Author Topic: Queen Juliana's Grandchildren  (Read 83965 times)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Queen Juliana's Grandchildren
« on: August 14, 2005, 12:56:00 AM »
The children of Queen Juliana's three younger daughters are now of age.  What are these young modern royals up to?

Princess Irene m. Prince Carlos Hugo of Bourbon-Parma
*Prince Carlos (b. 1970)
*Prince Jaime (b. 1972)
*Princess Margarita (b. 1972), twin of Jaime
*Princess Maria Carolina (b. 1974)

Princess Margaret m. Peter van Vollenhoven
*Maurits (b. 1968)
*Bernard (b. 1969)
*Peter (b. 1972)
*Floris (b. 1975)

Princess Maria Christina m. Jorge Guillermo
*Bernardo (b. 1977)
*Nicholas (b. 1979)
*Juliana (b. 1981)
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
Re: Queen Juliana's Grandchildren
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 05:04:48 AM »
Princess Margaret and her children are the only ones left still in the line of Succession - after Queen Beatrix's descendants. Oh, and Princess Irene's husband is the 'Carlist' claimant to the throne of Spain. They live in Paris, I beleive.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
    • GonDan's Royalty Family Trees
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 05:15:07 AM »
Princess María Carolina of Parma is fairly well known here in Spain because she was suggested a few years ago as a possible ideal wife for Crown Prince Felipe, she being the daughter of the Carlist pretendnt to the Spanish throne. Had a marriage occurred, it would have brought to an end, maybe, the different ideologies between legitimist carlists and those who supported the reigning branch of the Bourbons. María Carolina was born in Njimegen (Holland) in 1974, the fourth and youngest child of Prince Carlos Hugo of Parma and his Dutch wife, former Princess Irene of the Netherlands. The marriage ended in divorce a few years later. María Carolina's aunt, Queen Beatriz, is (according to the newspaper article I've taken this info from) considered the richest queen on earth, her fortuna rising up to 4.180 million euros (this is an article written in the year 2002). At the time of María Caroline'a birth her family had already been exiled from Spain by General Franco, but after his death her family was allowed to return. She spent her early childhood in Madrid, till her parents' divorce, although they still maintain a close friendly relationship. Since then the four princes spend their time between their two homes. Carlos Hugo then started given lectures of Economy in Boston, while Princess Irene returned tio Amsterdam, though Carlos Hugo resides at present in Brussels. One of his stsers is also a lecturer in a University in Spain and has written several books (I've got one for instance).

María Carolina is a devout Catholic and having been brought up in the Dutch court, she has the manners as well as the understandings of a true princess. She is well informed and speaks six languages fluently: Spanish, Dutch, German, English, French, Italian, and has a fairly good knowledge of Basque.

Before Princess Irene married Carlos Hugo, she ahd to renounce her rights to the Dutch throne, and therefore her children have no succession rights to their aunt's throne. Nonetheless Queen Beatrix has recognised them as Princes of Parma with the rank of Royal Highnesses.

Her brothers and sister are:
-Carlos Javier, born in 1970, is the heir to his father's claims to the Spanish throne. Known as the Duke of Piacenza, he studied Economic Sciences in Holland, later to do a master's degree. He lives in Brussels, works in a bank and is at this time still unmarried, although he is known to have fathered an illegtimate son whom he hasn't recognised as his own.
-Princess Margarita is Maria Caroline'a only sister. She was born in 1972, the twin sister of her brother Jaime. She's known as the Princess of Colorno and studied Art, Architecture... She is at present married to the commoner Edwin van Zuydewijn.
-Jaime was born in 1972 and is known as the Count of Bardi. He studied in Holland and Salamanca (Spain) and works in the Foreign Ministry of Holland. He is unmarried.

Hope it helps!

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 05:25:37 AM »
Princess Maria Carolina

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 05:28:19 AM »
Thanks for the info, cimbrio!! Princess Irene's marriage was quite a scandal at the time, wasn't it?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 05:37:06 AM »
Her wedding photograph

I don't know exactly though there were several things that they ahd to change, like their religion for instance, and now it's ended in divorce...

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 05:55:07 AM »
And carlos Hugo:

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 05:56:36 AM »
I wonder, does Queen Beatrix ever see her sister Irene? Is Irene invited to family events?
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Robby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:25:08 AM »
I wonder, does Queen Beatrix ever see her sister Irene? Is Irene invited to family events?

Yes
“Courage! I have shown it for years; think you I shall lose it at the moment when my sufferings are to end?” Marie Antoinette

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 08:00:57 AM »
Is Irene godmother to any of Queen Beatrix's children of grandchildren?
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 11:35:43 AM »
I think Irene's marriage was not approved of by the Dutch royals.

Someone told me that in Holland Princess Irene is sort of made fun of, like the Prince of Wales, for talking to her plants, etc....
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline cimbrio

• Knyaz
  • Für Ludwig II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 12:59:12 PM »
I imagine both Irene and her youngest sister (or their descendants) are excluded from the line of succession since they're Catholic, perhaps? Are the Volenhoven plainly commoners or do they have any Dutch title?

Offline Tatia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 01:39:29 PM »
I imagine both Irene and her youngest sister (or their descendants) are excluded from the line of succession since they're Catholic, perhaps? Are the Volenhoven plainly commoners or do they have any Dutch title?

The family of Pieter van Vollenhoven are just 'normal' people, they don't have a title and Pieter also wasn't given a title (like 'prince' or so) after his marriage to princess Margriet, he is called mr. (meester ('master')) Pieter though, but I don't if that is a noble title

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 02:01:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Tatia!
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tatia

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 02:23:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Tatia!

Thank you! :)

I was just looking up some things about Margriet & Pieter's children, here it is:

Prince Maurits works as a business manager at Philips.
He married princess Marilène (b. 1970) in 1998. They live in Amsterdam with their children Anna (b. 2001), Lucas (b. 2002) and Felicia (b. 2005).

Prince Bernhard jr. is a joint owner of an internet company and is married to princess Annette (b. 1972) (married in 2000). They have 2 children: Isabella (b. 2002) and Samuel (b. 2004) and live near Maurits and Marilène, in Amsterdam.

Prince Pieter-Christiaan works as a major (I believe that's the right word :-/) of the Royal militairy police
He will marry his girlfriend Anita van Eijk on the 25th (civil wedding) and 27th (church) of August, this year.

Prince Floris works at the district court of Amsterdam.
He will marry his girlfriend Aimée Söhngen next October.