The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
October 30, 2014, 08:59:20 PM
462250 Posts in 8977 Topics by 14524 Members
Latest Member: venus48220
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  Servants, Friends and Retainers (Moderators: LisaDavidson, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Paul Voronov, Standart Officer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Paul Voronov, Standart Officer  (Read 10072 times)
Reply #15
« on: September 11, 2004, 03:18:02 AM »
pushkina Offline
Boyar
Wandering between two worlds,one dead, Posts: 248

View Profile

so what is the story of this romance?  was he not suitable?  was he already married?  was she forbidden to marry him because he was goofy looking?

where can one learn more about this story?

outrageous, alarming, courageous, charming.
Reply #16
« on: September 11, 2004, 12:13:03 PM »
Lanie Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

He wasn't of royal rank, I suppose, is why he wasn't suitable!  He was married to Olga Kleinmichael in February of 1914 (I think).  Janet's terrific biography of Olga that's here on the AP site covers her crush on Voronov.
Reply #17
« on: September 11, 2004, 12:44:28 PM »
E-38 Offline

View Profile WWW

All about Paul Voronoff after revolution you can read in her wifes book "Upheaval" in my web-site http://kleinmichel.prov.ru/upheaval.php
I am very interested in trace his daughter Tatiana Voronoff. I think she lives in Australia, where her mother (Olga Voronoff - Kleinmichel) died http://kleinmichel.prov.ru/Voronoff.pdf
If you can, help me please...

P.S. sorry for my english
Reply #18
« on: September 11, 2004, 09:00:52 PM »
Belochka Offline
Velikye Knyaz
City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin Posts: 4356

View Profile

Hi E-38,

Why not try contacting the Russian Orthodox Church in Perth? Perth has a very small Russian community which may be able to assist you. An address can be found in the online Australian Telecom White Pages telephone directory.

All the best! Cheesy

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/
Reply #19
« on: September 27, 2004, 05:52:27 AM »
tian79 Offline

View Profile

The passage is from Who is the rightful heir?
http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=succession;action=display;num=1078798738;start=125#125

I'm just wondering are they "our" Olga and Paul Voronoff.

In her memoirs, Olga Voronoff, whose husband Paul served in the Garde Equipage, wrote: “At the end of February, the Navy Guards had been called back from the front to re-enforce the Imperial bodyguard at Tsarskoye Selo.  When the revolution broke out, the reserve detachment quartered at Petrograd joined the rebels, and sailors came to Tsarskoye Selo to induce the men of the battalion to do likewise.  Despite the efforts of their officers, the sailors began to desert in groups.  Though threatened by the men, the officers remained at their posts.  The Empress knew of this and was deeply moved by their devotion; but after several days she summoned the officers, and, thanking them, bade them leave Tsarskoye Selo, for she feared the situation might lead to bloodshed if they remained.  To their protests, the Empress replied that she ordered them to leave; and she added that they must not worry because the Temporary Government had taken measures to guard the Imperial family.”
Reply #20
« on: September 27, 2004, 07:28:29 AM »
Forum Admin Offline
Administrator
Velikye Knyaz
www.alexanderpalace.org Posts: 4519

View Profile WWW

You can not possibly think that reference is to GD Olga Nicholaievna??
Voronov married Countess Olga Constantinovna Kleinmichael on February 7, 1914 in the Feodorovski Cathedral.
Spiridovitch's account ("Les Derniers Annees..." Vol 2. Ch. 18:
     "The day of the marriage, Empress Alexandra Feodrovna sent the bride a solid gold lampada with the request that she keep it constantly lit in front of the icon in front of which she and her future husband were to be blessed.
     At 4pm, the cathedral, whose interior was exquisitely intimate, recalled ancient Russia, resplendent with a thousand candles.  The painted images and ancient icons seemed to be watching with a joyous and approving air.  The guests were all chosen.  Many military men; they awaited the groom.  Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovitch as among the groomsmen.  Then arrived the aide de camp on  duty, Grand Duke Cyril Vladimirovitch.
     The groom then came from the Alexander Palace, where he had received the Empress' blessings; from there he came accompanied by Their Majesties to the cathedral The presence of Their Majesties and their children gave the ceremony a unique character. The groom was rather pale; the bride was gorgeous. The ceremony began.
     The four Grand Duchesses seemed as emotional as the newlyweds.  The Tsarevitch attentively followed everything which happened in the church.  Their Majesties watched the newlyweds with genuine tenderness, just as they would watch their own children.  Once the ceremony ended, the newlyweds kissed the icons. Their Majesties were the first to congratulate the couple.  The Emperor kissed the new bride's hand, which provoked quite a murmur from the ladies.
     From the church, Their Majesties and their children went to the newlywed's apartment.  The Empress had asked them to wait for a few moments in the church so that they might be able to arrive in time to receive them."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by admin » Logged
Reply #21
« on: September 27, 2004, 01:24:37 PM »
Janet_W. Offline
Velikye Knyaz
...And no one's grief has ever passed you by... Posts: 1889

