The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 24, 2014, 05:44:03 AM
462560 Posts in 8976 Topics by 14521 Members
Latest Member: stanway
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Tudors (Moderators: Kimberly, Prince_Lieven, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Elizabeth Woodville, Queen of England
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Elizabeth Woodville, Queen of England  (Read 20513 times)
Reply #15
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:49:23 PM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Loyaulte me lie Posts: 3117

View Profile

I can't remember. It was either one of Cecily's daughters or it may have been a daughter of Catherine Woodville, Elizabeth's sister. Somebody might know out there.

Member of the Richard III Society
Reply #16
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz
To Be Useful In All That I Do Posts: 6588

View Profile WWW

Well, Catherine was married firstly to Henry Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, and then to Jaspar Tudor, Duke of Bedford. She had issue with Buck, but not Jaspar . . .

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."
Reply #17
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:41:33 PM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Yep, definately Cecily. She had two daughters and both died very young. Catherine Woodville's daughter Elizabeth was the first recorded mistress of Henry VIII

Reply #18
« on: August 25, 2005, 04:49:40 PM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

that was kinda incestuous, wasn't it?  Roll Eyes

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #19
« on: August 25, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »
Prince_Christopher Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Kimberly, your description of Elizabeth is very fitting, in my opinion.  I believe she was ice cold and she thought and acted as though she was royal to her fingertips.  She certainly believed in exercising her prerogatives, and she did manage to control her husband to the end.  She would have made a fearful stepmother, had Edward had any previous children.

Costain paints a colorful portrait of her in The Last Plantagenets, dining alone in queenly splendor with a lady at her knee and her own mother standing close behind to hand her her napkins.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Prince_Christopher » Logged

Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero
Reply #20
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:20:10 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I have a very good biography written by David Baldwin. Its actually very fair and while not excusing any of her actions, it does dispel some of the myths. After all, if you were elevated to Queen and had a horde of unmarried brothers and sisters surely the least you could do would be to make "good" marriages for them.

Reply #21
« on: August 26, 2005, 12:25:47 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

She had what would appear to be a close relationship with Grace, an illegitimate daughter of Edward. She was quite possibly brought up by the Queen and she accompanied Elizabeth's body to Windsor.

Reply #22
« on: August 26, 2005, 05:18:44 AM »
umigon Offline
Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Yep, definately Cecily. She had two daughters and both died very young. Catherine Woodville's daughter Elizabeth was the first recorded mistress of Henry VIII

To complicate itn even more, if I am right, please correct if I am not, this Elizabeth was later married of by Henry to his widower uncle, Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk!

Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan
Reply #23
« on: August 26, 2005, 05:41:59 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Oh boy its so confusing.
Thomas Howard married firstly, Anne Plantagenet- sister of Elizabeth of York.
This Thomas Howard's second wife was Elizabeth stafford whose father was Edward Stafford and mother was Eleanor Percy. So this would be a different Elizabeth Stafford. They should have given them different names like KYLIE or BRITTANY and then we wouldn't be so darned confused. Lets go up the pub Grin

Reply #24
« on: August 26, 2005, 05:43:36 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I agree Kim - Princess Kylie has such a nice ring to it. Enough of this 'Elizabeth', 'Mary', 'Catherine' and 'Jane' nonsense.  Grin

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Reply #25
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:31:38 AM »
umigon Offline
Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Ha ha ha ha! Yes, princess Kylie seems alright to me!

Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan
Reply #26
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:33:13 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Yes, and, to add an Irish idiom, I'm thinking 'HRH Prince Deco'.  Grin Grin Grin

-Sherlock Holmes

Reply #27
« on: March 22, 2006, 10:26:31 AM »
imperial angel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I think Elizabeth was someone who has been much malighned with little reason, as anyone with many unmarried brothers and sisters would have tried to well by them after being elevated to such a position. She had family loyalty, and that is a virtue by most people's standards, although nepotism isn't at all. She certainly was a stunner, and would have had to be to keep Edward's interest.

She seems to have been someone who could be soft as well as hard, intelligent as well as seeming this dumb, widowed, relative commoner the king shoudn't have married. That is how she was seen by some. Most of her descendants with Edward come from Elizabeth, who married Henry VII-certainly most modern royalty can trace their bloodline there. In light of that, it certainly is interesting that her other children didn't leave that many descendants.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by romanov_fan » Logged
Reply #28
« on: March 23, 2006, 01:36:51 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

i think i mentioned this already but jane grey's father descended from one of elizabeth's sons... i believe he was the youngest of the two sons from her first marriage

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #29
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:18:17 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

There's debate about that, but I think Thomas Grey - grandfather of Henry Grey - was Elizabeth's eldest child.

-Sherlock Holmes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: