Author Topic: Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Part II  (Read 193505 times)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Part II
« Reply #405 on: June 22, 2007, 11:02:36 PM »
Ah yes the living quarters issue! This was mentioned in the Lost Prince.  Prince John says, "..And Grandmama silly old thing lives all alone in the Big House when she ought to know better!.." :)

Mary became frustrated at the amount of time it took for Alexandra to vacate Buckingham Palace. She also was agitated at the amount of resistance Alexandra showed about moving out of Marlborough House before finally being convinced by Augusta.

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #406 on: June 23, 2007, 12:22:48 AM »
I was looking through some of the coverage of Alexandra Fife's wedding and, as a side note, this sitting of Queen Alexandra (one pose from a previous page) was the first studio sitting that she'd given since she was widowed 3 1/2 years prior:

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 23, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »
Mary became frustrated at the amount of time it took for Alexandra to vacate Buckingham Palace

How long did Alexandra remain at Buckingham after Edward died?  And, why didn't George and Mary just move into Windsor and hold court there?  I know they didn't really like Windsor but that seems like the only place large enough for the monarch and his 6 children. 

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 23, 2007, 12:00:13 PM »

Mary became frustrated at the amount of time it took for Alexandra to vacate Buckingham Palace. She also was agitated at the amount of resistance Alexandra showed about moving out of Marlborough House before finally being convinced by Augusta.

Mary R.

Augusta who?  Why did Alexandra need to move out of Marlborough House.

Seems to me Buck House (at least when I visted in 2000) would be large enough for Georgie Boy, Diamond Drawers, the six kids AND Mother Dear.
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 23, 2007, 12:48:39 PM »
Augusta who?

Augusta of Cambridge, Grand Duchess of Mecklinberg-Strelitz.  Queen Mary's aunt and Queen Alexandra's first cousin. 

-Duke of NJ

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 23, 2007, 12:51:49 PM »
Augusta who?  Why did Alexandra need to move out of Marlborough House.

Sorry, I should have been clearer! I was referring to when Edward ascended the throne and they had to vacate Marlborough House in favor of Buckingham Palace. Sorry for the confusion! :P

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 23, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
Seems to me Buck House (at least when I visted in 2000) would be large enough for Georgie Boy, Diamond Drawers, the six kids AND Mother Dear.

Of course it's big enough for the whole family, it's not space it's just principle.  The reigning king and queen get the large palace and the dowagers and heirs move into the smaller palaces.  Bertie and Alexandra could have lived at empty Buckingham since Queen Victoria lived at Windsor, but they lived at Marlborough House. 

Don't you think all the Romanovs could have lived in the Winter Palace or the Catherine Palace, but did they?  Nope.  They each had their own residences. 

-Duke of NJ

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 23, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
 I do not see QV and Bertie living under the same roof!  ;) ;) ;)

However, I understand what you are saying.  I meant to imply that if Alix really wanted say in Buck House when in London the place is big enough.

When Charles inherits the throne, Will Eddie & Sofa and Andrew be expected to move out of Buck House or do they grt to keep their apartmemts for visits to London?

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 23, 2007, 01:19:29 PM »
Well after Princess Alice was born I believe QV described BP as "cramped"

Correct me if i'm wrong, it's in "Victorias Daughters" which I don't have to hand.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 23, 2007, 01:41:37 PM »
Do you recommend that book? I've been contemplating whether to order it for ages!

Mary R.

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 23, 2007, 01:45:31 PM »
Hi Mary R.

I really enjoyed Victoria's Daughters and I would suggest that you purchase it.  It gave me a nice overview on the Princesses when I didn't know very much about them (not that I am terribly knowledgeable now), and it's a good starting point to decide who you want to know more about.
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 23, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »
Well after Princess Alice was born I believe QV described BP as "cramped"

I believe that is why she added the fourth wing to make a courtyard.  I could be wrong though.

-Duke of NJ

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 23, 2007, 01:48:48 PM »
Thanks emeraldeyes! I'm ordering it was we speak!

Mary R.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 23, 2007, 02:29:49 PM »
You will love it Mary R!! It's a must have and really well written. He writes so nicely when describing the last months of QVs and Vickys lives I felt.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 23, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »
I recently read Born to Rule (loved it) and wanted to learn more about the mothers! I have complete confidence in your recommendation!  :)

Mary R.