Author Topic: Rescuing the Czar  (Read 15095 times)

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
Rescuing the Czar
« on: July 09, 2004, 05:26:04 AM »
Has anyone else heard of this book, or read excerpts from it? It is mentioned heavily in Shea McNeal's "Secret Plot to Save the Tsar" and in Guy Richards "Hunt for the Czar" and "Rescue of the Romanovs". It appears that mystery surrounds this book because it is written in the form of two diaries, haphazardly put together and quite jumbled. It reveals that an American secret agent and someone else, probably Russian, evacuated the Romanovs out of Ipatiev house through a water cistern underground which led to a British consuate in Ekaterinburg, and from there supposedly they were whisked off to many other countries, including Hong Kong...

No one knows who wrote it, and it appeared in big-name libraries like the Library of Congress and Yale in 1920 and there was no promotion of the book whatsoever. Hearing all this, I thought it was intriguing, but then I read some of it in Richards' "The Hunt for the Czar" and I thought, what a bunch of crap!

:-/ "Rescuing the Czar" reads like an Ian Fleming novel, at best! Our "rescuer", a Mr. Fox, is a guard in the Ipatiev house who stages a rescue attempt after he knocks one of the guards unconcious and leads the family out of the house and into a tunnel underground (conveniently, no mention of any of the guards on the roof or sentries noticing this--hard to beleive) and they crawl for long hours in a dirt tunnel. He describes how Alexei bleeds and Alix bandages his wound, and he flirts with Maria...all of it is written in an almost humorous way, like he is poking fun at the Bolsheviks and having a daily jaunt. No serious undertones at all.

I can't beleive anyone would take this book seriously, or even CONSIDER it, as McNeal did, as grounds to claim an escape.

It is impossibe to obtain in entirety, unless you want one of the 1200 copies ever published- and are prepared to pay a price... for example, online at this bookstore: http://www.bolerium.com/cgi-bin/bol48/75395.html

Offline Nick_Nicholson

• Boyar
  • www.objectofvirtue.com
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas B. A. Nicholson
Re: Rescuing the Czar
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 08:43:12 AM »
I have a copy of "Rescuing the Tsar", which I managed to het for next to no money in Paris.  It stinks, and virtually all of it was used in the other two books mentioned.  Just so you know, there are NO citations or proof for anything in it.

Nick
Nick Nicholson
New York City

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 05:56:50 PM »
Wow! You just explained a lot...I mean I KNEW it wasn't real, by the way it was written and common sense, of course... "Hunt for the Czar" also bases a lot of the content on that book, and the author Guy Richards was trying to find the real authors of "RTC" and even interviewed the supposed Charles James Fox's son! The kid said that he didn't think his dad ever had any ties to Russia and wasn't even there during 1918. Then months later Guy Richards claimed the son called him back and told him it was possible.

If the Charles James Fox guy was even real, who knows if that was even his son!

Crazy...I hate everything about the Romanovs' that's not true, because everyone is trying in vain to find the truth. Only makes things more confusing when someone knowingly releases faux info.

>:(

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 11:13:28 PM »
What is beyond my comprehension is why anyone would want to pay $700 for such junk.

I think I will hang onto my copy and let it mature for a few more years. Perhaps I shall reconsider the situation when I can be guaranteed $1000 for it.

:o

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 12:05:16 AM »
Hahaa I'd sell that book of lies and make some spending money!

To buy books with facts. ;D

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2004, 09:27:56 PM »
For this comedy of errors we can all go laughing all the way to the bank! What a treat! ;D

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 03:06:58 PM »
RTC was published by my father in law in 1920 at the request of Consul General George Romanovsky

Elizaveta

Golly gee whiz,  I do hope Elizavata is who she claims to be.... 'Cause that would sure answer a lot of questions.

Sorry gang,  but you never know  

So, assuming you are whom you say you are,  I have a question.  Why did   Consul General George Romanovsky ask your father-in-law and McGarry to write this fiction?  ???

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2004, 05:20:01 PM »
Seems pretty obvious- he wanted  to raise money !! Russian conuls & embassies all over the world were cut off from homeland funds & the movie business in those days was the equivalent of our "silicon valley" gold rush of modern times.
I have the book as well, I foeget when & where I bought it, must have been years ago at some used bookstore for  a tiny amount of money- I'll gladly sell it to anyone for less than $700 !! [I never took the thing seriously, it is shelved under "trashy fiction"]
Cheers
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2004, 05:21:52 PM »

Golly gee whiz,  I do hope Elizavata is who she claims to be.... 'Cause that would sure answer a lot of questions.

AGRBear

Elizaveta is exactly who she claims to be...  ;D
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 12:26:49 PM »
I will add to Penny's attest that "Elizaveta" is a dear friend and the daughter in law of the publisher of "RTC", hence exactly who she says she is.

Which begs the question - who exactly is AGRBear? I have been told she is a writer of a book being discussed in this Forum. If so, it would be a shame not to be able to discuss it with her, considering the subject matter of her book.

Offline stepan

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 02:40:35 PM »
I wonder if Elizaveta knows something about George Romanovsky´s background? Perhaps this should not be in this thread but as he´s brought up here I ask. I think I read somewhere that he was a descendant of  the Leuchtenburg family, thus a Romanov relative. I haven´t seen any information on him so I´m curious. Perhaps someone knows more about him?        Stepan.

Offline stepan

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 03:46:52 PM »
Thank you very much Elizaveta for this information on George Romanovsky!  I saw a picture of him together with Mr and Mrs McGarry in McNeal´s book. They seem to have been good fiends.  

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 03:54:05 PM »
RTC was published by my father in law in 1920 at the request of Consul General George Romanovsky.  He had written this piece of pure fiction with his cohort, Wm McGarry, with the hopes of selling it to Hearst for a movie.  That did not happen, the book was reviewed very badly, and ended up on the remaindered table for $1.00.
....Elizaveta

I've always disliked the use of pronouns.

I completely misunderstood when you had said "He had written the piece of pure fiction."  You were speaking about your father-in-law and  some reason I didn't link "He" to Romanovsky.

Sorry
:-[

More importantly,  I am glad you are who you are.   :)

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2004, 02:21:37 PM »
AGRBear,
We have come out to you, why don't you come out to us, and tell us who you are??

That will clean the air even more, don't you think?

Best Regards,

Arturo Vega-Llausás
Arturo Vega-Llausás

rskkiya

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 09:17:47 AM »
Valmont
It becomes very clear that Agrbear will NEVER explain her "Herr XXX" story.  In all honesty I do wonder if there really is a "Herr XXX" story at all. Perhaps she was just  making some 'historical noises." ( another throughback to the modern NeoPagan community in which people like to claim to have mystical occult knowledge---but never want to tell just what it is...)

Ah Well... I thought that RTC was very poorly written and not at all interesting. It seemed abit like a lot of pseudohistories about Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster -- the notion that the lack of evidence proves that its All True!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by rskkiya »