Author Topic: The Youssupov jewelry  (Read 206112 times)

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
Re: The Youssupov jewelry
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:29 AM »
Are her earrings black pearls?

They look like it don't they?  At this date they would be natural pearls which would make them a significant piece of jewellery in themselves. These days with the reasonably easy availability of good quality cultured pearls (there's whole shops dedicated to them in Sydney and Perth in Australia) it's easy to forget how rare a good unblemished pearl was right up to the early 20th century. A good pearl was cosidered a fine gift for Royalty and all the pearls Alexandra wore were quite outstanding in their way...so it wouldn't do for the Yussupov's not to match or better the Romanovs in this department :)
The triangular emerald brooch is seen in the much documented photo from 1925 of the Bolshevks displaying the Youssoupoff hoarde...also in evidence is the greek gey diadem minus its centre section (no doubt one of the large stones taken into exile by the family).

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2009, 05:09:39 AM »

And La Perigrina (owned by Elizabeth Taylor now)

The Peregrina owned by Elizabeth Taylor is NOT the Youssoupoff pearl...this subject has been much discussed!!!!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:20:55 AM by Svetabel »

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2009, 06:41:01 AM »
I hadn't thought about the black pearls...although now that you mention it, it could be possible. There isn't really description except to say 'pearls'.

The Peregrina owned by Elizabeth Taylor is NOT the Youssoupoff pearl...this subject has been much discussed!!!!

On review you are correct. Thank you for pointing this out. the Regent aka the "napoleon" pearl was the only Yussupov pearl one illustrated in my last post.  The names make it very easy to confuse them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:47:03 AM by katmaxoz »

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2009, 07:06:13 AM »

here it is...La Pelegrina Pearl, drop-shaped 133 grains (Sold by Christie's, Geneva, 14 May 1987, for $460,000)

Finally got my pearls sorted out I think..

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2009, 12:10:51 PM »

here it is...La Pelegrina Pearl, drop-shaped 133 grains (Sold by Christie's, Geneva, 14 May 1987, for $460,000)

Finally got my pearls sorted out I think..

Yes that is the Youssoupoffs Pelegrina owned by the family from 1826-1952

Offline LaDuchesse

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
I'm not sure whether this correct but I vaguely recall that the Yussupovs bought some of the French Crown Jewels when they were publicly auctioned in the 1880's.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

I am currently reading The Man Who Killed Rasputin by Greg King and it did say that they had several pieces that had infact belonged to the French thrown.  If I am not mistaken it even said that Irina used Marie Antoinette's veil on her wedding day. :)

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2009, 04:55:23 AM »
I wonder if Princess Tatiana is wearing the Polar star at the top of her tiara in this painting?

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 03:38:04 AM by Svetabel »

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2009, 12:44:44 PM »
The Polar  Star was more square/oblong...When sold from the estate of Lady (Lydia) Deterding it was mounted as a ring.

Offline katmaxoz

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
I've read about her jewels but I don't recall the polar star being in the collection.  I need to get my hands on that book again!

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »
Lydia D also owned the Azra pearl but lost it in Paris at a reception held for Princess Margaret.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
That's interesting ashdean, did she ever get it back?
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2009, 11:54:26 AM »
Nop. It was never found.
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Georges duke of Kent

• By Georges? Sine die
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »
Is there any jewels (no snuffbox or fabergé marvelous products) from the Youssupov family exhibit in a public or private museum in America (canada, Usa) ? By the way, I find your research work and passion fantastic all of you here on this discussion. Love and peace for Christmas Cte Guiramov
If you want honnest answers ask honnest questions.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »
Is there any jewels (no snuffbox or fabergé marvelous products) from the Youssupov family exhibit in a public or private museum in America (canada, Usa) ? By the way, I find your research work and passion fantastic all of you here on this discussion. Love and peace for Christmas Cte Guiramov
At Hillwood in Rocky creek park,Washington DC are the Youssoupov Faberge box..a musical box given to celebrate Zenaida's 25th wedding anniversary and a ruby topped snuff box which was brought out of Russia by Felix and sold in 1925 to Marjorie Post.
Mrs Post also bought the famed Marie Antoinette earrings which passed to the Smithsonian museum and are on display with other celebrated gems..

Offline Georges duke of Kent

• By Georges? Sine die
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2009, 11:18:25 PM »
Many thanks Monsieur Ashdean - unfortunately these items wich I knew and I have seen already. No, I am stricly looking for tiara, ring, necklace, pieces by Boucheron or Cartier from the cassette of the Youssupov clan.
If you want honnest answers ask honnest questions.