Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina  (Read 35055 times)

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Katrina
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2005, 12:42:21 AM »
This just came in on the internet msnbc news, and I wanted to share it with those of you who love pets, and pet stories. So many pets have no homes, and many pet owners may be deceased because of this tragedy
Let's pray that owners, and pets are re-united.

We have a silky, and would just be devistated if we had to leave our dog behind.  Here is the story below:

MSNBC.com
Has Snowball finally been found?
Dog taken from sobbing boy at Superdome located, newspaper reports

MSNBC
Updated: 7:21 p.m. ET Sept. 8, 2005

Amid the heart-wrenching moments of devastation from deadly hurricane Katrina, there is at least one bright spot. Snowball, a small white dog taken by police from a sobbing little boy as he and his family were boarding a bus at the Superdome, has been located, USA Today reported Thursday.

Snowball is now at the Louisiana SPCA in Gonzalez, La., and will be reunited with his owner, U.S. Department of Agriculture veterinarian Terry Conger told the newspaper. The Humane Society of the United States and the Louisiana SPCA rescued 43 dogs and 16 cats from the Superdome and delivered them to a temporary shelter at the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center.

The dog is reported to be among an estimated 3,000 animals brought into the Louisiana shelter system.

When the police took the dog during the Superdome evacuation, the boy cried "Snowball! Snowball!" until he vomited. At the time authorities said they didn't know where the boy or his dog ended up.

The sad story of Snowball prompted an outpouring of emotion from pet lovers around the country who went on the hunt for the boy and his dog. One woman set up a reward offer to encourage the search for Snowball.

The story was first reported by The Associated Press.

Late Monday, there was a ray of hope when the United Animal Nations said Snowball was safe, citing news from the state veterinarian’s office. However, the information could not be verified because there was some confusion over whether Snowball was a terrier mix, a poodle or a bichon frise.

On Thursday, the president of the Humane Society of Southeast Texas in Beaumont blasted officials for not doing enough to take care of the pets of hurricane victims.

The organization is offering to temporarily take care of the pets while the evacuees find a new home, said Cindy Meyers, board president of the group.

It’s important that animals are taken care of in evacuations, Meyers said, adding that it’s “inexcusable” that pets are being separated from their owners.

"Pets are family members and they need to be cared for just as the people do," she said.

The Associated Press contributed to this story
© 2005 MSNBC.com

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9255741/

Thanks for allowing me to share.

Tania
TatianaA

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2005, 05:52:52 AM »
I agree with concerns voiced about the use of charitable 'giving'.   In the UK there was an outrage when some of the large charities were investigated and it was discovered that as much as 80% of their income freely donated by generous people, (after tax) was being spent on 'administration'.   Be mindful - 'charity' can be an industry.

I would always look for charities where they declare little or no overheads.   In our charity, everything and every penny that comes in, goes to where the donors intended.   I am aware that charities employ professional fundraisers to boost their profile and increase giving, but sometimes this is just TOO professional and you cannot see the wood for the trees.  

I was appalled the other morning when I heard a spokesperson on behalf of Oxfam (one of the biggest culprits in the charity business) declare their dissatisfaction with the quality of items being donated, saying that the processing of items not up to their standard was costing them millions every year and telling donors to dump their trash and give them items of value.   Excuse me.... where is the charity there?

tsaria  

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2005, 06:46:44 AM »
It is comforting to read that almost all the N.O. zoo residents have survived the distaster under the care of the dedicated staff.

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2005, 07:04:57 AM »
Here is a link if someone wants to sign up to do some volunteer work instead of donating cash. Remote work is available if you are not in the immediate area, like me. I signed up to do information speed searching.

http://www.geauxlibrary.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2005, 12:58:53 PM »
To give some idea of what's happening on that front, here is an email from the volunteer committee in N.O.:

Hey Volunteers,

If we have contacted you, great, you can disregard this email now.

If we haven't, I just wanted to let you know, we are frantically working on getting the searcher process up and running.  It will probably be sometime this weekend.

If you're not located in this area, then I'd like to describe for you what it's like so that you get a picture of what we're going through.

Everything is chaotic, there is little widespread organization, no one is in charge.  It's like working in a 3rd world country but worse.  Everything is done by volunteers, so you never know who is going to be there or in charge on any given day.  People come and go at the shelters and with organizations we're working with to try to help the relief effort.  Things do not happen in a timely manner.

If you see something that needs doing, just do it.  No one is in charge to ask anyhow :)  So that's how we got started.

So bare with us while we work outside of our full time jobs on this project.  We're going to get there!  If you don't hear from us today or tomorrow, it's not because we don't love you or need you because we do :)

Becky and Addie

Think about volunteering!

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2005, 04:56:09 PM »
Hi You'all,

This is the first I've been able to get back since the dissaster.  I've been doing some things for the Red Cross.....you would be amazed at what you can accomplish with a telephone and a computer.  Logistics is one thing, there are trucks filling up and being driven to the Gulf, they need the trucks to begin with, then the drivers.....then once the Guests of the Red Cross get to your town there is such a great need for locating missing relatives etc.....Even if you can't walk like me you can still help.

First of all I want to say how thrilled I am that GDElla and family are safe.  Your ordeal sounded horrible!  

I have also just caught up reading all of this and realize what wonderful people you'all are!!! What magnificent hearts.

I live 30 miles from Knoxville, Tennessee.  We are doing our part too.  Al Gore (remember him??--we should have him for a persident) chartered three flights to NO, totally paid for by him, brought back 160 people (along with their pets!!) and made two more trips of the same and brought people to Chattanooga and Nashville. We are a VERY small town but we have a little over 600 people in all in two shelters run by the Red Cross....the last came in by plane today and there were 49 pets on board!!  So I think that the private sector truly understand that these poor holdouts DO NOT WANT TO LEAVE THEIR PETS!!!  Knoxville plans on taking in any that they send here.....how I feel for TEXAS!!!  That great big beautiful state....you are wonderful!

Tsaria, I know by accident where two of your fellow Scots are.....on a roof balcony in the French Quarter, someone came to their hotel the next day and took them home with her....along with a man with 3 big dogs who she found swimming to get there.  She had filled the bathtub and etc. with water...they have now made lifelong friends. (but are prob. out of there by now)  NO people are basically wonderful, I lived there for years and it is my favorite city in America, my heart stayed there when I moved on (to Grandmotherhood in Tn)  

NO WILL rebuild!  They have been leveled by fire twice in their history, they ALWAYS rebuild.  I adore their spirit and their acceptance of "people" they are magnificent!!

Your friend,
Arleen  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arleen_Ristau »

PssMarieAmelie

« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2005, 09:05:59 PM »

The U.S. authorities permitted Australian consular staff to enter N.O. yesterday morning (local time) for the first time. One of whom rescued a 75 yr wheelchair bound dual citizen during the evening from a nursing home. It seems they are simply resorting to knocking on all doors, block by block. Other DFAT staff are located in Baton Rouge and other key areas to assist evacuees.

I believe ten Australian citizen remain unaccounted for as I write this.

One Aussie has been located--in a jail. He has been released from  custody and is making his way to Tennessee.

That pic from the Canberra Times is almost heart-wrenching..........

bluetoria

« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2005, 06:42:03 AM »
Arleen, how wonderful that you have been able to do so much to help! I heard a rescuer on a TV report saying that he didn'tthink the city should be rebuilt because, since it is below sea-level, it is like to happen again. I know so little about it, but I would have thought there would be ways to prevent such devastation again. Please could you tell me your opinion?

