Author Topic: Valentina Ivanovna Chebotareva  (Read 45487 times)

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Valentina Ivanovna Chebotareva
« on: August 27, 2005, 02:41:12 PM »
I am looking for the full edition of the wonderfull diary ot Chebotareva, who worked in the lazaret. I read some large extracts. Tones of very precious information, millions of details about Olga and Tatiana, there work in the lazaret. Was published by someone of her descendant (perhaps daughter) in: Novy Jurnal 181. New York 1990. How can I find it? Could you help me?

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Valentina Ivanovna Chebotareva
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 03:36:21 PM »
There is a book in English written by her son with some pieces of information from the diary, but I don't know if it's been published in full anywhere!

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 05:24:31 PM »
Lanie, would you be so kind to give me the references of the book of Chebotareva's son? What is it about? Is that interesting? And available?

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:34:13 PM »
Russia, My Native Land : A U. S. Engineer Reminicses and Looks at the Present is a very interesting book by Gregory P. Tschebotarioff, son of the subject of this thread.  Three or four of the initial chapters deal with prerevolutionary Russia and interactions that he and his mother had with Alexandra and her two eldest daughters.

I also would love to find a copy of the journal Matushka references. Perhaps someone has access to a copy and would be good enough to share its contents with us.  ???

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 07:27:35 AM »
As usual, I can not buy any cheep book, no one send it to my far of the US country. And new are so expensive... What a pity!

Here is the link for the website of the Novy Journal
http://magazines.russ.ru/nj/
Perhaps you will have more chance than I!

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 05:01:06 PM »
Matushka, have you got the whole article (published over two editions of Novy Zhurnal) or just small parts of it?

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 03:41:07 PM »
My problem is that I have only some parts of them! And I would like to find the whole diary, or at least larger extract. I am sure it is possible!
I got those extract from a very interesting russian book about Alexandra Feodorovna: Skorbny angel. I do not like the "spirit" of the book (as Alexandra never made any mistake and was an ideal person and a really "pravednaya"), but it is FULL of quite rare documents I never read anywhere. And contents large extracts of this diary.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »
I think the journal in its entirity was published in Novy Zhurnal. At least, it looks fairly comprehensive from what I could tell. I have also seen parts of it in English. From what I can tell, she stared as a great admirer of the Empress, but came to blame her for all Russia's troubles. I read a letter from the Empress to her from Tobolsk - so full of Christian hope and trust in God, yet Chebatereva's son describes the letter as showing how out of touch and off on some weird mystical plane the Empress was.  :-/

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 07:40:15 AM »
Yes, it is so. At the beginning of the diary V. I. admire the Empress. But time ran, and she slowly started to make her responsible for all troubles and did not want see her anymore. V. I. conserve good relations only with Tatiana Nikolaevna she loved very much. There are a lot of letters. I think you know some of them.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 03:47:26 PM »
A question to those who have Grigory Porfirovich Chebotarev's book: when died exactly his mother? I read two dates, april 1918 and april 1919. Which one is wrong?

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 08:59:02 PM »
Sorry I can't answer this one, as I only borrowed the book from the library. I suspect the 1918 date is wrong, but am not all that sure.

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 11:04:05 AM »
From this woman, it seems we can quite a bit about the romanovs, I think.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 01:49:47 PM »
Particularly about Olga and Tatiana as young women.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 06:53:24 PM »
I made photostats only of the chapters dealing with the years prior to the Revolution, so I'm afraid I cannot help you at this time! When I am able to relocate the actual book, though, I will look into it.