiendrai

AlexP

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2005, 09:49:40 AM »
Vote early    vote often   vote Pushkin,but not nescessarily in that order......

As this is my first post here,I would like to thank Alex,Cpacibo!

Dear Belochka,I'm very very moved by the story of your mother,bless you and all yours.

Tante Lilly,"stirling silver sleigh bells ringing across freshly fallen snow",   magic...

if,if I ever comprehend Russian,wouldn't it be wonderfull to make it sound the same,even with my bariton.....

Warm regards to all,Lucien.

Dear Lucien,

Thank you very much and welcome to the world of Russian Literature from a Russian Perspective!

Once I have received Lexi4's vote, I will close the balloting and post the totals.

Best wishes to all from Shanghai,

A.A.