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2005, 02:12:51 PM »
Okay, I know it's not funny, but I was looking at current hurricane forcasts, and Hurricane Ophelia is looking like it will hit the eastern seaboard... near where grandduchessella just moved. She can't get away from them. Luckily this one is pretty unstable, going from TS to hurricane 3 times, and at one point it was pretty much stationary over the ocean. TS's are nothing to sneeze at either, but at least it's weaker. Let's hope this one peeters out before it hits land.

jeremygaleaz

« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2005, 02:21:51 PM »
Okay, I know it's not funny, but I was looking at current hurricane forcasts, and Hurricane Ophelia is looking like it will hit the eastern seaboard... near where grandduchessella just moved. She can't get away from them. Luckily this one is pretty unstable, going from TS to hurricane 3 times, and at one point it was pretty much stationary over the ocean. TS's are nothing to sneeze at either, but at least it's weaker. Let's hope this one peeters out before it hits land.

And let's just hope it doesn't head towards N.O. They might as well put up the "closed" sign if  that happens...

I was able to get back into the suburbs of New Orleans the other day. Property looked fine, and no looters. However, I think no one can get in our out of the suburbs for at least three weeks more. As for the city, I think it's indefinite.  

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2005, 05:07:15 PM »
Don't worry, NO is safe from Ophelia.  It's currently sitting right off the coast of South Carolina and some forcasts having it hitting SC, while others have it going north and hitting North Carolina. Norfolk, VA, where GDella's family just moved, is along the NC/VA border. Whichever way it goes, they'll at least get a bunch of rain.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2005, 09:57:21 AM »
The University of Texas at Austin is also making space available to students accepted to Louisiana universities for the fall semester if anyone else is in a similar situation. visit www.utexas.edu for further information.

The University of Amsterdam,The Netherlands,also made space available for 10 law students from NO,as was announced today.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lucien »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline Alexa

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2005, 08:41:41 PM »
I know I haven't posted in ages, but wanted to say, on behalf of all on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, thanks for all your support.  You can't imagine how much support means right now.  Everything from prayers to donations is very much appreciated!

GD Ella, glad to hear you made it through.  I spent the storm up at a friend's house (who was 8 months pregnant) on the Gpt/Lyman boarder.  Her hubby and I kept wondering how the heck to get her to Keesler is she went into pre-term labor.  As is she didn't, thank God!  Hope I never have to go through that again.  And I hope the next time I see Hwy 90 it's in better shape than it is now.  I made the mistake of going down and walking around the day after.  It was so horrible I couldn't even cry, although I wanted to.  But things are getting better -- electricity, water (boil-only), and gas are all back.  And the restaurants are opening back up.  Come back for a vist in a few years, and although it won't be the Coast we once knew, I bet it will be back with a vengence.

Thanks again for the support everyone!

Alexa

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 16, 2005, 04:00:54 PM »
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back too....Blue to answer your question from the 10th!  N.O. WILL REBUILD!

I wasn't born and raised there but I lived there long enough and i KNOW that these people have a SPIRIT that cannot be defined!  Nothing keeps them down for long.....all of the suffering will only make them stronger. I predict that they will have the most joyous of all Mardi Gras come next year!  ...and I will be there.

God love the Texas man who paid 50 thousand $ to rent a plane to fly pets out of N O to California!!! He saved over 200 dogs and cats. Their pictures are now on the web at lostpets.com    (Sounds like something our Bob would do if he had that kind of money)

America has wonderful people doesn't it?  Sometimes we forget.....

..Arleen

bluetoria

« Reply #194 on: September 16, 2005, 05:42:14 PM »
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back too....Blue to answer your question from the 10th!  N.O. WILL REBUILD!

That's good to hear, Arleen & I hope you have a wonderful Mardi Gras next year!! Thank you.

God love the Texas man who paid 50 thousand $ to rent a plane to fly pets out of N O to California!!! He saved over 200 dogs and cats. Their pictures are now on the web at lostpets.com    (Sounds like something our Bob would do if he had that kind of money)

The rescue effort for the animals seems to have touched the hearts of so many people. It is so good to hear of it.

America has wonderful people doesn't it?  Sometimes we forget.....

America certainly does! And it is an honour for we Brits to know you & be your friends!!