The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 25, 2014, 06:24:15 AM
462173 Posts in 8977 Topics by 14522 Members
Latest Member: LindaAFMartin1
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Yussupovs (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  The Youssupov jewelry
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: The Youssupov jewelry  (Read 104887 times)
Reply #105
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:34:39 PM »
katmaxoz Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I've finally found some decent images of Youssupov diamonds.

The Polar Star Diamond (41.285 carats) - two views, with the second one highlighting the eight point star cut which gives the stone it's name.

The Sultan of Morocco diamond.  This is a steel coloured diamond of 33.67 carats and is usually classed with other blue diamonds for rarity

The Yussupov's owned one other notable diamond the "Ram's Head", a light pinkish gem of 17.47 carats which seems at this point to be lost from the photos of noteable gems and no modern history is known about it.

And there were also Marie Antoinette's diamond earrings, weighing 14.25 and 20.34 carats respectively and were originally bought for the Yousspov collection by Princess Tatiana and are still in their original 18th century setting. Harry Winston reset the large diamonds in platinum replicas of the original silver settings in 1959. Cartier, Inc. designed the triangular tops. In November 1964, Mrs. Post's daughter, Mrs. Eleanor Barzin, donated the earrings, along with the original setting to the Smithsonian Institution. The diamonds are originally from India or Brazil, the only significant sources of diamonds in the eighteenth century.HarryNow in the Smithsonian in the USA which were donated by Marjorie Post

Reply #106
« on: January 16, 2010, 05:54:51 PM »
ashanti01 Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 1511

View Profile

Beautiful pictures. Thank you for posting them. Those are truly stunning pieces.
Reply #107
« on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:01 AM »
ashdean Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian Posts: 1180

View Profile

The Yussupov's owned one other notable diamond the "Ram's Head", a light pinkish gem of 17.47 carats which seems at this point to be lost from the photos of noteable gems and no modern history is known about it.

[/quote]
The Rams head was bought by the Singer sewing machine heiress & international style icon Daisy Fellowes whose collection of high fashion jewels by the great houses Cartier etc is legendary..Daisy had it set as a ring and reputedly comissioned a wardrobe in the same shade of pink from Schiaparelli to complement it...hence "Shocking pink".
Sadly soon afterward (prior WW2) the ring and other gems were stolen and never heard of again...
Reply #108
« on: January 27, 2010, 06:19:25 AM »
katmaxoz Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

The Rams head was bought by the Singer sewing machine heiress & international style icon Daisy Fellowes whose collection of high fashion jewels by the great houses Cartier etc is legendary..Daisy had it set as a ring and reputedly comissioned a wardrobe in the same shade of pink from Schiaparelli to complement it...hence "Shocking pink".
Sadly soon afterward (prior WW2) the ring and other gems were stolen and never heard of again...
[/quote]

Thank you very much for that nugget of information. It's amazing the history of these pieces sometimes. "shocking pink" - it must have been a truly gorgeous diamond then. It'd fetch a fortune in today's market where pink diamonds and sapphires are so sought after.
Reply #109
« on: February 07, 2010, 06:10:45 AM »
katmaxoz Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

I suppose this isn't strictly jewellery, but this seemed the best place to put it.  A photo of a faberge box bought out of Russia by Felix and sold to Cartier and then to the Hillwood estate.

Reply #110
« on: February 16, 2010, 01:03:29 PM »
Mia Offline
Boyar
'Princess of Genovia' Posts: 100

View Profile

I was totally flabbergasted to find the sapphire venus (mentioned by Felix in his book) on Christie's October sale catalogue. I sort of thought that the venus would have been just a legend... or if it was true it would be hidden somewhere and never showing up just like the rock crystal tiara and sunburst tiara of Irina.

I was a bit disappointed for the carving job which doesn't look very detailed, especially the face and toes are very simple. But corundum is hard material. Maybe that explains it. The colour of the sapphire is typically uneven but lovely light blue. Sri lankan stuff?

Image by Christie's. Sorry about that Christie's but I hoped it would get more attention when shown.

The Lot Text by Christie's A very nice lot text indeed.

Errors, like straw, upon the surface flow,
He who would search for pearls,
must dive below.
John Dryden
Reply #111
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:28:38 AM »
ashdean Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I was totally flabbergasted to find the sapphire venus (mentioned by Felix in his book) on Christie's October sale catalogue. I sort of thought that the venus would have been just a legend... or if it was true it would be hidden somewhere and never showing up just like the rock crystal tiara and sunburst tiara of Irina.

I was a bit disappointed for the carving job which doesn't look very detailed, especially the face and toes are very simple. But corundum is hard material. Maybe that explains it. The colour of the sapphire is typically uneven but lovely light blue. Sri lankan stuff?

Image by Christie's. Sorry about that Christie's but I hoped it would get more attention when shown.

