Author Topic: Count Louis Philippe de Paris (1838-94) and his family  (Read 102982 times)

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
Re: Count Louis Philippe de Paris (1838-94) and his family
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 11:51:27 AM »
Hélène and Emanuele Filiberto, Manolo, were separated by 1902. Their separation, however, was very friendly and they always remained in good terms. Manolo told a relative that he was once in a hotel with one of his girlfriends, when he heard familiar noise from a couple having sex in the room next door.

The morning after, he was told that it was his wife who was in that room. So he sent her a bunch of roses with a note saying: " I hope you had a great night, darling. Manolo". So we could say theirs was an open marriage!

After Manolo's death Hélène married, in 1936, Oddone Maria Campini (1872-1951), with whom she lived the rest of her life.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Alicky1872

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 06:27:25 AM »
Hélène and Emanuele Filiberto, Manolo, were separated by 1902. Their separation, however, was very friendly and they always remained in good terms. Manolo told a relative that he was once in a hotel with one of his girlfriends, when he heard familiar noise from a couple having sex in the room next door.

The morning after, he was told that it was his wife who was in that room. So he sent her a bunch of roses with a note saying: " I hope you had a great night, darling. Manolo". So we could say theirs was an open marriage!

After Manolo's death Hélène married, in 1936, Oddone Maria Campini (1872-1951), with whom she lived the rest of her life.

:o :o Thank you for this story, Umigon! What a treat!  ;D ;D ;D

Alicky1872

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 05:58:12 PM »
Maybe someone can tell me...where did Helene live between her separation in 1902, and her remarriage in 1936?

Offline Ed_Hanson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 05:26:08 PM »
As far as I know, the only reference to a possible union between the Tsarevich and Princess Helene d'Orleans comes from a diary entry by Nicholas on 29 January 1892.  Is there any other evidence?

"While I was talking to Mama this morning she made several hints about Helene, the daughter of the Comte de Paris, which puts me in an awkward position.  I am at the crossing of two paths; I myself want to go in the other direction, while Mama obviously wants me to take this one!  What will happen?"

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2006, 05:11:13 PM »
Philippe, duke of Orléans(1869-1926), seems an intringuing person.

He had a miserable childhood together with his siblings, dominated by a father who never gave up the hope of becoming king of France and a mother who phisically punished her children even when they were grown up.
(His sister Amélie, Q.of Portugal confirmed those abuses).

After the family had to leave ... again .. to exile, he presented himself in France to be incorporated in the french army, and he was immediately arrested and sent out of the country.

He made an unhappy marriage to his cousin A.D. Maria Dorothea of Habsburg.
The couple never divorced but soon they were living apart.

Was there a little "touch" of tante Clémentine in this wedding ? Clémentine was the match maker of the family, and Dorothea's grand-mother.

Philip had 4 sisters:
1. Amélie, queen of Portugal
2. Hélène, duchess of Aosta and 2ndly Mrs Campini
3. Isabelle, duchess of Guise
4. Louise, princess of the Two-Sicilies
and a brother:
Ferdinand, duke of Montpensier

I would like to know more about Isabelle, Louise and Ferdinand.
What were their main interests ?

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »
Still no news about this family  ??? ?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 12:56:04 AM »
There's information on Amelie and Helene on the Forum. A search would need to be done--I don't know if any have threads devoted to them.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 01:01:48 AM »
Philippe was apparently a keen photographer. He has some works that are in the Musee d'Orsay.

In autumn of 2000 the museum acquired at auction over 250 of his prints c.1905. Since Philippe died without heirs, his dynastic rights (as pretender to the French throne) were then conferred to his cousin Jean, Duc de Guise. Jean's son, Henri, was the latter possessor of these photographs.

