The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
August 01, 2014, 02:49:22 AM
460977 Posts in 8932 Topics by 14521 Members
Latest Member: kmk818
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Tudors (Moderators: Kimberly, Prince_Lieven, BobAtchison, Forum Admin)
| | |-+  Eleanor Cobham, Duchess of Gloucester
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Eleanor Cobham, Duchess of Gloucester  (Read 5796 times)
« on: August 26, 2005, 05:59:16 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz
To Be Useful In All That I Do Posts: 6588

View Profile WWW

Here's a thread about Eleanor Cobham! Get discussing!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:15:18 PM by Prince_Lieven » Logged

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."
Reply #1
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:08:57 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Hmm. . . info about her is actually quite hard to come by . . . she was the mistress of Prince Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, the fifth son of Henry IV and Mary de Bohun. After his first marriages was annulled, he married Eleanor. In 1441, she was tried and conviceted of practising witchcraft on the King in an attempt to secure influence for her husband. She died while in prison. Her marriage to Humphrey was childless.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

Reply #2
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:14:11 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I'm sure someone else can add more info than I did . . .

-Sherlock Holmes

Reply #3
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:23:00 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Loyaulte me lie Posts: 3107

View Profile

Ooohhhh its juicier than that PL....
She was maid to Jacqueline of Bavaria, who was Humphrey's first wife. (SHE was interesting too being married 4 times). This marriage was annulled by Papal decree and Humphrey then married Eleanor. It is thought that there were two illegitimate children between these two -Arthur and Antigone. After the death of John Duke of Bedford ( Hump's brother) Humphrey became Henry VI's heir. In 1441, 3 priests,Eleanor's chaplain and her secretary were executed for conspiring to kill the king through witchcraft. Eleanor herself was known to have had "dealings" with Margery Jordain-The Witch of Eye-and Eleanor was tried on the same charges. She pleaded guilty on 5 of the 28 counts. She was sentenced to do public penance in London, divorced from Humphrey and imprisoned for life in Peel Castle on the Isle of Man. She wasn't burned at the stake BUT her ghost still haunts the castle ruins...MUHAHAHAHA Shocked

Member of the Richard III Society
Reply #4
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:38:26 AM »
Prince_Lieven Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Thanks for all that info, Kim! Antigone!?  Huh What a name for a poor child!  :-/

-Sherlock Holmes

Reply #5
« on: August 26, 2005, 06:43:31 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Its from Greek Tragedy.....Antigone by Sophocles.... beats The Bard by any stretch of the imagination but thats another topic.   Still, it could have been worse, they could have called her BEYONCE Grin

Reply #6
« on: March 24, 2007, 10:14:08 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I Love YaBB 2! Posts: 1050

View Profile

I feel a deep fascination about Eleanor (Nell) Cobham, wife of Humphrey duke of Gloucester, a brother of Henry V and, so, an oncle of Henry VI. She was a lady-in-attendance of Jacqueline of Hainault, first wife of Humphrey, and she became his mistress and borne him two children, Arthur and Antigone, before the divorce of the duke and their wedding. A few years later, Eleanor was accused of high treason and sorcery. She had to make penance and was divorced from her husband and later she was exiled to Isle of Man.
Anyone interested in the case?
Reply #7
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Me,me,me Grin. I'll go through my books and see what I can find.

Reply #8
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »
Kurt Steiner Offline
Graf

View Profile

Let me look for a seconds... Yeah, got the books and a black eye -1-. Let me take a look and as soon as possible I'll join the fray Wink

-1- Newton was right about the gravity laws, trust me. Books cannot fly Embarrassed Grin
Reply #9
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:13:16 AM »
ilyala Offline
Velikye Knyaz
il y a Posts: 2071

View Profile

it's interesting about henry 4th's daughters in law!

catherine de valois, married first to henry 5th, went on to marry a penniless squire, owen tudor (that is, if they ever married).

jaquetta de luxembourg, who married the duke of bedford, went on to marry sir richard woodville - who was of noble but kind of low birth.

and then there's of course eleanor cobham.

what was it about henry 4th's brothers that drove their widows to marry below their stature?

'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Reply #10
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:30:15 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Yes, and Jaquetta also had accusations of witchcraft flung at her.

Reply #11
« on: March 25, 2007, 06:57:53 AM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Yes, Kimberly..I believed that Jacquetta was able to manage so well the TWO accusations of wictchcraft who fell upon her head. Eleanor was the more ill-fated of them. I wonder also how felt her only daughter surviving childhood, Antigone of Gloucester, born out of wedlock. When Eleanor received the strong accusations of high treason and sorcery, Antigone (what a name for a Plantagenetīs lady!) was aged sixteen, but she had married sir Henry Grey, later second count of Tankerville, and she had been delivered from a daughter, Elizabeth Grey (born one year before the judgement of her grandmother Eleanor).
Eleanor was used as a pawn in a great, great struggle between cardinal Beaufort and Suffolk against Humphrey of Gloucester, the charismatic oncle of Henry VI (remember Humphrey was surnamed "Good Duke Humphrey" and he was seen as one of the heros of legendary Agincourtīs battle...).The public penance of Eleanor in London was not only a deep humilliation for the lady, but also for her proud husband.
Reply #12
« on: March 25, 2007, 07:12:09 AM »
Kimberly Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

And ditto, one about Jacquetta.
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php/topic,4253.0.html

Reply #13
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:28:27 AM »
Kurt Steiner Offline
Graf

View Profile

Eleanor was used as a pawn in a great, great struggle between cardinal Beaufort and Suffolk against Humphrey of Gloucester, the charismatic oncle of Henry VI (remember Humphrey was surnamed "Good Duke Humphrey" and he was seen as one of the heros of legendary Agincourtīs battle...).The public penance of Eleanor in London was not only a deep humilliation for the lady, but also for her proud husband.

That's the key. It is true that Eleanor gloried in her high rank and yearned for higher. His husband, after all, was heir pressumptive to a childless king. It is quite possible that he attempted to use witchcraft, even if it was jsut to discover when the king was going to die, which, in itself, was an act of treason.

The Tudor chronicles suggest that the fall of the duchess was entirely caused by the duke's enemies in order to discredit him, but I don't think so. Witchcraft was a serious buissines in the Middle Ages, and Eleaor was certainly guitly of some of the charges brought against her. The duke's enemiges just took advantage of his wife's indiscretions to weakin his political position. So, they had her exposed to public trial and public humiliation. All this affair gravely undermined the duke.

Reply #14
« on: March 25, 2007, 12:29:44 PM »
Yseult Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Do you know how acted Humphrey during and after the trial against Eleonor? Where they met for the last time?
I have read reports about the trial, the sentence and the public penance. Eleanor was then moved to Chester, and later to Kenilworth for a long time, and later she was exiled to Peel Castle in Isle of Man. Of course, Humprhey was forced to divorce Eleanor when she was condemned, but...how reacted him?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: