Author Topic: French Royal and Imperial Jewels  (Read 103511 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: French Royal and Imperial Jewels
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2005, 07:49:18 AM »
Yes...to the jewels still owned by the French Bourbon family... ;)

Offline frohsdorf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2006, 12:24:08 AM »
Marie Antoinette's personal jewelry was packed and sent out of France secrely in 1791.  The boxes and caskets were received by the Queen's sister, Archduchess Marie Christine, in Brussels.  She later turned the jewels (and money) over to her nephew, Emperor Francis II of Austria.  Marie Antoinette's daughter, Marie Therese Charlotte de France (1778-1851), Duchesse d'Angouleme,  inherited her mother's jewels when she arrived in Vienna in 1796.  They remained in her personal possession during her many years of exile, both before and after the Bourbon Restoration in France.  At the time of her death in 1851 at Frohsdorf in Austria, Marie Therese had many of her jewels in her apartments at Frohsdorf, while others were kept at the Imperial Treasury in Vienna.  According to the terms of her July, 1851, will, the jewels were divided in thirds between her nephew, the Comte de Chambord, his wife, the Comtesse de Chambord, and his sister, the Duchesse de Parme.  Since the Chambords were childless, upon the Comtesse's death in 1886, all of Marie Antoinette's jewelry passed into the Bourbon Parma line.  Most pieces were left to the two daughters of the Duchesse de Parme:  Marguerite, Duchesse de Madrid, and Alice, Grand Duchesse de Tuscany.   Other pieces were left to the wife of Robert, Duc de Parme.   Marguerite and Alice received magnificent diamond necklaces once the property of Marie Antoinette (which can be seen in the portraits of the Duchesse d'Angouleme at Versailles today).  The Duchesse de Madrid's two daughters sold one of the diamond necklaces at Sothebys in 1937.  It was sold again in the early 1970s and the location is now unkown.  A pity that none of these magnificent pieces of the most famous French queen are not in the Louvre today.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2006, 09:06:18 AM »
Sad...indeed. It would be a major work to put back togather the collection of Marie Antoinette.  ???

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2006, 10:24:20 AM »
Very interesting thank you frohsdorf!!

I did read that Marie Therese received some of Madame Elisabeths jewels. Is their any truth in that?

Also at Madame Elisabeths trial they questioned her about her jewels, apparently she had sent them to her brother the Comte de Artois. Don't know if thats right... ???
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »
I think her jewels should have went to Princess Marie Therese, her niece, whom she was devoted. Anyway she was one of the last to see her Aunt alive, and perhaps told her.  ::)

Offline frohsdorf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2006, 11:30:09 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't know what became of Madame Elisabeth's jewels.  One can assume they eventually came to Marie Therese, as the heiress of her parents' personal property (and almost certainly her aunt's, as well).  I do know Marie Therese sold a  magnificent ruby and diamond parure to her cousin, Francis II of Austria, in 1800-1801.  This belonged to Marie Antoinette.  It remained in the Habsburg family until WWI, at which time it disappeared or was stolen (as happened to many Habsburg pieces).  There is a portrait of Empress Elisabeth of Austria wearing this parure.

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2006, 11:32:48 AM »
Thanks for the info Frohsdorf! And welcome!  :D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline frohsdorf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »
Thank you!  I have extensive background in French history and the Bourbon dynasty in particular.  I have visited many of the European sites connected with the exiled Bourbons and have visited some of their descendents, as well.  This discussion board is very interesting!

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
Thank you!  I have extensive background in French history and the Bourbon dynasty in particular.  I have visited many of the European sites connected with the exiled Bourbons and have visited some of their descendents, as well.  This discussion board is very interesting!

Ooh, we look forward to your contributions very much then!!  ;D :D :D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline lancashireladandre

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2006, 01:32:08 PM »

drool dripping off my chin...

This diadem was made between 1819 & July 1820  for The Duchesse de Angouleme.The stones were from the crown collection and included a central shallow emerald of 15:93 carats,2 smaller stones of 14:19 and 14:13 and another 37 emeralds plus 1,031 diamonds.This diadem later became a favourite of the Empress Eugenie who with her red hair particularly suited the vivid green stones.Sold in the great sale of the French crown jewels it became the property of the Lambton family,Earls of Durham.In 1982 ,it was exhibited in the "Treasure Houses Of Britain" exhibition in Washington DC.Scince then it has returned to the Louvre.

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2006, 01:45:17 PM »
Very interesting thank you frohsdorf!!

I did read that Marie Therese received some of Madame Elisabeths jewels. Is their any truth in that?

Also at Madame Elisabeths trial they questioned her about her jewels, apparently she had sent them to her brother the Comte de Artois. Don't know if thats right... ???*

Madame Elisabeth's gems were taken out of France with the Queens jewels by Leonard the Hairdresser at the time of the flight to Varennes.Marie Therese was the natural heir to the gems...Indeed Elisabeth seems to have been the central influential character in her neice's life.During the course of the long years of the first exile,MT was obliged to sell numerous items from the combined collection.The rubies went to the Austrian crown,the huge earrings were bought by Princess Tatiana Youssoupoff ( they are now in the Smithsonian)various other dazzling items allegedly from the collection,ended up in the caskets of Vanderbilts,Astors,Maharajah's,Barbara Hutton and now Queen Elizabeth II......

Offline frohsdorf

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2006, 07:39:34 PM »
The largest and finest diamond necklace once owned by Marie Antoinette passed through the Bourbon line to Prince Don Jaime de Bourbon (1870-1931), who died unmarried.  He left it to his two sisters, Archduchess Blanca of Austria and Princess Beatrice de Bourbon-Massimo.  The sisters sold it at Sothebys in 1937, where it was purchased an Indian Maharaja.  That family then sold it again in 1971 or 1973.  The current location is unknown.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by frohsdorf »

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2006, 08:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the information ! Love royal jewelry investigation... ;D

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2006, 09:19:07 AM »
In Ian Vorres "The Last Grand Duchess".The Tsar's younger sister GD Olga Alexandrovna mentions that on her marriage to Prince Peter of Oldenburg,his mother (Nee Princess Eugenie of Leutchenberg) showered her with gems including the Ruby tiara that had come down to her from her great grandmother the Empress Josephine.On Olga's divorce in 1916 she returned the gems and it is stated that the proceeds of the sale of these,kept the Oldenburgs in comfort in exile (seem to remember that the couple settled in Biarritz where the Princess for long an invalid died in the late 20's.her husband survived both wife & son dying circa 1932).Does anyone know if the tiara survived intact?.With so many other of the Empress's gems surviving in the royal Scandanavian collections thanks to other descendants,it would be interesting to know the ruby tiara's fate,

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2006, 12:36:47 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, I did read Madame Elisabeths jewels went to her neice which is only right.

Thank you for posting the pic of the diadem made for The Duchesse de Angouleme. I'm suprised she purchased it as I got the impression that clothes and jewels didn't interest her. You would have thought she had enough jewels but it's good she treated herself and why not!!  :D :D
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.