Philippe was extremely well-travelled (India, Ethiopia, Arctic), a hunter, ornithologist and taxidermist. His photographs reflects this and several series show him taking part in the favourite pastimes of European aristocratic circles of the early twentieth century: horse-riding, hunting, water sports, picnics, motoring, near Palermo or near Seville, in the Guadalquivir delta or in Bulgaria, or on his second yacht, the Belgica.

If some pictures were probably taken by various members of his entourage, friends or relatives – his sitter Queen Amélie, wife of King Carlos of Portugal, being herself an amateur photographer - , most of the prints appear to be the work of the Duc d'Orléans himself. In these snapshots, taken with one of the small panoramic cameras by Kodak that appeared on the market from the years 1899-1900 onwards (probably the Kodak Panoram number 3 or 4) and that allow for angles of 110 to 140 degrees, he proved to be an unequalled amateur photographer. He manipulated the camera as a virtuoso, both horizontally and vertically, showing a sensitive sense of composition and construction of the picture in many successive planes, sometimes playing facetiously with the distortions resulting from the use of the wide angle lens.

Philippe is famous for returning to France in 1890, despite the exile laws that, since 1886, had kept the royal family at bay. Arrested as he turned up at the Paris recruiting office to comply with conscription (which explains his nickname of prince gamelle, "Mess tin prince"), he was sentenced to two years in gaol and expelled from French territory.

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2006, 04:07:17 PM »
Once again I would like someone to post a photo of Ferdinand, dk Montpensier, (brother of Philip) and of his wife marquise de Valdeterrazzo.

I would also appreciate one of Robert (1866-85) brother of Dk of Chartres, Colonel Ciampini, Hélène Aosta 2nd husband , the count of EU and his bro-in-law cd Czartorysky.

Thanks in advance

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 12:00:04 PM »
It is interesting reading the story of Helene's life. She was certainly very aristocratic looking, although not a ravishing beauty in the modern sense. I think there needs to be more info about her in books certainly. She played important roles in royal history, but it seems so often her name is mentioned in books and little else. That story about her, and Manolo is interesting. Sounds like it was not such a rigid royal marriage as some, even in discord! Anyway, I think she was a vague candidtate for Nicholas's hand, even though Prince Eddy was her true love at this time.

Offline La_Rainha

• Loving old Royalty photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2006, 09:23:40 AM »
I read, that Eddy was Helenes great love!
The reason, that they didn`t get married, was a religian one! To be the Bride of Eddy, Helene has to change her catholic religion and the Pope forbit her changing the religion!

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2006, 09:35:50 AM »
That's right, La Rainha...though I don't think it all got as far as the Pope...Helene's father refused to allow her to change her religion to marry Eddy so there was little more that could be done.  

I think they could have been happy together, though it's been suggested that she could have somewhat overwhelmed him as she was a very strong character.  Who knows?

I wonder if any photos were ever taken which included the two of them?  I don't mean as a couple but in a group or something?  Would be great to see...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Grace »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2006, 03:37:11 PM »
I believe the Pope was consulted on the matter. Regardless of the religious differences, I don't know (despite how QV was swayed) whether it would've ever been feasible politically. The daughter of the French pretender to the throne as Queen of England, when England and France were building diplomatic relations? I don't know if British politicians would've gone for it. I think I read in one of the Eddy bios (perhaps Aronson's) that Bertie wasn't too keen on it and that it was Alexandra who was chiefly pushing the match.

Not published, but perhaps in family archives somewhere, I would think there are photos of them. The Orleans family lived in England and were in close contact with the British royals. There are later pictures of Helene with the family after Eddy's death and her marriage.

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2006, 06:10:36 PM »
They had a common great-great-grandfather in Charles IV of Spain - Helene through her mother Isabelle d'Orleans, whose mother was a Spanish infanta, and Elisabeth through her grandfather King Michael of Portugal, son of a Spanish Infanta. This is the nearest relationship I can find.

They had lots of common ancestors but Charles IV of Spain was the nearest one.

http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=pt;em=R;ei=159413;et=A;color=;i=224377