Author Topic: French Royal and Imperial Jewels  (Read 84703 times)

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: French Royal and Imperial Jewels
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 11:08:16 AM »
Speaking of jewels, the Hope Diamond, etc, there was a fascinating programme on the History Channel on the Hope Diamond and whether it was part of the lost French Blue. They used digital images of each facet and drawings of the original blue diamond of 115 carats, the French Blue of 69 carats, and removed the 45 carat Hope Diamond from its setting to photograph it. The conclusion: the Hope Diamond was cut from the French Blue, which was in turn cut from the original. From the original 1668 blue diamond to the Hope Diamond, 80 carats were lost, and the Hope Diamond is still the largest blue diamond ever found. The programme even tried to see if other stones could have been cut from the 'scraps', and there wasn't enough to make even tiny stones. *sigh* What a loss...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6946421/ A bit more detailed about the process. :)

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2005, 11:41:07 AM »

The Mirror of Naples, actually. I believe it was a table-cut diamond, something with pearls around it, and Mary Rose took it with her when she eloped with the Duke of Suffolk. François I forever lamented its loss, and it's been since lost to history. I heard nothing of either of Mary Rose's daughters, Frances or Eleanor, inheriting it, so I get the feeling it might have been sold by Suffolk after Mary Rose's death in 1533. Just my tuppence.

Regards,
Arianwen

LOL. I knew it was something to do with Italy . . . I heard that Henry, in return for allowing Mary and Charles's marriage to stand, took all of Mary's French jewels, including the Mirror . . .
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2005, 11:53:04 AM »

LOL. I knew it was something to do with Italy . . . I heard that Henry, in return for allowing Mary and Charles's marriage to stand, took all of Mary's French jewels, including the Mirror . . .

I think it's that Henry insisted on Mary's behalf that all her jewels were gifts from Louis, and that she had every right to keep them. Then, she was gone before François had a chance to reclaim any of them. ;) Smart woman, I wouldn't have given up my jewels, either, if I'd had to put up with marriage to Louis...*shudders*

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 12:19:08 PM »
I understood that mary kept her french jewels but gave The Mirror of Naples  to Henry as part of the "payback" he demanded from Mary and Suffolk. the Chancellor of France valued it at 30,000 crowns.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kimberly »
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 01:17:57 PM »
I understood that mary kept her french jewels but gave The Mirror of Naples  to Henry as part of the "payback" he demanded from Mary and Suffolk. the Chancellor of France valued it at 30,000 crowns.

That's quite possible, except I can't imagine Henry giving something like that up, and royal property at that point was still really well-documented. We don't hear of him wearing it or giving it to anyone else, which I find points away from the idea of Henry getting the Mirror. If Suffolk had it when Mary died, and he had married his own ward because he was desperate for money, selling the Mirror sounds likely, and explains how it was lost. Either way, we don't KNOW what happened to it after Mary left France.

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2005, 10:47:28 AM »
This is the Regent Diamond, which was acquired by Philippe II d'Orleans, Regent of France, and has since been set in Louis XV's crown, and in Napoleon's sword. It is now in the Louvre.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2005, 10:55:09 AM »
Another pic of the lovely Hope Diamond:

-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2005, 11:10:11 AM »
The Hope Diamond with a ring and earrings made from it:

-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2005, 12:11:27 PM »
This is a talisman that Charlemagne had made for his wife:

-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2005, 12:53:11 PM »
I MUST have that sapphire !
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2005, 04:22:48 PM »
<rolls eyes> Alright Arianwen, we'll get you one. <says loudly> How much for the Grand Conde? What do you mean it's not for sale? Arianwen wants it! She must have it!  ;) ;D ;D ;D
-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2005, 04:52:20 PM »
<rolls eyes> Alright Arianwen, we'll get you one. <says loudly> How much for the Grand Conde? What do you mean it's not for sale? Arianwen wants it! She must have it!  ;) ;D ;D ;D

*goes into a corner and stamps foot repeatedly in a pout, and emerges with a sweetly innocent, angelic face* Are you SURE it's not for sale? Not even for me? ::)

As my husband says, just TRY refusing me then...lol

Regards,
Arianwen

Offline Helene

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2005, 01:29:13 AM »
This diamond was stolen in 1926, the burglar climbed a tall tower for steal it, so if they resist to your charm, and if you are not  scared of heights... ;)

The diamond was found  rapidly after and now it is  still in the castle of Chantilly in "The cabinet des Gemmes".

A picture of the castle if you want to prepare the ground  ;):

http://www.naturepixel.com/chateau_chantilly_2.jpg

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2005, 10:58:19 AM »
Eugenie's pearl tiara:

-Sherlock Holmes

Offline Arianwen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2005, 12:00:14 PM »
So THAT'S where it went......i must get it back!! IT'S MINE I SAY, MIIIIIIIIINE!!!! *stomps off into corner and starts throwing daggers at everyone* Get it back for me. Now!!!!!!  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

All right, little one, *I* already claimed it! I have seniority AND the prior claim, and I'm willing to defy my terror of heights to get it. Plus, I'm closer to France than you. ;) If you're particularly nice, I might let you borrow it, from time to time...8)

Also, I'm taking Eugénie's pearl tiara and Marie Amélie's sapphires, while I'm turning jewellery thief. You lot can battle it out over the rest.

Regards,
Arianwen