Author Topic: WWII graveyard in front of AP  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
Re: WWII graveyard in front of AP
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 09:05:51 PM »
The thread on this subject in in the Pushkin Town History  section the thread is ( German occupation)
http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php/topic,7593.0.html

I added my nickle of thoughts in that section so i'll bow down now. but if i may. they should be returned home. I wonder though they American and English war dead in normandy remain there without ever being taken back home would it be the same outlook towards German dead?

David_Pritchard

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 04:00:09 PM »
The difference between the German and Spanish troops buried in Pushkin and the American, British and Commonwealth troops buried in Normandy is that the allied soldiers came with an invitation from the French and the fascist soldiers arrived in Russia uninvited. It real is simply a matter of etiquette.

David

Offline Nadezhda Edvardovna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 10:58:56 AM »
At Concord, Massachusetts' monument to Colonial soldiers who died in the first battle of the American Revolution, there is also a memorial to the British soldiers who died there, so far from their mothers and homes.  I found that monument to be a loving tribute and a warm, genuine aspect of the reconciliation that has taken place between Great Britain and the United States.    My hope is that relations between Russia and Germany will follow a similar path.  Pax, Nadezhda.

Offline RogerV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2006, 01:09:49 PM »
I'd imagine that the subject of this graveyard couldn't even be brought up before the fall of the Soviet Union.  The Soviets were unwilling to discuss so many things, sometimes for the strangest reasons.  Then there was the question as to whether West or East Germany should have been responsible for claiming the bodies.  As a result of all this, it was probably easier to more or less pretend the graves didn't exist, which of course is something the Soviets were very good at.

Now that the Soviets are out of  power and there is only one Germany, perhaps some kind of workable solution can be found.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2006, 01:11:33 PM by RogerV »

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2006, 01:57:13 PM »
RogerV,

I think you have brought forth a very important and valid view. I wonder who will bring this up and act on it, if at all.
Your quite right about how the Soviets were unwilling to discuss many things, and why they may have chosen to pretend it was of no importance. Now that the wall is down, it is time to really start addressing these 'irrelevant issues'. Thanks again for your posting.

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline RogerV

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2006, 11:51:34 PM »
Tania,
Thank you for your kind words.  However, this discussion has caused me to think of the larger picture; there may in fact be millions of Germans buried in Russian and Ukraine.  Their losses were astronomical (although still less that the number of Russians who died) and as they retreated, taking out their dead was not an option.

I have no idea if there are organized German cemetries in Russia.  I supsect that there are not, as the Soviets would not have wanted such things easily seen.

As has been already pointed out, many Allied servicemen (and some women) are buried in France.  The difference is that they lie in honor, and their graves are carefully tended.

Offline RogerV

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 09:49:18 PM »
I have done a little research, and discovered that there are thousands of foreign soldiers buried in Russia, or in territory that once belonged to Russia.  Some are in formal cemeteries like those maintained by the French and British governments for their soldiers who died in the Crimean War.  Others are in unmarked or forgotten locations like the German cemetery which is now being used as a pasture.  It should also be noted that Germans buried in Russia may be from either of two world wars. 

This article provides a little more information, and now that I think of it, a possible solution for what to do with the bodies buried around the AP:   http://www.rense.com/general3/bww.htm

Offline Nadezhda Edvardovna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2006, 08:56:02 AM »
RogerV, thanks for posting that article.  It was very interesting.  I particularly was interested in the attitude of today's people toward's yesterday's enemies. It reinforces my hopes for the future.  Pax, N.

Offline RogerV

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2006, 07:37:45 PM »
One point I failed to mention is that many, many Russian soldiers are buried in Germany.  In what was once East Germany, I'm sure the government's official attitude was that they were considered to be "liberators," no matter what the average citizen thought.  Now that East Germany no longer exists, I don't know who is responsible for maintaining these cemeteries.

The families of American soldiers who died overseas were given the option of having their bodies sent home after the war.  Obviously, a great many families felt it was more appropriate that their son/brother/husband stay buried with his comrades.  However, I have no idea whether this option was ever available to either German or Russian citizens.