Author Topic: Dolls, wax figures, busts etc of NAOTMAA  (Read 98257 times)

Offline Olga

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Dolls, wax figures, busts etc of NAOTMAA
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2004, 09:50:40 PM »
Larisa Guishar

Offline Ming

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2004, 10:44:58 PM »
Hey...no idiots here!  The only way to learn is to ask questions.

I have a small collection of porcelain dolls, and from what I know, I believe that the doll you saw was made by Madame Alexandra, who has made many, many dolls over the years.  "Madame Alexandra" is used as a brand name.  There are many different brands of dolls, but I know she has a wide variety of dolls. Hope this helps.

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2004, 09:51:02 AM »
Hello Elisa :),

The dolls the grand duchesses had were mainly done of bisque(head) and composition( for the ball jointed body).

The major part of their dolls were made in germany(the land of the dolls), by the best dollmakers such as Handwerck, and Simon and Halbig(most frequently) and Kammer and Reinhardt. Iīve also seen a couple of "Dream Babies" i think from Armand Marseille.

They also had French dolls( mainly "Jumeau"), that were produced in a far smaller scale and therefore were much more expensive than those from Germany.

The grand duchessesīdoll collection was really incredible, i would say the largest in the world. We must remember that to have just one of the smaller dolls(cabinet size or even the so called frozen charlottes that were quite tiny if i remember well) was considered quite a luxury at the time.

In adition to those smaller dolls the grand duchesses had life size lovely dolls(36 inches or more), and extensive complements, trouseaus, trunks full of wonderful clothes, with french lace and all the things we could ever imagine.

A middle class girl from that time would have think she was in paradise if she would have seen all these things.

Today, a well preserved, dressed in period clothes french doll by Jumeau can easily cost 6000 dollars.
One good 36 inches girl by Handwerck might cost around 1500 dollars. And those are the prices you can find in Ebay auctions, if you go to an antiques shop it would be much more expensive.

I love this kind of bisque dolls, so i hope people will add more information on this very interesting(at least for me :) ) thread...

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Antonio_P.Caballer »

Offline Grand_Duke_Alexei

• Tsarevich Alexei Rocks!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2004, 11:08:41 AM »
Hey...no idiots here!  The only way to learn is to ask questions.

I have a small collection of porcelain dolls, and from what I know, I believe that the doll you saw was made by Madame Alexandra, who has made many, many dolls over the years.  "Madame Alexandra" is used as a brand name.  There are many different brands of dolls, but I know she has a wide variety of dolls. Hope this helps.

Hey Ming,

No, the doll was not made by "Madame Alexandra", it is part of the Hamilton Collection.  I wrote down what the card said on her hand in case I needed it later:

Alexandra
Last Empress
of the
Russian Empire

An exquisite connosieur doll strictly limited to a worldwide edition of 4,950, "Alexandra" is available exclusively through The Hamilton Collection.  Each doll has been crafted in fine bisque porcelain, delicately painted by hand and dressed in hand-tailored clothing.
Hand crafted in Taiwan.
Blow a kiss I run through air
Leave the past, find nowhere
Floating forests in the air
Clowns all around you

Alll this black and cruel despair
This is an emergency
Don't you hide your eyes from me
Open them and see me now

Offline Elisabeth

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2004, 05:29:58 PM »
Antonio, how did you find out so much interesting information about OTMA's dolls? Is there a doll book (or books) that mention the grand duchesses' collection?

And what happened to the collection? I know it was still intact in the 1920s, but wasn't it dispersed later?

Is that enough questions for you? *Sorry* I'm just completely fascinated by this topic.
... I love my poor earth
because I have seen no other

-- Osip Mandelshtam

Offline ptitchka

• Oblazhayu Tsesaryevicha Aleksiya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2004, 05:51:49 PM »
I do have a precious little treasure though from Madame Alexander:  In the 'Great Queens' series one finds the Tsarina Alexandra.  She wears a teal sarafan and a kokoshnik of stiffened gold lace.  Now I only wish they could have come up with the rest of the family!  Imagine the five Imperial Children, how sweet they would look even with the standard 'Madame Alexander' faces.

The doll artist Jan Garnett has made limited edition numbered dolls of three of the Imperial Children - Tatiana, Anastasia and Alexei (called Alexis).  I have seen the Tatiana and Anastasia dolls for sale on eBay.

The English doll artists Crees and Coe have also made some dolls of members of the Imperial Family:  the Empress in court dress, Anastasia in a Tercentenary dress, I believe, and Alexei all ready to help out on the Day of White Flowers.  They are pricey!

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
  • aka Yekaterina Yevgenievna
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2004, 08:29:16 PM »
The Anastasia doll by Crees and Coe

The Tsarina Alexandra doll by Crees and Coe
Don't knock on Death's door....ring the doorbell and run. He hates that.:D

Offline Michelle

• Knyaz
  • No more school forever!  Well,except college.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2004, 08:32:17 PM »
Oh my goodness!  They're beautiful!!! :o  Can you post the Tatiana one?

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2004, 08:32:35 PM »
The Alexei Doll by Crees and Coe

Offline Merrique

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2004, 08:35:18 PM »
I haven't found the Tatiana doll yet.I'm still looking for it.When I find it I will be happy to post it. :)

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2004, 06:59:46 AM »
Antonio, how did you find out so much interesting information about OTMA's dolls? Is there a doll book (or books) that mention the grand duchesses' collection?

And what happened to the collection? I know it was still intact in the 1920s, but wasn't it dispersed later?

Is that enough questions for you? *Sorry* I'm just completely fascinated by this topic.

Hello Elisabeth,

You can find good information on this subject in the catalogue of the Santa Fe exhibition "Nicholas and Alexandra: At home with the last Tsars and his family".

Also, thereīs a wonderful catalogue from an exhibition held in Moscow called "Na Detskoi Polovine" (At the childrenīs wing" that have a lot of info of this kind( although it is in russian).

This catalogue you could find in Gilbertīs Royal books web page. Itīs expensive but absolutely worth of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Antonio_P.Caballer »

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2004, 01:33:31 PM »
Mattel has a collection series called Princesses of the World and this year they came out with a Russian Princess

It reminds me of this pic of Olga

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2004, 01:43:59 PM »

I am so getting that Russian Princess! Thank you so much for telling us about it, Angie!

Anastasia my husband started my collection a few years back (which he regrets!  :P LOL). This one is the next one I am definately getting. They're not that expensive either! I would love to get the Franklin Mint dolls but they're too much! I would love for Mattel to do a Princess doll wearing court dress (like Alix or MF wore)

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2004, 01:49:50 PM »
And of course there are the dolls they put out based on the cartoon "Anastasia" movie  :P (retching noises here)

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2004, 02:00:57 PM »
I would love to get the Franklin Mint dolls but they're too much!

Angie,
I got the two Franklin Mint dolls on eBay. The Alexandra doll is fairly common, but the Anastasia doll comes up for auction once in a while. Franklin Mint originally sold the Alexandra doll for $200, but I got it on eBay for $85. The Anastasia doll I believe originally sold for $60-$80, and I got it on eBay for $60. Not much of a savings there, but I was just happy to get one as they seem to be rather scarce on eBay.