Author Topic: Books on the Hesse Royals  (Read 113923 times)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
Re: Books on the Hesse Royals
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006, 12:35:13 AM »
You give me the following:

Hessian Tapestry
A Family of Kings
Grandmama of Europe
The Lalor trilogy
Queen Mary
The Last Courts of Europe
QVD
The Grand Duchesses
The Grand Dukes
La Familia de la Reina Sofia
Los Borbones de Andalusia
Los Desconocidos Infantes de España
My Fifty Years

Oh and WAR AND PEACE

Leave me alone for several years and I will be a happy, happy man!

Artuor Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Alicky1872

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006, 04:24:44 AM »
Leave me alone for several years and I will be a happy, happy man!

Artuor Beéche

Funny, that's what my husband tells me.  ;)

Alixz

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2006, 06:10:59 PM »
Mrs. Eddy   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2006, 08:52:43 AM »
Thank you for the information!

I know it sounds silly but I love my books to be in as good condition as possible! Any one else like that?  ;D  :) :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2006, 09:02:06 AM »
Of course! Especially my photo books, those ones I have to have them in good condition or thereabouts. Some of the more common books, though, don't necessarily have to be in great condition. (Like Nicholas and Alexandra, my copy is battered.)

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2006, 11:23:17 AM »
Thank you for the information!

I know it sounds silly but I love my books to be in as good condition as possible! Any one else like that?  ;D  :) :)

I do...i I find a better copy of a book I own, I immediately buy it...I like all my books to be with dustjacket, if possible, and cover these with special plastic wrappers to protect their condition.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »

I do...i I find a better copy of a book I own, I immediately buy it...I like all my books to be with dustjacket, if possible, and cover these with special plastic wrappers to protect their condition.

Arturo Beéche

Like they do at libraries? Me too, at least to the ones I use a lot. I did it to my copy of the Jiri Louda book.

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2006, 07:21:06 PM »
I'm not the only saddo!

I'm obsessive about my books.  My friends call me 'the library' because they all borrow my books, but as I always say to them, my books are my babies and I'll know if they've even so much as slightly bashed a corner. Desperately sad, but come on, books are precious!

I like old books the best.  My favourites are the Everyman series published in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  They're small little hardbacks with decorative spines and beautifully decorated inside, and you can pick them up so cheap.  You can get poems, novels, plays, essays, biographies, historical works...they're fantastic! I always buy used books unless I have to have a book when it comes out, like Harry Potter or Romanov stuff, because I love reading a book and finding little turned over pages, or worn bits, or squashed insects, or coffee/tea rings...it's history in your hands, and it's also a connection to the past through sharing a story that so many people before you have loved and will continue to do so after you're gone...I just love knowing that 100 years ago someone was reading the same page as me and laughing at the same bit..it's weird but cool at the same time.

Ok, back to my hole now...

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2006, 10:10:36 PM »
I'm not the only saddo!

I'm obsessive about my books.  My friends call me 'the library' because they all borrow my books, but as I always say to them, my books are my babies and I'll know if they've even so much as slightly bashed a corner. Desperately sad, but come on, books are precious!

I like old books the best.  My favourites are the Everyman series published in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  They're small little hardbacks with decorative spines and beautifully decorated inside, and you can pick them up so cheap.  You can get poems, novels, plays, essays, biographies, historical works...they're fantastic! I always buy used books unless I have to have a book when it comes out, like Harry Potter or Romanov stuff, because I love reading a book and finding little turned over pages, or worn bits, or squashed insects, or coffee/tea rings...it's history in your hands, and it's also a connection to the past through sharing a story that so many people before you have loved and will continue to do so after you're gone...I just love knowing that 100 years ago someone was reading the same page as me and laughing at the same bit..it's weird but cool at the same time.

Ok, back to my hole now...

Rachel
xx

Straying wildly off topic, but sometimes you'll find something more than a tea ring in a book. I got a book of Anne Boleyn secondhand and the previous owner had stuck a print of a portrait I had never seen before into the book.

Okay, enough of my off topic rants. ::)

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2006, 10:55:20 PM »
Lucky you, Ritka.  :D

On the subject of preferring books in pristine condition, I suppose we'd all like them to be this way. Personally, if I had a choice of a book that was a bit dog-eared or had a coffee cup ring on it or not having it at all, I know what I'd choose!  

As for buying a better copy of a book I already owned, that would not be an option for my budget!

I look after them but don't treat them like diamonds either -- sometimes I use a book stop to read whilst I'm eating and drinking -- they exist to enjoy though I'd be seriously peeved if I soiled a photo... >:(
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Grace »

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2006, 06:15:29 PM »
Like they do at libraries? Me too, at least to the ones I use a lot. I did it to my copy of the Jiri Louda book.

I try doing so as soon as the book arrives so the dustjacket stays as pristine as possible. They do end up occupying more space on the bookshelf, but they look so much nicer.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 07:15:20 AM »
Ah, Hessian Tapestry.  :)  It was one of the early books I read and I spent years looking for it. (This was pre-Internet) I went through used bookstores in every place I visited. Even on my honeymoon, in London, I spent time canvassing bookstores, hoping I'd have better luck in England. (Bob has the patience of a saint! He accompanied me on 9 out of 10 of these trips) Finally, with the advent of the internet, back in '96 I was able to purchase a copy through abebooks.com. I was so excited--I almost couldn't believe I'd finally be getting my own copy. It was a happy day when it arrived and has occupied a place of honor ever since. Just thinking about it brings back memories of days when there was so much I didn't know about many of QV's descendants and what a thrill it was when I came across a book such as this.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 02:14:45 AM »
Can I just say, I am about half way through this and I am loving it.  

It's a bit flowery but other than that I am enjoying it so much! I'm learning so much I never knew before, and it's fantastic being able to read about the Hesse sisters, who are just footnotes in other books I have.

I highly recommend it to anyone who can find a copy!

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2006, 06:52:35 AM »
I'm just back on the Forum after a major computer failure (formerly Markov), and thrilled to find a new thread on David Duff! Thanks Rachel, and well done for finding 'Hessian Tapestry', which was given to me as a gift when it first appeared in 1967, and has been a constant source of information and enlightenment ever since! The notes and bibliography have led me to some exciting primary sources too. I also liked 'The Shy Princess', 'Edward of Kent', 'Queen Mary' and, perhaps my favourite living as I do not so far from Sandringham, 'Whisper Louise', which tells the story of Louise Cresswell and her struggles to farm in Norfolk at a time when the Prince of Wales (later Edward VII) was breeding millions of pheasants to be blasted out of the sky by himself and his guests. David Duff gives a sympathetic account of the ups and downs of Mrs Cresswell, who was a strong and determined woman ~ and quite prepared to stand up to royalty! She also wrote her own story I believe, but I've never seen it. Great to see David Duff remembered so fondly by forum members.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2006, 06:58:24 AM »
Thank you Markov, I can't speak highly enough of Hessian Tapestry too! I actually saw a copy of David Duffs "Queen Mary" in Sutton Library of all places. I had a quick look through and it looked very good!! am keeping my eyes peeled!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eddieboy_uk »
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.