Author Topic: Royal Hats  (Read 76504 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Hats
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2005, 01:41:18 PM »

This is not an error or a rumour, this is a fact: Edward and Wallis Windsor were Nazi sympathizers!

The Grand Duke,

I think a case can be made for Edward sympathizing with the Nazi.  (I do not say I believe it but the case can be made.)  

However, Wallis is another story.  Wallis simply went along with what the Duke wanted to do because it was a losing battle trying to fight him, Plain & Simple!  

I think Wallis was relieved to be out of Europe, closer to the USA and closer to her Americans Friends.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2005, 02:29:22 PM »
Me too, Donielle. I'm shocked to learn how many people in this Forum don't like QM because the idea I had, in my country, was that everybody in UK loved her!
I think you are been very harsh and cruel to her: you're only accusing her of minor things like gin, teeth and eyebrows. Don't talk about the money she spended and that she was spoiled - every royal is the same or worst!

I also think she saw her position as Queen as a duty and did her job very well, since she didn't expect to become Queen:
- she helped her husband in many personal and political problems (George VI's stammer and WW2)
- she was considered by Hitler "the most dangerous woman in Europe"
- she was a devoted wife and mother
- she was one of the few who care for Diana
- she was the only who was against Charles and Camilla's wedding (she was old but not stupid or insane)

She had her faults but she also had very good qualities, like everybody else! Look at Prince Eddy...  ;)

But back to the topic...

This is the first time I have seen the Queen Mother praised on this forum, and it's great to see it! Thank you, Grand Duke - I really admire the QM, faults and all. She was a rare woman, a wonderful Queen Consort and a good mother. Out of respect to someone who did such a lot for Britain, I could not smear her name, particularly now that she has passed on, and I don't understand how others can either.

Offline Grand Duke

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ABSOLUTE POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2005, 04:30:28 PM »
1940's

I'm THE GRAND DUKE of LIPTON-upon-AVON ! Please to meet you. I'm glad you know my name!

Offline Donielle

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2005, 10:06:58 PM »
Give me a break! Edward VIII had the outrage to contact the Nazi leaders asking them permission to go his house in the ocupied Paris and take things he and Wallis forgot when they run away from the city!
Why do you think they were sent to Bahamas? Because of the weather?

This is not an error or a rumour, this is a fact: Edward and Wallis Windsor were Nazi sympathizers!

.All of the above is untrue.Unfortunately,what you have mistakenly taken for facts are untruths.Research ,and you will learn the truth.Although it seems your intense dislike of this couple may indeed bias any of the information you may find.BTW,They were sent to the Bahamas ,because they were not welcome in England.Edward had repeatedly told The British government he wanted a job to serve his country.He was denied a job on English soil,thus sent to the Bahamas,which pleased Edward because Wallis would serve with equal status..If he were indeed  a Nazi sympathizer I'm sure Hitler would have given him a great job!EdwardVIII loved his country.I''ll also have you know,EdwardVIII was not a bookend in the Bahamas,he did a superb job. I've opened this topic up for all who wish to learn more,about who these people REALLY were.

PssMarieAmelie

« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2005, 02:42:47 AM »
Me too, Donielle. I'm shocked to learn how many people in this Forum don't like QM because the idea I had, in my country, was that everybody in UK loved her!
I think you are been very harsh and cruel to her: you're only accusing her of minor things like gin, teeth and eyebrows. Don't talk about the money she spended and that she was spoiled - every royal is the same or worst!

I also think she saw her position as Queen as a duty and did her job very well, since she didn't expect to become Queen:
- she helped her husband in many personal and political problems (George VI's stammer and WW2)
- she was considered by Hitler "the most dangerous woman in Europe"
- she was a devoted wife and mother
- she was one of the few who care for Diana
- she was the only who was against Charles and Camilla's wedding (she was old but not stupid or insane)

She had her faults but she also had very good qualities, like everybody else! Look at Prince Eddy...  ;)

But back to the topic...

I agree with you here.I really do admire Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mum.I certainly dont possess(sorry Donielle and TampaBay, I cant help it!!) a like for the Duchess of Windsor.I don't think they were Nazi sympathizers( I dont think they would have gone that far) but I just don't like her.

back to royal hats now...

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2005, 05:01:33 AM »
There is room for everyone opinions on the Forum.  Both women had good points and both women had bad points.

What I find funny is someone who PM'd me to tell me she liked both Wallis & Cookie a whole lot and wished they could have been friends!  ;D ;D ;D LOL! ROF!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »
It is fascinating to read how polarised opinions are about the Windsors and the QM.

As Tampa says, there is room for all to air their views, although perhaps there should be a thread devoted especially to this topic.

So let's get back to the hats.  And for what it is worth, I had quite forgotten just how ghastly the QM's taste was.  That image of her in that hideous yellow creation had me sobbing with laughter, as it brought to mind the nickname that the children of one of the members (I forget which one) had for Cookie.....

'Old Yeller'.....teeth and hat to match....... :D

PS I have just been to see the White Wardrobe Exhibition at BP, so expect my update some time soon.....
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2005, 08:55:55 AM »
Can't wait to hear all about the exhibition, Martyn.

And Grand Duke, thanks for posting those pics of Cookie.  I think Sophie may recycle that first hat if she can find some birds in England that still have feathers.
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2005, 08:59:35 AM »
Can't wait to hear all about the exhibition, Martyn.

And Grand Duke, thanks for posting those pics of Cookie.  I think Sophie may recycle that first hat if she can find some birds in England that still have feathers.

Not a chance.

They are all bald and shivering, much as I am at this very moment...... :D
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2005, 09:04:27 AM »

And for what it is worth, I had quite forgotten just how ghastly the QM's taste was.  

Sophie's taste in hats is just as gastly. !!!! ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 28, 2005, 04:48:28 PM »

Sophie's taste in hats is just as gastly. !!!! ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay

I would volunteer that Sophie of Wessex's hats are far, far more ghastly than anything ever worn on the head of the Queen Mother.

The Queen Mother's hats were never high fashion, but they did suit her and her royal role, whereas, her granddaughter-in-law's millinery creations make her look simply ridiculous...

Offline Grand Duke

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ABSOLUTE POWER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2005, 06:01:30 PM »

If you want to see a Royal Hat, please click: Royal Hat
I'm THE GRAND DUKE of LIPTON-upon-AVON ! Please to meet you. I'm glad you know my name!

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 29, 2005, 02:12:13 PM »
Grand Duke- that was very...very...interesting.

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2005, 02:26:25 PM »

If you want to see a Royal Hat, please click: Royal Hat

The Grand Duke,

Where do you come up with stuff?   :o :o :o

Where do you find the time to even look for it?  ??? ??? ??? 

Do you not have a full time job? ;D ;D ;D

TampaBay
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by TampaBay »

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2005, 02:36:43 PM »
Tampa, apparently being the Grand Duke is not a full-time job...