The Lot Text by Christie's A very nice lot text indeed.
The tiaras of Irina discovered in 1925 were no doubt dismanted within a very short time for their materials...however the Venus sapphire was well documented after the revolution...as it was exported by Felix and exhibited in New York city...
Reply #112
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »
katmaxoz Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

some more for the collection:
La Pelegrina & the Azra black Pear of Catherine II

Until 1783 a famous necklace known as 'the Azra' was among the Russian crown jewels. It consisted of 110 perfectly matched pearls with a large round black pearl at the junction of the two ends from which, suspended from a diamond cross, was a great black pear shaped pearl of beautiful form and lusture known as 'the Azra'. Empress Catherine II gave it to her favourite Potemkin in 1783 and he bequeathed it to his niece, Princess Tatania Youssoupoff. Since then it has been handed down in the Youssupoff family who also acquired 'la pelegrina, which was formerly a part of the Spanish crown jewels. The two pearls were displayed together in the exhibition of Russian art held in London in 1935.

Reply #113
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:37 PM »
novarrofan Offline

View Profile

Those two pieces of jewelery displayed together look so magnificent!!!  I know everyone raves about the La Pelegrina but I think the Azra Black Pearl and combination diamond cross and white pearl necklace is sensational. It must have been one of the crowning glories of the Yusupov jewelry collection. I hope it is featured in the upcoming "Jewels of the Romanovs: Family and Court" book.
Reply #114
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
katmaxoz Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Those two pieces of jewelery displayed together look so magnificent!!!  I know everyone raves about the La Pelegrina but I think the Azra Black Pearl and combination diamond cross and white pearl necklace is sensational. It must have been one of the crowning glories of the Yusupov jewelry collection. I hope it is featured in the upcoming "Jewels of the Romanovs: Family and Court" book.

I do a well. I found this image in Lord Twining's 'crown jewels of europe' when I was finally able to see it at the library.  The book also has specific details of the Russian imperial jewels sold in 1927 with prices realised and buyers names etc, and it made truly realise how thin the information supplied in books like Prince Michael's 'jewel's of the tsars' is.  I would really like to see some meaty information on the jewels, and specific details as to stone sizes etc where availabe in "jewels of the romanovs' as it would make it a much more useful reference work in the future.

Reply #115
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:04:10 AM »
Svetabel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

The Yusupov Jewellery on display  in 1914 year

Reply #116
« on: December 29, 2010, 02:37:07 AM »
Svetabel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Wedding presents to Princess Irina, displayed at her mother's Palace in 1914 year.

Family diamonds of the Yusupovs: diadem and necklace

And other presents in the window-case:

1.   Top shelf – in the centre - Rock Crystal and Diamond Diadem by Cartier. Present by Felix.  Irina wore at her  wedding

Diamond earrings with pearls of the Yusupovs – from Felix

Emerald and diamond brooch - present from GDss Olga Alexandrovna

Diamond bracelet – from Felix

Pendant  - from the Yusupovs, parents of Felix

2.   Second shelf

Miniature - portrait of Queen Alexandra of England, her present

Brooch – from Empress Maria Fedorovna

2 rope of pearls – from Nicholas II

Rope of diamonds , and an emerald – from GDss Xenia

Diamond brooch – from GD Nikolai Mikhailovitch

Bracelet – from Princess Victoria of England

Diamond ring – from GDsses Olga and Tatiana, daughters of Nicholas II

Brooch – from the British Embassy

3.   Third shelf

Big diamonds, rubies and pearls brooch – from GDss Xenia

Sapphire and diamond  necklace – from GD Alexander M., her father.
Probably
http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/jussupov/jussupow-sapphire-tiara.htm this could be the successor of Alexander’s present

Diamond pendant with a pink pearl - GD Nikolai Mikhailovitch

4.   Fourth shelf

Stone ostrich – from Countess Orlova-Davidova

Small chest – from Zoya Stekkel

Lily-of-the-valley diamonds and pearls brooch – from GDss Elizaveta Fedorovna

Diamond Bow brooch – from GD Georgiy Mikhailovitch
Reply #117
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
ashanti01 Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 1511

View Profile

Thank you for posting those amazing photos Svetabel. Where on earth did you find them?

Reply #118
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:55:14 AM »
Svetabel Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Thank you for posting those amazing photos Svetabel. Where on earth did you find them?

You are always welcome.
This time an old magazine "Stolitza i Usadba", the issues of 1914-1915 years.
Reply #119
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:06:02 AM »
ashdean Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

The Yusupov Jewellery on display  in 1914 year

The emerald brooch on the right with its triangular central emerald was by Chaumet and is seen again in the foreground of the famous photo of the Youssoupoff jewels being displayed after their discovery in 1925 in Moscow.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: