Author Topic: Maria's figure/weight/plumpness/chubbiness/waist etc...  (Read 59141 times)

Offline Ortipo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Maria's figure/weight/plumpness/chubbiness/waist etc...
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
a couple of interjections...

Maria looked positively anorexic in captivity while Anastasia was described as chubby.  Methinks that AN was getting double portions?

Seeing Ducky wearing a corset always makes me chuckle - who does she think she's kidding?
тяв-тяв

Offline edubs31

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2013, 11:44:00 AM »
You think Marie look anorexic? Olga perhaps yes, but Marie?

Far as Olga's weight loss is concerned much of it can probably be attributed to her nerves and depression destroying her appetite. That and the fact that she was naturally slender whereas Anastasia was genetically predisposed to having more of an average frame.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
  • Give my love to all who remember me.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2013, 12:16:47 PM »
Could you provide photos, maybe?
"Austria declared war on us. Bastards." - Olga Nikolaevna
deviantArt: http://poison-ivy-alice.deviantart.com

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2013, 11:05:49 PM »
This is the photo most people are thinking of when they mention Maria's weight loss in captivity following the measles. Personally, I think it's just the sunlight obscuring a portion of her face and neck, the same way it's obscuring part of Olga's hat:

These earlier photos, taken while she's still bedridden during recuperation, show that her weight loss wasn't nearly so severe as it appears above:

THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #199 on: October 26, 2013, 02:52:20 AM »
I can definitely see where people are coming from with that first photo, but the other two photos show that - although thinner than before - she still had the fuller face that she always did. How much of a difference is there between the photos?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 26, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
They were all taken in early 1917. The one where they're all standing together was probably taken after Easter but before their heads were shaved in June. (All four girls weren't well enough to go downstairs/outside until after Easter.)
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Kassafrass

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #201 on: October 26, 2013, 07:05:59 PM »
That would have been quite a rapid weight loss if she really ended up getting that thin in just a few months. I think you're right about the lighting Sarushka.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 27, 2013, 03:48:25 AM »

Quoted from Ortipo:Methinks that AN was getting double portions?

LOL! Let Anastasia defend herself:

[to Xenia Alexandrovna March 21, 1918, the letter where she said she might turn into an elephant soon ^^]
"I really don't know all of a sudden, maybe it's a little movement, though I don't know."

Quoted from Kassy:That would have been quite a rapid weight loss if she really ended up getting that thin in just a few months.

The rapid weight loss might have been possible if that was the case, given the lessened amount of food that they have, and more activities because they were busy chopping wood, tending the garden, etc. I believe they led busier lives while imprisoned in Tsarskoe Selo.

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!