Author Topic: Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Part II  (Read 193500 times)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Alexandra (1844-1925), Part II
« Reply #435 on: July 03, 2007, 08:15:54 PM »
Indeed ! I got a catalogue of Royal Danish dresses shown in an exhibition (included some from "Aunt Swan" and Alexandrine). The Danes were very proud of QA and checking up on their collection may yield some results. I just went to the Danish Royal Library 2 months ago and they have gorgours pics of the dresses woen in various functions. Good for me who likes to trace jewels and dresses.  ;)

Were the any pictures of Alexandra's dresses from the catalog and if so could you scan them?

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 03, 2007, 09:22:13 PM »
Not very good with scanners... :(

Offline Kate_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 04, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »
It is in Copenhagen and housed in a new complex (ajasoned to the old building) called "the black diamond". I am thinking of moving to Denmark and do extensive research there.  :D
Thanks for the info Eric, I will certainly check it out

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2007, 03:19:39 PM »
Photos of some of Queen Alexandra's fans:

ostrich-feather fan on tortoiseshell sticks encrusted with diamonds that is believed to have been made at the time of the coronation in 1902

This one incorporated a stuffed hummingbird that she carried to a fancy dress ball in 1871.

QA's fan with portraits of her children

A Faberge Fan given to Alexandra by her sister Dagmar in 1904

QA had between 300 and 400 fans, and introduced Fabergé fans to the collection. "The Fabergé fans have guards decorated with gold, silver and diamonds," said the spokesman. Queen Mary was an even bigger collector and helped institute the cataloguing of the huge collection.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:36:12 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »
Is it on display now ?  ???

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2007, 08:54:43 PM »
I don't think any longer.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2007, 09:21:34 PM »
Maybe can be found in a catalogue.  ;)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2007, 10:29:42 PM »
Yes, there was an exhibition book put out.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 13, 2007, 03:19:55 AM »
Where can one find it ?  :o

Offline Kate_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 20, 2007, 06:36:43 AM »
Where can one find it ?  :o

The book is called Unfolding Pictures and is a catalogue of the exhibition.  It is very good - lots of nice photos and info about them.

Offline Kate_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 20, 2007, 06:48:03 AM »
Talking of exhibitions, that reminds me that I am off to Windsor next week for a day in the archives, and will be abe to have a look at the wedding exhibition that GDElla mnetoned earlier in the thread.  Hoping there will be a catalogue or perhaps a ew postcards to go with it, especially of Alexandra and Edward's wedding day.  No doubt the castle wll be absolutely heaving in August but my three year old can't wait!

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 20, 2007, 04:28:07 PM »
Good training with your three year old, Kate S!  Mine at that age would be pulling me off to Legoland, not Windsor Castle!  I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing about what you find there.   

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 20, 2007, 04:59:44 PM »
Good luck with your findings! The exhibition looks wonderful, I can't wait to hear your reports!  :)

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Kate_S

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 03, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
Having spent a few heavenly hours in the Royal Archive yesterday, I thought I would share the day with you guys!  Great day, looking at Alexandra's wardrobe accounts which exist from 1898 to her death.  So interesting to see just who she was using in terms of couture houses, outfitters, drapers, silk mercers, umbrella makers and even who made her corsets.  There were so many names of different companies, but sadly few details about what their trades were so I have a bit of Googling to do!  Anyway, it was a fabulous day.  I did have chance t look around the Five Gold Rings wedding exhibit.. Busy, so difficult to get a really long look at it all, but I'm glad I managed to get in. There is an accompanying book which doesn't have a great deal of text but lots of images, including those that GDElla included at the beginning of the thread.  Alexandra's wedding lace was so fine and the mind boggled at the four tiers of the same which it took to cover the dress.  Bearing in mind that it takes a modern Honiton lacemaker about ten hours to make a decent couple of square inches of lace, the workmanship involved is breathtaking.

Sorry I can't write more for now (I could go on and on!) but baby duties await.  I took both my three and a half year old and my five month old to the castle.  My parents took them to see the sights whilst I studied but consequently the length of the day is catching up with us all a little today

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 03, 2007, 10:02:43 AM »
Thanks for the report! The exhibition sounds divine!  :)

Mary R.