View Profile

This is fascinating and wonderful (if bittersweet) information, FA. Thank you very much.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Janet_W. » Logged
Reply #22
« on: September 27, 2004, 04:51:30 PM »
Janet_W. Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Thank you so much Joanna.

Your inclusion of Olga Voronov's story about her wedding prompted me to go to the website. I had taken a quick look earlier but despaired, thinking it was entirely in Russian . . . then I looked again and found Olga V's memoirs in English, with an introduction by Booth Tarkington, no less!

So, I have spent some time this afternoon browsing each of the chapters, and her story is fascinating! And also, of course, a bit sad--not just because of her own troubled times during the Revolution, but also because we now know that Olga Nicholievna was in love with Voronov, and that eventually she was a witness to his marriage to another Olga.  Which begs the question: Did Olga V. ever know about the Grand Duchess's love for the man that would become her husband?  My quick scan of the copy reveals no clues, and I don't think it would be the type of information a woman, if she knew about it, would reveal . . . at least not in those days.

Anyway, Joanna, I thank you for excerpting a portion of the book for those of us who were initially intimidated by the seemingly all-Russian website!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Janet_W. » Logged
Reply #23
« on: October 28, 2004, 12:43:58 PM »
E-38 Offline

View Profile WWW

Hi E-38,

Why not try contacting the Russian Orthodox Church in Perth? Perth has a very small Russian community which may be able to assist you. An address can be found in the online Australian Telecom White Pages telephone directory.

All the best! Cheesy

Thank you. I was find and talk to Tatiana Pavlovna Voronova. She live in Perth.

Reply #24
« on: November 03, 2004, 10:25:55 AM »
felix Offline
Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 655

View Profile

I'am a former N.Y. er who lives in R.I. but knows Jordanville and can check it, let  Me know  Felix
Reply #25
« on: November 03, 2004, 11:26:19 AM »
Janet_W. Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Felix, that would be very kind of you to check out Paul Voronov's place of burial, whenever you have the chance. And please, if possible, a posted photo or two as well! Many thanks--

Janet
Reply #26
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:12:52 AM »
felix Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Janet, I may have a lead from Our Lady of Kursk Church, I have to call back 11/9.  The church is right outside of New York City. It also has  a cemetery.   F.
Reply #27
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:44:23 AM »
Janet_W. Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Hi Felix--

Thanks, as always, for your detective work!   Cheesy

As I understand it, Jordanville is in upstate New York, some distance from New York City. So is this a different church and cemetary? (And it's name, Kursk, is a sad reminder of the not-so-long-ago Russian submarine tragedy . . . )

Again, thanks in advance--

Janet  
Reply #28
« on: November 09, 2004, 04:23:10 PM »
felix Offline
Knyaz

View Profile

Janet, yes Our Lady of Kursk is just out of N.Y.C. If he died in the city he might be buried closer, being that  Jordanille is so far north. At Kursk they had a very important icon from Russia until 1948 so it was an important church.  And Kursk is an area north of the Caspian Sea,so the sub was most likely named after it. Well he wasnt buried there but the interesting thing I found out is that the largest Russian cemetery is the Novo-Viveevo Convent in Spring Valley N.Y. The spelling may be wrong because the man was trying to spell it in English. I will try it and Holy Trinity in Jordanville soon. I have all the numbers if anyone is looking for people, so I can give them to anyone who wants  them F.
Reply #29
« on: November 09, 2004, 04:39:47 PM »
Janet_W. Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Hi Felix--

Anything is possible! My friend in Yalta had read that Voronov was buried at Jordanville; that's the information I'd been going on.

Having read the memoirs of his wife re: their life in Russia, I have to wonder what their lives were like once they took up residence in the United States.

As always, thanks for your research and investigation!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: